shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy to consider this OEC?

Given my concerns, should I buy the ring?

• A. You only live once! Do it!

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • B. No, you won't wear it enough to justify the cost.

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have been stalking this ring all summer. It is a 1.31 carat Platinum setting certified by GSL (????) as a K VS . It is priced at $6800 plus tax. I looooove the setting. I looooove the stone.

image_2151.jpg

So what's the problem? Other than the fact that I would have to sell off a lot of my other pieces to pay for this,
a. WOULD IT BE TOO BLINGY or too E-RINGy TO WEAR ON MY RIGHT-HAND ON A REGULAR BASIS? Since I would have to sell off a lot of my right hand ring collection, I would only be left with this baby.
B. If I decide to rotate it with my Ering, (my hubby is totally opposed to this) would it be a suitable replacement as an Ering? My hubby says that it would be more of a downgrade.

TIA for your replies
Here is my eRing image_1915.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I had that ring, I wouldn't need other RHRs. It's gorgeous. And I don't even care what the 'real color grade' is if you have seen it in person and love it.

I had the chance to buy a similar ring, that I adored and I passed it up. I am STILL kicking myself.

So count me in the WORTH IT camp.

And yes, you could rotate it out with your engagement ring. And I don't think it's a downgrade. I think it's just different.

I LOVE IT.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1408169149|3733517 said:
If I had that ring, I wouldn't need other RHRs. It's gorgeous. And I don't even care what the 'real color grade' is if you have seen it in person and love it.

I had the chance to buy a similar ring, that I adored and I passed it up. I am STILL kicking myself.

So count me in the WORTH IT camp.

And yes, you could rotate it out with your engagement ring. And I don't think it's a downgrade. I think it's just different.

I LOVE IT.

OMG!!! I jumped up and down and ran to show my hubby your post (he knows who you are bc I am always telling him about your vast knowledge of diamonds) so he is now open to the idea :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

To all other readers, please chime in! At least vote--it's anonymous and free!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm honored. I do think it's really lovely. But I'm just one person, and not that special. So... let's keep that in mind. ;))

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would not wear that ring as an ering, I would keep it as a RHR for sure. It looks to be super blingy, are you ok with a flashy ring that will get noticed or will the attention bother you?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this ring. I agree with lknvrb4. I would wear it as a right hand ring and not an ER but again it is a personal choice. Nothing wrong with wearing it as whatever ring you want. If your dh is not onboard with wearing it as an ER then keep it as a RHR. It is gorgeous. :love:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're not crazy! That ring is stunning. I have a few rings that I alternate with my engagement ring. However, I still wear my wedding band, so my husband feels okay with that. Maybe your husband is feeling a little slighted that you don't want to wear your ER all the time? Just a thought. Regardless, that would make a wonderful right hand ring. If you are really in love with it, don't let it be the one that got away. These antique rings are very much one of a kind.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Put another vote in the "live it to pieces, would totally wear it as a RHR" column. To me, that doesn't look like an ering, so I wouldn't see it as an alternative to that lovely solitaire of yours ... but I see that as a nice way to introduce variety and not a drawback.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider it a RHR too. It's beautiful, you love it, get it!! So fun to find something that you just can't get out of your mind - then you know it's meant to be!

k_darling

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes! It would be a gorgeous RHR! The faceting is lovely.

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
It would make an amazing RHR! Go for it!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YOLO so buy it & love it! I think it could be a nice combo ering/wedding ring for days you just want to wear one on that finger, or a gorgeous RHR. Either way ... Love it! :love:

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Life is short. Get the Ring you love and wear it all the time.

Be careful about sizing though! :!: (This can be a big problem with lovely vintage pieces.)

If the ring is in it's original shape it can usually be safely re-sized 2 sizes in either direction.
If it's a vintage piece that has all ready been resized and you need to size it up or down further, it might not be possible (eg. original size 9 down to size 7, and now you need it to be size 5 won't work and vice versa with up-sized rings).

Please post hand shots when you get your new ring. :love:

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, I think the ring would make a spectacular RHR :love: And the make on the OEC looks to be a gorgeous make too.

I would simply caution you to make sure that there is no damage to the stone you cannot see, and that the setting is in sound condition. Minor issues are to be expected (miniscule chips along the girdle of the stone, some repairs/refurb to the setting, etc) but that is par for the course.

Good luck! :appl: :appl:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I'd wear that thing every day of the week and twice on Sundays as a RHR. :love: :love: :love: :love:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, thanks for all the support you have offered me! I keep showing my hubby the posts in hopes of convincing him! I have to say, I think it's working! In the mean time, I am going to get busy listing a bunch of pretties to see if I can swing this purchase. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let hubby know, it's not about replacing your ering; it's about having options ... like guys needing 5 different fishing rods, hunting rifles, or putters. :D

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, I think you just found your new right hand ring. It's absolutely stunning!!!! Sell your other rings and don't look back. I'm in the same camp as Gypsy. I think you would always regret not buying this one. When come across a beauty like this I feel it's meant to be.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring is absolutely gorgeous Nala, I would totally go for it!!! My opinion is a bit different from some others - I see no reason why this couldn't be worn as an alternate ering if you can get your husband on board. I don't see it as a downgrade at all. IMO any ring worn on the left hand ring finger constitutes a ring that represents marriage. Lately I've been wearing my Kate Middleton sapphire ring as an alternate ering and I love it. I don't wear rhrs so any ring I wear is an ering lol.

That said, I say get this as a rhr for now and maybe hubby will mellow over time :cheeky: , if you would like to wear this as an ering down the road. It is an absolutely amazing ring and I would be thrilled to own it.

As for being too blingy, lately I've learned there are certain times in life when it's just not convenient or appropriate to wear any bling at all, even something simple. I've been in the trenches these past few weeks caring for my sick elderly mother and I just wore a band. Any kind of diamonds or ering just seemed…unnecessary. So I think sometimes we have to adjust wearing our bling to what's going on in our lives at the time, even if it's something of a more simple design.

Good luck with your decision!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ eta, too late to edit -didn't really address this - I don't think it's too blingy to wear on an everyday basis.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say get it if you love it. I prefer the look of your engagement ring though so if it was me it would stay a right-hand ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results