shape
carat
color
clarity

PP Tahitian pearls on sale!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
mintea|1407987608|3732018 said:
Well, I got my strand and I'm undecided as to whether or not it is a keeper. The shapes, sizes, and length is perfect. The color, however, goes muddy and drab in many indoor lighting conditions. I'm not sure if I could do better... I might keep an eye on the sale for a strand with a more emerald body color and overtones that are more blue/green. I'm still not sure my complexion makes the peacock/aubergine really sing. The pearls are growing on me day by day - I was very disappointed when I first opened the box. But my few other Tahitian purchases have been love at first sight, so I'm a bit lost now! I think I'm spoiled for all other Tahitians after getting a hand-selected pair of ultra-rainbow drop earrings from PoJ...

Anyway, here are the stock photo, glamour shot, and some of my "real life" amateur photos of my PP sale necklace:

01_ppstock.jpg
01_ppglam_0.jpg
1111_0.jpg
img_1255_zpscf00b7e1.jpg
pearlneck.png
42b98dc2-7171-412b-979e-e2b658ff8392_zps803e7d0f.png

mintea- I think the strand looks very elegant on you and the luster is fabulous!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1408036711|3732391 said:
My peacock strand arrived today...but it's a lesson that even natural light shots might look different than IRL arrivals. I love them...they match a pair of peacock earrings that I own from before perfectly...but they do NOT look like even the natural light shots. IRL they look grey-green with just a few flashes of peacock (turquoise and pink/purple) that is very subtle except on one
stunning pearl towards the back. Here's my montage (might need 2 posts as I crashed the first one):

wow- that looks so different on you than the picture. The glamour photos are so difficult for me to read, and as you said it still looks much different than the regular light photos. Still beautiful, just different.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1408036602|3732388 said:
Few shots of the strands I bought. It's darker IRL than glam shots but that's expected. What's unusual is that it looks much better in full sunlight than shade. Usually it's the opposite. So now I'm torn because the luster and surfaces are outstanding but I rarely spend time in full sunlight so I wouldn't be able to see all of the colors.

My camera doesn't work well in direct sun but IRL, the full sunlight photos have the best color while the shade muddies them.

baby monster- your strand is gorgeous!!!! The neck shot doesn't really show all the soft pastel colors in the photo(even though it's still pretty!) - is that how it looks IRL? Oh, and I think the shade photos are really beautiful!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
baby monster - The full sunlight shot shows the body colors of the pearls nicely. All of the pearls are steel grey but one, and that golden Tahitian is amazing. You can see how strong the golden color is in the other shots by virtue of the golden body color. Very strong pastel overtones also show up in the full sunlight shot around the edges of the pearls, and they look beautiful in your neck shot.

Gorgeous strand, and I hope you love it. The drop shapes are amazing. :cheeky: :appl:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1408046865|3732526 said:
cmd2014|1408036711|3732391 said:
My peacock strand arrived today...but it's a lesson that even natural light shots might look different than IRL arrivals. I love them...they match a pair of peacock earrings that I own from before perfectly...but they do NOT look like even the natural light shots. IRL they look grey-green with just a few flashes of peacock (turquoise and pink/purple) that is very subtle except on one
stunning pearl towards the back....

wow- that looks so different on you than the picture. The glamour photos are so difficult for me to read, and as you said it still looks much different than the regular light photos. Still beautiful, just different.

I have to admit when it arrived, my first thought was "oh no...they sent me the wrong strand!" But the pearls match up in shape and blemishes to the picture, and the tag which was included matches my product number. It's strange because they look so purple in the PP natural light picture (which is why I bought them) and they look grey-green IRL (no purple that I can see in any light, really). I'm regretting the teeniest bit not getting the blue strand. Oh well, like I said, they are very nice even if they are not quite what I imagined, and they do match one of my favourite pairs of earrings (peacock Tahitian drop studs with a bezel set diamond). I imagine that I will end up wearing them a fair bit.

katkashmir

Rough_Rock
Few shots of the strands I bought. It's darker IRL than glam shots but that's expected. What's unusual is that it looks much better in full sunlight than shade. Usually it's the opposite. So now I'm torn because the luster and surfaces are outstanding but I rarely spend time in full sunlight so I wouldn't be able to see all of the colors.

My camera doesn't work well in direct sun but IRL, the full sunlight photos have the best color while the shade muddies them.

You got the strand I had wanted. Personally, I think they are beautiful on you :love:

I think you should keep them, but if you decide to return them, let me know!

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock
After reading all these comments about lightbox photos vs natural light, I had gotten pretty worried about my strands! I wanted a dark body color, but they looked dark even in the glamour shots. Well, I had nothing to worry about. They arrived and the colors are amazing. The body color is definitely black or very dark green, but the shine and overtones make them appear lighter. The luster is outstanding. Now I just have to choose which one I'm keeping. This is a gift for my mother.

Here is "Strand A". I find the barrel shapes of this one more pleasing than the drops. The pearls look bigger without the pointed ends. One of the pearls near the middle has this little "wart" (last picture) which I find kind of annoying. There is more overall blemishing on both strands than I was expecting.

4152.jpg
img_5844.jpg
img_5850.jpg
img_5851.jpg
img_5863.jpg
img_5856.jpg

Here is "Strand B". This one is really pretty too, but there are some blemishes I don't think I can live with. I have pictures of them here, but there are a few others. The most egregious is that one of the pearls right next to the center pearl has this non-nacreous chalky yellow knob one on end. Another pearl further up the strand has a similar one. I was pretty surprised by this on a strand labeled as "little to no visible blemishing".

4154.jpg
img_5843.jpg
img_5846.jpg
img_5847.jpg
img_5848.jpg
img_5866.jpg img_5857.jpg
img_5858.jpg
img_5859.jpg

Here are some pics of them both together:
img_5852.jpg
"Strand A" on the RIGHT
img_5853.jpg
"Strand A" on the inside
img_5855.jpg
"Strand A" on the inside

Thoughts????????

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I have been wondering about you doubledouble, it is encouraging to hear the colors are what you expected. I would prefer the first strand if the blemishes were less. Both look great! What an act of love for your mother.

I am learning how to read these colors in the glam shots vs. reality I too am a little worried as you stated you were, regarding the visual expectation when receiving ones pearls. This thread is a great education on viewing the glam shot, vs. indoor and natural light provided by the owners pictures. Thanks to all of you!

Doubledouble, I'm not sure what the creamy/white color is on the end of that particular pearl (why would that not be pulled) and it would bother me (I'm new to pearls not sure if that is expected). You seemed positive about the dark body color that is encouraging for me. I know color depends on ones skin with the pearls, but I have to ask the question what body color looks best on most women is it the dark body, dark greens in these tahitians. It's interesting that posts read that pearls are "dead" or go "gray…muddy" Maybe one of the experts can answer this…I am just amazed how misleading the photographs can be. I will ask for natural light photos in future.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double double, I like the colour of both, but am not sure I could overlook the blemishes in either. That wart would bug me on the first one, and the spots of missing nacre on the other would not be ok with me either. Is sending them both back an option?

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock
I can send them back... maybe PP would switch out the "wart" pearl at the front of the first necklace for me? There are other blemishes on the strand (one of the pearls has a white "ring" near the end?) but that is the main one.

I guess I just don't know what to expect. Both strands were AA+/AAA, but it seems they rotate each pearl so you can't see any blemishes in the glamour shot. The first strand (with the wart) was described as "very light blemishes" and the second (with a wart and 2 pearls with weird chalky ends) was "little to no visible blemishing". I don't know if that's how I would describe what I received.

I don't mind circles at all. I was hoping for relatively clean otherwise, but I don't know how much is normal. Is there any guideline to what blemishes are acceptable for AA, AA+, etc?

Maybe I will return both and upgrade to this one? http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4066-18-inch-aaa-78-111-mm-drop-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doubledouble, I've been admiring that strand all week-- I think it's a lovely choice. Shapes, colors, luster are all amazing.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I second that. I was also admiring that strand.

I say go for it!

mintea

Rough_Rock
Doubledouble, I would just ask about removing or swapping out the "wart" pearl if you love the shapes and the colors. But if the other blemishes bother you, spring for an "upgrade". The amount of blemishing is a bit surprising though - I also went with AA+/AAA and felt very satisfied with the surface quality.

I actually requested natural light pics of one of the upgrades you're considering (4066) right after I first received my current strand and was fretting about its subtlety in the harsh artificial light of my room.
4066_a.jpg
4066_b.jpg
Edit: To clarify, the above pics are this strand (http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4066-18-inch-aaa-78-111-mm-drop-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx) and were taken by a service rep at PP.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
doubledouble|1408068434|3732716 said:
I can send them back... maybe PP would switch out the "wart" pearl at the front of the first necklace for me? There are other blemishes on the strand (one of the pearls has a white "ring" near the end?) but that is the main one.

I guess I just don't know what to expect. Both strands were AA+/AAA, but it seems they rotate each pearl so you can't see any blemishes in the glamour shot. The first strand (with the wart) was described as "very light blemishes" and the second (with a wart and 2 pearls with weird chalky ends) was "little to no visible blemishing". I don't know if that's how I would describe what I received.

I don't mind circles at all. I was hoping for relatively clean otherwise, but I don't know how much is normal. Is there any guideline to what blemishes are acceptable for AA, AA+, etc?

Maybe I will return both and upgrade to this one? http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-4066-18-inch-aaa-78-111-mm-drop-tahitian-pearl-necklace.aspx

If you go here http://www.pearlparadise.com/t-Tahitian-pearl-grading.aspx PP gives their rating system.

I would not have expected those flaws in a AA+/AAA strand either. If you love one of the strands you could ask about having the unhappy pearls swapped out, but those other two strands that you are looking at are pretty too. The one that mintea posted looks quite a bit like my strand. But I also liked the colours of the two that you picked.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wow not sure how I missed all of this !!

I'm glad all the problems were worked out !

Looks like everyone ended up with gorgeous strands !
Doubledouble - the strands are beautiful .. such beautiful colours and a spectacular present for your mom ! :love:
cmd - love the necklace, lovely shapes and colours ! love the window shots !
baby monster..beautiful colours ! And I find your comment interesting that it looks better in full sunlight than shade..as you pointed out..that is almost never the case. Every one of my strands looks better in the shade or diffused lighting than they do in direct sunlight. How interesting !

Well done everyone ! :appl:

makeable

Shiny_Rock
doubledouble I have a similar issue. Two pearls on my strand are noticeably pitted and it bothers me. In PP's photos those pearls have the imperfections facing downwards towards the table. I'm going to ask them to swap the two out.

I'm happy to see everyone's drop dead gorgeous strands. Well done! :appl:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I think all of these strands are beautiful, especially the colors and luster.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Kay|1407991345|3732059 said:
Fly Girl|1407981417|3731952 said:
cmd2014|1407980634|3731940 said:
Flygirl that's the one!!! If you ever find it missing, you'd have to frisk me first!!! I have been coveting it ever since you posted it!

LOL! :bigsmile:

And, here is the photo I took of Kay's beauty from the ruckus. Pictures truly do not do this strand justice. It is breathtakingly beautiful in person.

Just to be complete, and I'm all for adding eye candy to a thread. :naughty:

You are very sweet. I just wish I had had the strand on straight, lol. I totally drool over your Kamoka strand and those gorgeous clasps.

Kay, I was interested in the pearl sizes in your strands, and color range. Are they all Tahitians yes?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1408047255|3732530 said:
[quote/]baby monster- your strand is gorgeous!!!! The neck shot doesn't really show all the soft pastel colors in the photo(even though it's still pretty!) - is that how it looks IRL? Oh, and I think the shade photos are really beautiful!
thanks pinkjewel. Yes, the neck shot is really what I see wearing the strand indoors. The soft pastels don't come through.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1408047642|3732534 said:
baby monster - The full sunlight shot shows the body colors of the pearls nicely. All of the pearls are steel grey but one, and that golden Tahitian is amazing. You can see how strong the golden color is in the other shots by virtue of the golden body color. Very strong pastel overtones also show up in the full sunlight shot around the edges of the pearls, and they look beautiful in your neck shot.

Gorgeous strand, and I hope you love it. The drop shapes are amazing. :cheeky: :appl:
thanks for your comments, Fly Girl. I'm still deciding whether this is the strand for me.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katkashmir|1408055490|3732587 said:

You got the strand I had wanted. Personally, I think they are beautiful on you :love:

I think you should keep them, but if you decide to return them, let me know!
Will let you know :Up_to_something:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
doubledouble, that first strand really pops in your neck shot. I'd keep that one and swap out the pearl that's bothering you.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1408113024|3732956 said:
[quote/]baby monster- your strand is gorgeous!!!! The neck shot doesn't really show all the soft pastel colors in the photo(even though it's still pretty!) - is that how it looks IRL? Oh, and I think the shade photos are really beautiful!
thanks pinkjewel. Yes, the neck shot is really what I see wearing the strand indoors. The soft pastels don't come through.

baby monster, I am assuming you are Asian and it looks like you have olive skin tone on the fair side. From personal experience, light Tahitian colors do pick up the warmth of the wearer's skin when worn. For example, I have a strand which looks very silvery, almost dead on white background.When it's worn, the light green overtone gets picked up and it looks much better on my neck than on white background. I think your strand is silver body with very soft multi pastel overtones. The light gold and pistachio family of colors are picked up from your skin. Just MHO.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My strand looked better once I got home (better light). Here's a better picture:

It's definitely hard to get a 'true' sense of Tahitians as they look different in every light. Even here my picture looks darker than it is and you can't see some of the overtones that I can see in the same picture off my ipad. Weird.

_21377.jpg

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
doubledouble - I would have them replace a few of the pearls on the 1st strand and go with that one. Since it's a gift for your mother I think it should be free of the faults you're seeing. I know she'll love it!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HHPmom|1408113673|3732975 said:
baby monster|1408113024|3732956 said:

baby monster, I am assuming you are Asian and it looks like you have olive skin tone on the fair side. From personal experience, light Tahitian colors do pick up the warmth of the wearer's skin when worn. For example, I have a strand which looks very silvery, almost dead on white background.When it's worn, the light green overtone gets picked up and it looks much better on my neck than on white background. I think your strand is silver body with very soft multi pastel overtones. The light gold and pistachio family of colors are picked up from your skin. Just MHO.
Thanks for your comments, HHPmom. I do have olive undertones in my skin and they really show up in the summer when I'm tan. Guess these particular pearls are just not playing well with me. I do love that gold pearl. It makes me rethink that goldens aren't for me.

Actually, there was a photo some time ago of gorgeous pastel tahitians. Were they yours? I was hoping for this strand to look somewhat like those pearls.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doubledouble,

Since the colours and luster are so beautiful on the strands that you have, I'd also go the route of having the blemished pearls swapped out. The first strand is the one I like best too.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I finally got decent shots of my new Tahitian rope (please excuse the golf shirt in the next pictures, you can't be too picky when the pearls decide to cooperate!). They're near round, green with intense peacock but not always!

_21386.jpg

_21387.jpg

_21388.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results