shape
carat
color
clarity

Meditation: Anyone here do it?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read the Russell Simmons book, "Success Through Stillness." This book is well written and I just started with meditation per its instructions.

I can't manage the lotus position after breaking my leg and knee in 3 places (2 years ago with 3 months of immobility and atrophy) but I'm working on it. For now, I have released myself from any self-criticism for NOT being able to get in a lotus position :boohoo: and instead I'm using a chair to sit in.

Do we have any PSers who meditate? If so, for how long have you been meditating? What benefits have you seen from it? Any tips for beginners would be appreciated.

I went on the TM.org website, in my state their instruction runs at about $1000.

My goal is to achieve better blood pressure, resistance to stressors, and a clear and calm mind.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been meditating for 10+ years. I'm not sure if I'm "good" at it but I enjoy the experience.

Rather than doing the lotus position, I lay down on a flat surface (bed or couch) and make sure my body temperature is comfortable and then start relaxing all my muscle groups starting with toes and work up from there. In the past, I used relaxation CDs to help me achieve the state I wanted.

Mostly I've found that I get 20-30 minutes of calm and "me time" when I'm having anxiety.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daily. I prefer to be lying down and becoming aware of my muscles and relaxing them, breathing in through my nose and out through mouth. If you want a good meditation soundtrack try Chakra Balancing: Mind Body and Soul by Deepak Chopra.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1407947998|3731559 said:
I've been meditating for 10+ years. I'm not sure if I'm "good" at it but I enjoy the experience.

Rather than doing the lotus position, I lay down on a flat surface (bed or couch) and make sure my body temperature is comfortable and then start relaxing all my muscle groups starting with toes and work up from there. In the past, I used relaxation CDs to help me achieve the state I wanted.

Mostly I've found that I get 20-30 minutes of calm and "me time" when I'm having anxiety.

Good to hear the lotus position is not a deal breaker for you either. I think anyone who has/had an injury could have some trouble with the ol' lotus position. Thank you for responding with your experience. I've only been trying this a couple of days but I'm a lot calmer and I'm more even, which I really appreciate.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1407949202|3731580 said:
Daily. I prefer to be lying down and becoming aware of my muscles and relaxing them, breathing in through my nose and out through mouth. If you want a good meditation soundtrack try Chakra Balancing: Mind Body and Soul by Deepak Chopra.
on m

Hey, thank you for responding, another lying down meditation, good to hear. I'll give that MP3 a try, thank you for the recommendation.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do it either laying down or sitting in a chair, just focusing on my breath.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Have meditated on and off for years with different kinds.

Lately am back to doing Cardiac Coherence mediation which was helpful for my anxiety and panic attacks. After 2 weeks of doing it, stopped the panic attacks cold (6 years ago). Have started back up as I've begun a new, incredibly stressful job that is causing stress-related health issues.

I do CC sitting up, eyes closed, palm against chest lying over my heart.

Got for it and stick to it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I do it -- I'm not real great at it, but I do it every morning & it helps. I'd have to break my legs to get them into a lotus position; I meditate lying down or sitting on the floor.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I've tried it before and it hasn't worked out so well. I find that rather than having a relaxing experience, my mind wanders and focuses on all of the things that I should be doing rather than meditating :???: I think that if I were to lie down and meditate, I'd probably fall asleep :lol:

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1407960715|3731711 said:
I think that if I were to lie down and meditate, I'd probably fall asleep :lol:

Ditto that.

Have been a regular practice for over 30 years. Trained in Shambhala. Mostly sit on the ground with a cushion, am mindful of breath. Good mind training.

I'm a fan.

Ira Z.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its good to hear from you all re your meditation experience. Thank you for the specifics and impressions.

I wish I'd learned about meditation sooner. I will just be happy that I am learning now!

Russell Simmons assigns a mantra in his book. I tried his and then one more comfortable for me came along.

I try to get close to the deep consciousness that was described as being similar to the deepest part of the ocean. The topmost layer of the ocean takes the brunt of weather and superficial events. The deeper you go, the calmer you are, the me focused yet relaxed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi azstonie, my dh meditates (almost) every day. He does it sitting in his comfortable chair in his "man" room. He feels that meditating helps increase his concentration and reduce overall stress. He is not a stressed out individual anyway but it especially helps him when things get difficult.

Thank you for starting this thread because I have been (for a long time lol) meaning to try meditation. I always dismissed it as something I wouldn't be able to do because I have difficulty just sitting still (even now believe it or not) and doing one thing but now is the perfect time so thanks for reminding me. I'm glad it is working out well for you and you are enjoying it.

Begonia, I'm glad that CC meditation is helping you and I hope your new job becomes less stressful and that all your health issues resolve fully.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Missy - get over here and give me another hug...

You too old for me to adopt you?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It takes patience and many attempts. When I first started, I either fell asleep or couldn't do it beyond 5 minutes at a stretch.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1407991861|3732063 said:
Missy - get over here and give me another hug...

You too old for me to adopt you?

Haha, well age is just a number but if I am too old maybe I can adopt you? :bigsmile:
Big (((hugs))) Begonia and there's plenty of those hugs for you whenever you want them!!!

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock
Begonia, I'm really interested in the CC meditation, can you provide more information?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1407949712|3731583 said:
MC|1407947998|3731559 said:

Good to hear the lotus position is not a deal breaker for you either. I think anyone who has/had an injury could have some trouble with the ol' lotus position. Thank you for responding with your experience. I've only been trying this a couple of days but I'm a lot calmer and I'm more even, which I really appreciate.

Glad you're finding it beneficial! There is a website http://www.brainsync.com/ where I purchased one of my first meditation CD http://www.brainsync.com/audio-store/stress-management/total-relaxation.html

Then I went on and experimented with others from that site...it's turned out to be a bit of hit or miss with the rest.

I have read that it's good to meditate at the same time every day so your body gets into the habit and it's easier to achieve the state you're looking for, so if you're able to do this, might be worth scheduling.

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
Yes I do. Keeps me sane!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet your Bengal Baby meditates right along with you!!!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I used to all the time, at least once daily before going to sleep and sometimes when waking up or if I could not go back to sleep. I feel it greatly helped. I learnt it in my teens and my mom still does it all the time. I am not sure why I stopped, I think my life would be a lot better if I still did it as it used to be when I did. I just think that I cannot calm down and concentrate enough to do it but that I should get back to doing it daily. I still do it occasionally but should be getting back to regularly. You do not have to do it in a yoga position, there are other ways when your body and mind can relax, typically at bed time or if you have a massage during the day and such. Great inspiration thread Kristie.

BTW, yes Begonia some info would be great. My problems is exactly that I cannot get myself to relax enough due to severe anxiety problems that started as post trauma disorder. Then my mom told me to meditate as it would greatly help but in that state of mind I find it impossible. Perhaps it would be a good idea to go and learn it again or a different kind, I do think among other people it is better and easier to get in that state of mind. It would be a start.

MC I tried the demo on the site you linked and I was sitting at the computer but in two seconds I was in alpha, the you mentioned sounds like a good one to try, I think it is easier to do it with sounds and then I may not need to even join a group at first.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results