shape
carat
color
clarity

sell me on CS solitaires!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dabble in CS stones, but I can't managed to love a CS stone without a little bit of diamond to go along with it. I am sure there are lots of you on here with CS solitaires. I would looove to see them. Tell me why you love them.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with you Niel. I need a little white sparkle with my CS as I find it sets them off nicely. But I think if I had some nice texture to the setting (e.g. engraving, curvy metal work, etc), I might be okay with it solo.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not into a plain Tiffany style solitaire, it has to have some more design to it, but I love my chrysoberyl in the art deco repro setting because it surrounds the gem with metal, and that enhances the diamond cut facet pattern.

_21437.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
after having so many and selling them all, I only find that I truly love CS with diamonds for me...However, I do love CS solitaire in a modern/contemporary tension style design like this since I like interest in the whole set, not just the color of the CS or Faceting, but also what holds the CS.

cstension.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
DandT|1408249692|3734072 said:
after having so many and selling them all, I only find that I truly love CS with diamonds for me...However, I do love CS solitaire in a modern/contemporary tension style design like this since I like interest in the whole set, not just the color of the CS or Faceting, but also what holds the CS.

Who did that setting?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Some bling is always nice with a colored stone & often helps its presentation, depending on size & shape. For the right stone, though, a solitaire can be just a stunning -- and stylish -- way to let it grab attention. I don't know what is prettier than the peridot ring that Yorkgirl just posted. Sally's setting, as we see in her photos, has extra good stuff on shank & gallery, but still, the peridot is the definite star of the show.

image_2154.jpg

image_2156.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See my problem is after buying and selling so many things, I fond pave just entirely "too much" for me. I like a lot of gold. But in the same sense I feel like in photos I only like pave'd up settings. So RL and my pinterest boards don't match up lol.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm for me it depends on the CS size. Smaller stones look great set off by diamonds but in the 2+ range, it starts looking too cocktailly to wear everyday. I also want my diamond wedding set do be the star on my left hand, and the right hand CS ring to be a supporting player. :dance:

ETA: niel I feel like pave is just perfect in photos but in real life, I'm not a fan.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Come to think of it, my blue spinel ring is basically a solitaire (by Michael E., give him a plug!). It has yellow sapphire pavé on the shank, but when I considered side stones or halo, I kept feeling the spinel looked happiest by itself without noisy neighbors.

I am not really a fan of a plain Tiffany-type setting unless the stone is a real WOW. I'd love to see some from PSers that should change my mind!

--- Laurie

_21439.jpg

_21440.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1408269979|3734137 said:

Who did that setting?

Hi Andelain :wavey: I can't remember, I google searched it one day, saved it, for an inspiration for a time when I found an amazing CS to put it in :love:

Its gorgeous! ehh?

Niel said:
See my problem is after buying and selling so many things, I fond pave just entirely "too much" for me. I like a lot of gold. But in the same sense I feel like in photos I only like pave'd up settings. So RL and my pinterest boards don't match up lol.

haha... I love love love seeing paves in pictures too, BUT... ultimately, My FAVORITE love of CS is in a three stone ideal, or with just a few diamonds mostly in channel set (For me)

But I agree with JewelFreak that the stone would have to have that WOW factor to be in a plain Setting and even then, I would still pair it with a diamond band, but if I already have a little bit of diamonds on the CS setting, I'm totally ok with a plain band.

Here are the CS rings I'm left with.

JewelFreak- I love the Prongs on your ring and yummy GOLD!!! :love: . Michael makes great prongs, Not too dainty but Just right. He made my ring and prongs for my EC spinel three stone, and they are perfect for my taste ::) but.. he set my spinel a little wonky, and I haven't made an effort to contact him to mail it back or want to part with my Spinel again :wacko:

ETA: Oops forgot to mention that my all time favorite CS solitaire is Chrono's Asscher

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jw-pink-spinel-asscher-reset.182140/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jw-pink-spinel-asscher-reset.182140/[/URL]

jw_spinel_3_hand.jpg

_21441.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here are a few that i saw that actually prompted me to start this thread. Maybe its the color metal? maybe its the texture? I dunno. But i really like whats goin on here lol.

b112b63c38fbfe332e2cc113e99a78a6.jpg

a86a5f1d9c8a466bbcdcd6b81e467f83-178x178.png

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I prefer a gemstone by it's self. Don't care for those blinggy halo's at all. Here are a few that my customers have sent in of stones they had mounted.

bluezirconring2small.jpg

_21463.jpg

_21464.jpg

dsc03421rs.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all those! I actually was just about to post that JM bezel. Its amazing. JM seems to have lots of examples of great solitaires.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Mmmm, I love these pics of tsav and mahenge solitaire rings that athenaworth had made. (I know she sold them later on LT so I don't know who owns them now...they were way too small for me and I was worried about sizing so I didn't buy them, but I wish I could have!!). I just love the very thick gold look here, especially with the tsav.

_21465.jpg

_21467.jpg

amyek

Rough_Rock
I adore cs solitaires. In fact, that's how most of my cs ring stones are set. See....

Afghani Tourm (blue green) cut by Gene
Malaya Garnet (orange pink) cut by Dan Stair
Yellow Garnet cut by Jeff Davies' cutting house

1508181_10203733391805994_6833211970194503690_n.jpg

_264.jpeg

1013558_10151933490860505_1683112831_1.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw this on Etsy recently and thought it was very pretty:

il_570xn_78.jpg il_570xn_77.jpg

I would probably have it made with a selection of bigger round CS bezel-set and interchangeable.

DK :))

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1408293641|3734257 said:
I prefer a gemstone by it's self. Don't care for those blinggy halo's at all. Here are a few that my customers have sent in of stones they had mounted.

Love that last one in your post! :love:

amyek

Rough_Rock
DK - That looks like Jessi's work (Distinction Jewelry). I have several pieces from her. She's wonderful.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amyek|1408302521|3734313 said:
DK - That looks like Jessi's work (Distinction Jewelry). I have several pieces from her. She's wonderful.

Indeed, and thanks for the feedback about her work.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The nice thing about simple solitaires is that you can dress them up with eternity bands for a little extra bling if you decide you're in the mood, and smaller cs plain solitaires can make good stackers.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hoping to have my own stacker set, something like this:

images__23_.jpg

using the emerald, topaz, amethyst and oval ruby cabochon in this pic:

gemstoneshk2013_01.jpg

Here's another solitaire design that I like and am thinking of having a pink sapphire bezel set in the middle, a simple ring for daily wear:

images__28_.jpg

P.S. I prefer solitaires as they suit me better for informal day to day wear. However, I am not going to say no to more ornate pieces for special occasion wear. :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boone Rings has a selection of tension-set solitaires, and I particularly like the Helixx Pearl (got a pearl for it already), the Sculpted Round and Heart, Emerald with a Twist, and Square Back Princess, in cobalt chrome:

http://www.boonerings.com/stone.htm

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Really yummy rings above. I have always thought of a solitaire, though, as a single stone, prong set, with a plain, pave, or engraved band but no other ornament around the gem -- I wouldn't call the flower one that DK posted a solitaire, pretty as it is. Have I been wrong all my life?

--- Laurie

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps I interpret it wrong in thinking solitaire is any ring with a single stone.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought this spinel preloved from NKOTB and had it set in 18K. I love the buttery gold with the color of the stone. For me, if the stone is < 1.5 carat I usually like a simple solitaire, and if it is bigger I like accent stones to make it more of a cocktail ring.

Katharath - I got the Athenaworth mahenge and it is more beautiful in person. She did a great job selecting the stone and setting. It's a little snug on me but I just couldn't pass it up. I wear it whenever it is cold enough I know my fingers won't swell. The things we do for our sparklies :twirl:

_21480.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1408312393|3734403 said:
Perhaps I interpret it wrong in thinking solitaire is any ring with a single stone.

I, also, interpret a solitaire being one stone set in metal. Could be set a number of ways and the metal could be in a number of different designs, but the basic one stone +metal is what I call a solitaire

megthered

Rough_Rock
I love a CS in a solitare setting better than anything else. I am not a diamond person at all and l love these solitare settings. It seems so difficult to find a ring with no diamonds and some of the jewelers I have talked to just seem to expect to put them in. I had one tell me the stone looked naked without something to bling it up.

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
I love some of the multi stone rings I've seen pictured here. But I know I would not wear them, they a not my style. I'm a single stone woman. I will wear more than one solitaire on the same finger. I like clean, classic lines, with a little funk and I always have.

_8876.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My definition of a solitaire is just the centre stone and all metal setting (no diamond or other gem accents). I think this can be done very beautifully and still allow the center CS to be the star, even if it is a smaller sized stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1408364459|3734699 said:
My definition of a solitaire is just the centre stone and all metal setting (no diamond or other gem accents). I think this can be done very beautifully and still allow the center CS to be the star, even if it is a smaller sized stone.

Like your chrysoberyl ring. :naughty:

Gorgeous!! You should post a pic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results