shape
carat
color
clarity

I live in a warzone. Oh wait, no, I'm in St. Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am from St. Louis, lived here all my life save for college. I live about opposite Ferguson on a map within the county, and I am disgusted and ashamed by the way our police, those who should be protecting and serving us, are behaving. A young man was murdered by a police officer, on duty, in uniform, in front of witnesses, some of whom have provided the investigating departments with their evidence, some of whom were not interviewed for days after the incident. His parents weren't spoken with or even apologized to, and until today weren't able to take possession of his body, which now they're going to have independently autopsied, and who knows what will be discovered. I don't believe for a second that his killing was justified, not one single millisecond, because if there was evidence indicating otherwise, we would have heard it by now. The fact that there is NO transparency in this investigation is telling. And frightening. The fact that the FBI and DOJ were almost immediately brought in to investigate alongside the county is equally telling.

I am further outraged that there is a "media blackout" surrounding the current events unfolding in that suburb. I relied on Antonio French and his constant Twitter updates for accurate reporting of what was going on as it happened, as well as the The St. Louis Post-Dispatch & STLtoday.com photographers and the few reporters from local and national media that were able to stay in the fray. I am enraged that many of them have been arrested, as well as SENATORS who were also PEACEFULLY PROTESTING, after being shot, teargassed, having lasers on sniper rifles pointed at them, among other atrocities not even experienced by active military in actual warzones, enacted at them by our local police. It is illegal to ban journalism and the media from filming you in action. Look it up. And every lawsuit disputing that finds against law enforcement, every. single. time. And your desire to not be filmed in action further indicates you're DOING SOMETHING WRONG. The Huffington Post and Washington Post reporters who were arrested and assaulted ON FILM yesterday by our local officers exposed nationally how grave this situation really is. Our Police Chief didn't even know about it til another member of the media alerted him to it. His reaction? Oh Crap. Yea, Oh crap is right! Al-Jazeera's crew got attacked with a teargas canister last night, while being filmed by another news crew. While they were fleeing from the gas, the officers swarmed their equipment, trying to seize it. When they realized they were being filmed by the other crew, they stopped and retreated. That is not acceptable.

The protesting is peaceful until the militarized police arrive, with their tanks and snipers and assault rifles. Ferguson itself doesn't have this type of force, they're backed by the St. Louis County Police Department, and surrounding Municipalities. Each and every time there's been a gathering without officers, it's gone just fine, no issues. But when you bring in an over armed force such as this, things will escalate. Citizens will feel threatened and will retaliate. Telling people to "go home" when they ARE HOME does not aid this. The fact that more local citizens--frankly, WHITE citizens--are not outraged by this, and instead are choosing to take the "these n-word animals deserve it" stance--I see it all over my Facebook feed, hear it around me in public, I see it on my television and hear it on my radio--it makes me angry on the verge of tears. The fact that the KKK came out to one of their peaceful protests (in Clayton) in full hoods and is offering "protection" to the chosen whites who fear "them" made me nearly vomit. While others f@cking cheer. This is Missouri, this is the cross section of our country. And that is sickening.

I am white, and I can state that there is "white privilege." Here and everywhere. I am a beneficiary of it. I have been beneficiary of it my entire life. I have no idea what these folks in Ferguson, really anyone of a different race, anywhere, experience. The most "profiling" I experience is when I go to a more wealthy area than where I live and I am "cased" by residents and shopkeepers alike to gauge my wealth level and whether or not I am able to spend money in their stores on what I am looking at. It doesn't make it any less obnoxious, but then they take my money, if I choose to spend it there, compliment my hair, or my purse or my rings, and I go on my way. A blip in their day. These folks often, usually, don't get that benefit, because in some of the areas I shop, the municipality police are typically immediately called because an African American dared to enter that jurisdiction, and couldn't possibly afford to be there shopping, and could only be there to steal or cause problems. Everyday this happens.

It's disgusting and it needs to stop. People of different races, creeds, sexes are EQUAL, and they should be treated as such. I really don't understand why we haven't come farther in society, and how we've actually gone backwards.

I stand with Ferguson. I will remember that Michael Brown did not deserve his fate, just like many others before and after him didn't deserve theirs. I know this is a hot topic, and it's also a hot enough topic that many people don't even KNOW about it. Last night I believe it really hit the fans enough that it's spreading. You might not agree with my stance, but I LIVE HERE, and I KNOW THIS CITY. It's not all bubblegum and lollipops in that area, but the majority of those people are great people and don't want the shit that is going on. They want justice and answers for this kid and his family. They, like the rest of us here, want to feel safe and like we're not going to experience the same thing he did. The statistics are real. They're out there. And they're scary.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Ame, I feel for you, I would be totally pi$$ed off if it was my town. I'm totally pi$$ed that it's even my country. :(sad

The night Obama was inaugurated, I was elated, I thought we had finally moved beyond racism. I thought we had matured as a country. The days and months that followed showed me otherwise. :nono: And this is just another pile of bullshit to add to the pile.

I think the police are getting carried away in all kinds of instances, all over (the NYPD choke hold for example) the country, and I'm starting to wonder what gives. What's going on, what's feeding this and causing it to flair up lately? It's like the police are turning into thugs.

I'd like to hear from PSers who have family in law enforcement, maybe they know of some kind of frustration or anger brewing? Or is this just isolated insanity?

I used to look to the ACLU for help on these kinds of things (back in the '70's), but they don't seem to do much lately. I donated some money a few years back, but I think they spent it all on sending me letters, trying to get me to donate again.

Ame, please keep us posted. That's the one good thing about the internet: it helps the truth get out . . .

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame, i'm in California but I listen to a very informative radio station, KPFA. they have been covering this. however, I appreciate your additional report. it is indeed scary. the militarization of the police, the prevailing racial attitudes, the economic divide, the disregard for our Bill of Rights, etc are very evident in this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9-11

Bye Bye democracy.
Hello police-state.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Governor has just relieved the current policing situation of their duties. It's now the State Patrol in charge, though frankly, I have equally little faith in them to reign this in.

I do have family in law enforcement, and friends as well, and it's incredibly divided, as you can imagine.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nothing new, but it is getting worse.
There are people with an agenda and by infiltrating groups and pushing for violence they have an excuse for stepping on peoples throats and nothing is done about it.
Divide and conquer, keep people fighting each other so they are too busy to notice what is going on.
Then tax them to death so they cant afford to spend the time to do anything about it.
There is a saying in some circles, how can you tell the fed in any group?
They are the one talking the loudest about killing people, blowing things up or otherwise breaking the law.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If some police didn't learn anything from the cases of Rodney King and Trayvon Martin, they will never learn. It's very sad.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm not going to say much about this because the dialogue is likely to deteriorate quickly on a public forum such as this. However, I don't think that it's fair to say that the protesting is all peaceful unit the the police (militarized or otherwise) arrive. For example, a photographer for the St. Louis Post reported that no police were even around when the looting began at the Quick Trip. Having said that, I don't live there. It's certainly a sad situation all the way around and I'm sorry that you're dealing with that so close to home :(

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The looting was from mostly, if not all, non-Ferguson-residents, as I believe I said earlier. But the tensions did not escalate, none of this craziness started until the police arrived to what was previously peaceful. And I appreciate the conversation not taking on a tone to condone the police response, because there is absolutely NO justification. Period. Nor was the original incident that lead to it.

There's a new "sheriff" in town and the tone in Ferguson is completely different. He is marching WITH the people. Peaceful, and it is literally like night and day. :clap: I hope that everything proceeds peacefully.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1408059252|3732612 said:
The looting was from mostly, if not all, non-Ferguson-residents, as I believe I said earlier. But the tensions did not escalate, none of this craziness started until the police arrived to what was previously peaceful. And I appreciate the conversation not taking on a tone to condone the police response, because there is absolutely NO justification. Period. Nor was the original incident that lead to it.

There's a new "sheriff" in town and the tone in Ferguson is completely different. He is marching WITH the people. Peaceful, and it is literally like night and day. :clap: I hope that everything proceeds peacefully.
It doesn't matter where they came from, it is wrong!... :nono:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, ame.

Deb

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great post. Thanks for raising awareness. I am really sorry you are so disappointed in what you see around you.

We are thinking of moving to the South and I am terrified of being in this position.

Honestly the way things are deteriorating really makes me think we are headed for another civil war in this country.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the South is not where i'd want to be when the lid blows, gypsy......but then there places here in California i'd rather not be when that happens, too. :blackeye:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1408076131|3732790 said:
the South is not where i'd want to be when the lid blows, gypsy......but then there places here in California i'd rather not be when that happens, too. :blackeye:

I know. I keep thinking that. But so far the best lead I have for a good job is in Texas-- and NOT in Austin. :-o Second best lead: Florida :sick:

I keep hoping I'll find something in Colorado (where sanity reigns politically, cost of living is decent and the winters are bearable) but...so far no beans.

I could move to Massachusetts. But... we really hate the winters.

Nor Cal is just to freaking expensive.

And it appears to be coming down to: Blue states with very bad winters and high cost of living. Or Red states with great cost of living and terrible summers.

And cost of living is winning. But I am VERY CONCERNED about it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1408067486|3732708 said:
ame|1408059252|3732612 said:

It doesn't matter where they came from, it is wrong!... :nono:
I find the police response worse. And I find the response of far too many white residents equally disgusting.

I am relieved that last night was peaceful.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my opinion this is not or should not be a black vs white thing.
It is a police vs the people thing and it is happening to all races.
Cops have murdered Whites, Asians, Hispanics and African Americans this year.
It is a fact that the police have created a them vs everyone vibe in much of the country.
Spinning it as black vs white splits the people and allows it to continue.
The only ones it serves are those that want to divide the people making them easier to control.

That said there is no acceptable excuse for looting and it just loses support.
It makes people scared and people don't like being scared.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1408112478|3732950 said:
In my opinion this is not or should not be a black vs white thing.
It is a police vs the people thing and it is happening to all races.
Cops have murdered Whites, Asians, Hispanics and African Americans this year.
It is a fact that the police have created a them vs everyone vibe in much of the country.
Spinning it as black vs white splits the people and allows it to continue.
The only ones it serves are those that want to divide the people making them easier to control.

That said there is no acceptable excuse for looting and it just loses support.
It makes people scared and people don't like being scared.

I agree.

but i'd also say that people don't like the police aiming rifles at their chests when they walk down the street, either.......

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope that now that the officer's name is out, and the absolutely bogus BS report that came out that it took a week to concoct, more gets resolved, but right now, it's gotten quite crazy again, and the protesters and media are not pleased with that announcement. The images of the individual from the security footage in the convenience store show that person wearing slightly different shoes and attire than the deceased and nothing about the incident itself was discussed. The key witness's testimony varies greatly, and the people at the convenience store are no longer willing to speak. I have a huge problem with the idea that a person was encountered and was dead in 180 seconds, with only the chance he could've been accused of shoplifting. People shoplift every day, and assault shopkeepers on their way out, and get nothing more than probation and a fine, not a manhunt.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too think it is bogus, ame.
if it had been "true" it would have been trotted out immediately.
as my husband said, it took them a week to find a report they could attempt to match up with the killing to exonerate the officer.
even in Florida they will trot out a report immediately to substantiate a LE shooting of a citizen.
yes, I too think this is bogus.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1408118799|3733021 said:
I too think it is bogus, ame.
if it had been "true" it would have been trotted out immediately.
as my husband said, it took them a week to find a report they could attempt to match up with the killing to exonerate the officer.
even in Florida they will trot out a report immediately to substantiate a LE shooting of a citizen.
yes, I too think this is bogus.
It's just...sickening at this point. Sickening. This just made the segregation worse. :wall:

And dammit if Jon Stewart, Colbert, Bill Maher are all off this week! I hope Jon Oliver gives this a good one on Sunday. I have a suspicion it will be good when he gets into it.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
It's so sad that there was still unrest last night.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see now the victim has been seen on tape robbing a store prior to being shot and killed.

What a mess.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
And that is in dispute based on the attire worn in the video vs what the victim was wearing in the street. The footwear in particular is different. There's an awful lot in dispute between what happened, the police report, the fact that today is the first time any information was released and witness testimonies.

Also this: Please be aware it's graphic photos.
http://mashable.com/2014/08/15/live-tweet-michael-brown-killing-ferguson/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1408130297|3733141 said:
I see now the victim has been seen on tape robbing a store prior to being shot and killed.

What a mess.

It may not be him. It is a total mess.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I think we should do is sit in our armchairs and use our broad stroke brushes and paint all cops the same way. It's easier, b/c they're all obviously corrupt and shitholes, so let's call a spade a spade, right? There's so much in the media about the corruption in law enforcement, so it must be true in every department full stop across the board, the whole United States, hell the whole fecking planet. Just like there's so much about gun violence, so all gun owners must be ****holes. And really, there's a lot in the news about black people looting and stealing and doing lord knows what, so that tells me they all are like that.

Get rid of the police. And the military. Problem solved.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1408135981|3733196 said:
Elliot86|1408130297|3733141 said:

What a mess.

It may not be him. It is a total mess.

Even if it was him-which I highly doubt-the shooter didn't know it. The shooter didn't yet know that there had been a robbery. Read this excerpt from a report in, "The New York Times".

"Thomas Jackson, the police chief in Ferguson, Mo., said the police officer who fatally shot Michael Brown did not know about an earlier robbery when he stopped Mr. Brown.

Chief Jackson said the police officer stopped Mr. Brown because he was walking in the middle of the street, blocking traffic.

'This robbery does not relate to the initial contact between the officer and Michael Brown,' Chief Jackson said. 'His initial contact was not related to the robbery.'

Chief Jackson came under fire from residents and the family of Mr. Brown, who said that they were 'beyond outraged' that police officials released surveillance video and incident reports that say Mr. Brown was involved in a robbery at a convenience store on the day of the shooting.

Chief Jackson defended the release of the video and images, saying that they were requested by numerous media outlets, and that he had to make the information public under state open records laws. He said that he publicly released the name of the police officer at the same time so that he could make public all of the information that he had."

Deb/AGBF
:read:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been closely following this story and just trying to piece together info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results