shape
carat
color
clarity

Car advice needed!!!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Soooo, I'm ready to shop for a SUV for our up coming baby~
I have narrowed it down to Mazda CX5 Touring, Subaru Forest and Honda CRV ( I have not test drive the cars yet, going to do that starting tomorrow)
The review of the service department of Mazda dealership is pretty scary but it does offer the best deal by my employer.
Any inputs of those cars will be great help. Thank you!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Are there other Mazda dealerships within a convenient distance? If so there's no reason you have to patronize their service department after the purchase.

I don't have personal experience with any of the cars but I will say that I have loved my Mazda. When I made the purchase two years ago I felt they offered a lot of bang for the buck compared to my other options.

Motherofperle

Rough_Rock
I had the CR-V for about three years (it was a lease) and literally, the only two complaints I had are the following:

1) The center console area (the place between the two fron seats- not sure if I am calling this the right thing, but I hope you get what I mean) felt a little flimsy. Like, I felt as though if I leaned too hard on it getting in/ out of the car I might have broken it, and I am not a large person. It didn't break, FTR, it just felt a tad flimsy.
2) I felt as thought the trunk door, when open, would drip rain on me if it was raining and I was standing underneath it while unloading things from the trunk (groceries/ baby stroller etc.)

Not sure if I am describing these issues properly so you know what I mean, but hopefully you get the gist. GL!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1407506111|3728510 said:
Are there other Mazda dealerships within a convenient distance? If so there's no reason you have to patronize their service department after the purchase.

I don't have personal experience with any of the cars but I will say that I have loved my Mazda. When I made the purchase two years ago I felt they offered a lot of bang for the buck compared to my other options.

This one is about 10min away, there is another one which is about 30min w/o traffic with better reviews. I'm just hoping if I do get the car it's not going to have much problem that needs service

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Motherofperle|1407506135|3728512 said:
I had the CR-V for about three years (it was a lease) and literally, the only two complaints I had are the following:

1) The center console area (the place between the two fron seats- not sure if I am calling this the right thing, but I hope you get what I mean) felt a little flimsy. Like, I felt as though if I leaned too hard on it getting in/ out of the car I might have broken it, and I am not a large person. It didn't break, FTR, it just flet a tad flimsy.
2) I felt as thought the trunk door, when open, would drip rain on me if it was raining and I was standing underneath it while unloading things from the trunk (groceries/ baby stroller etc.)

Not sure if I am describing these issues properly so you know what I mean, but hopefully you get the gist. GL!

Thank you! I will pay some attention to that when I go for test drive! =)

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Do you live in a place that snows?

I ask because:

I drive a Subaru. Best AWD system in the business. You can feel the difference when you drive. And the Forester has won many awards in its category for years. But AWD + Bigger body = more gas.

Mazda's for years have had rust problems in their models. So if you live in a area that snows, you might want to be more diligent about rust proofing. Especially if you live in an area that snows and you don't plan on driving it into the ground. That being said, the SkyActiv system is really good and very good on gas. So you will save there over the other two.

Honda's are Honda's. Can't really go wrong. But I don't like the way the current CRV looks.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I have a 2014 mazda cx-5 grand touring AWD. I have every option except front sensors (was never told it was an option! I do have the rear sensors). My choices were between Subaru crosstrek, mini countryman, and ford escape. The Subaru had a cvt transmission had NOOOOOO pickup (after going home and reading reviews it was a major complaint). I did not look at the forester or any of the other models, so I'm not sure if they have the same transmission. I mean we almost got hit going out of the dealership. That was the end of that test drive. Loved the mini, but cost for options was steep. It came down between the escape and the cx5 so I found a dealership who sold both...lol.

I chose the cx5 bc it was more "simple inside" and I liked the looks better than escape. It has better mpg than escape. It wasn't a race car but has great pickup and it drives nice. It has great reviews online and the cost was lower fully loaded than the escape - but the cx-5 DOES have a higher 5 year cost of ownership over the escape. I loved the safety features too (blind spot, smart city braking system...which still scares the crap out of me if my car stops automatically when I'm trying to get into my parking garage). I actually test drove a touring edition bc I wanted cloth seats, but by the time I added the options I wanted (sunroof etc) it was almost the same price as GT so I went with the loaded model. I have only had the car 4 months so I can't vouch for the AWD portion, but it was also one of the main reasons I bought it since I live in the northeast and deal with snow a lot.

Overall, I love my car, much better than my super low to the ground civic coupe!

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask :wavey:

ETA: I have been averaging 25mpg combined city/highway

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't have experience with any of those 3, but just wanted to say that we absolutely love our new Jeep Grand Cherokee. We've had it for about 2 years now and it's been a fabulous SUV (we get lots of compliments on it too). Best of luck in your search:)

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love my Subaru Forester and have had two of them. Very reliable, practical cars. Great brakes and AWD.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Subaru's are huge around here. My mother drove two consecutive Outbacks. Lots of friends with Outbacks and Foresters.

I'd choose something closer to car-like and less rugged, honestly. I have a Jeep GC and it's not the easiest thing in the world to get an infant carseat in and out of, nor a toddler into the carseat and out. I'm tall and it's still a pretty good reach into the backseat for me, plus a 30 pound kid. Be sure to take your comfort, strength, and reach into consideration since this will be a baby-mobile for you.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I had a honda crv and loved it.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two of my friends have Subarus and love them!
THey also said they are very peppy - which makes them safer when you have to merge on the highway.
Do you ever look on the Edmund's site?
They give you the fair market value for the car you are shopping for so you don't overpay...also reviews from experts and from owners. Very informative.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys for the advice. I live in Austin so no snow :) I still would like to have AWD. Seems like all 3 r good options. I guess I will just test drive and see which I like the most + can get the best price!
So excited.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typing this on my cell phone while sitting in our 2013 CX5 touring...

Love it!

We average 28.3 mpg according to the car. Mostly city driving.

Hauled a new door in it last week. All sorts of stuff fits great!

I love blind spot monitoring and backup camera. Both are very nice to have.

In 36,000+ miles, I have not had the slightest issues. Taken it in for oil changes and 30,000 service but that is it.

We've taken it across the mountains and back a few times. Driven through high winds, lots of rain, sun, fog, etc and no complaints. I like that I can turn the display to a night setting so it is comfortable to drive in the dark.

The seat folding options and extra cup holders are nice too.

The hill recognizing thing is nice because the car doesn't roll at all if you stop on a hill.

Not so much as a dead headlight! No rusting. No fading. Car still looks new with a wash & vacuum.

We do have the early 2013 model. I'm told that the newer ones are even better...

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
I just bought a Forester last year after a pretty bad accident that totaled my car and my last two choices before I bought it was CRV and Forester. I chose the Forester because safety was my #1 priority and Subarus are known for their high safety ratings. I also loved the visibility compared to the CRV. I would suggest paying close attention to the blind spot visibility in both of the cars because if the CRV does not bother you, then that is a solid option for you. When I sat in the CRV though, I felt like I was closed in and could not see much around me whereas the Forester felt open and bright.

Congratulations on the baby btw! :wavey:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
test drove the Mazda CX5 touring today and the car looks nice. Not the smoothest ride, and I think it's a little loud. But the price & financing is great. Gonnna go look at forester on Monday, I know Subaru will not give me nearly as good discount or finance... gonna be little hard to make decision if I like it more than CX5 :(sad

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minmin001|1407635276|3729467 said:
test drove the Mazda CX5 touring today and the car looks nice. Not the smoothest ride, and I think it's a little loud. But the price & financing is great. Gonnna go look at forester on Monday, I know Subaru will not give me nearly as good discount or finance... gonna be little hard to make decision if I like it more than CX5 :(sad

I've been told that different tires can make it quieter. We put on different tires but went with a snow & ice tire (yes, even for summer driving -- DH did the research and liked these) that actually makes it a bit noisier than the stock tires. Other owners have said different tires can make it quieter.
That said, I don't really notice the noise much anymore. Even without music it is still not something that bothers me. If you end up buying the CX5, you should drive it for a bit and see how you feel later.

I did find that our car wasn't very nice to drive for the first month or so. It felt jerky and clunky and like there was just something off about it. I called the dealership and talked with the guys in the service department. The computer "learns" your driving so in the first bit it is constantly adjusting and tweaking so you get the nicest ride and performance. Once it settles down, it is MUCH nicer!
You just need to drive as "normal" as possible while it is adjusting. It can feel pretty weird, but it helps the computer sort itself out quicker.

Hope that helps! Good luck finding a car you love for a price you love :))

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
TooPatient said:
It felt jerky and clunky and like there was just something off about it. I called the dealership and talked with the guys in the service department. The computer "learns" your driving so in the first bit it is constantly adjusting and tweaking so you get the nicest ride and performance. Once it settles down, it is MUCH nicer!
You just need to drive as "normal" as possible while it is adjusting. It can feel pretty weird, but it helps the computer sort itself out quicker.

I agree with this!!!! I felt like something was severely wrong when I started driving haha. I was jumping around fast to a complete stop jerking around! After a few days it got "used" to my driving and all was well.

As for the road noise, I can't say I have ever heard "any". Coming from my civic coupe which was the LOUDEST car I have ever been in-this one sounded like a dream. My car is quieter than my SO's brand new Infiniti Q50 on the highway! I also have the Grand Touring so my wheels are bigger than the touring and we have just the stock all weather tires on it for now.

Good luck with the rest of your test drives! I hope you find something perfect for :)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1407673771|3729641 said:
TooPatient said:
It felt jerky and clunky and like there was just something off about it. I called the dealership and talked with the guys in the service department. The computer "learns" your driving so in the first bit it is constantly adjusting and tweaking so you get the nicest ride and performance. Once it settles down, it is MUCH nicer!

I agree with this!!!! I felt like something was severely wrong when I started driving haha. I was jumping around fast to a complete stop jerking around! After a few days it got "used" to my driving and all was well.

As for the road noise, I can't say I have ever heard "any". Coming from my civic coupe which was the LOUDEST car I have ever been in-this one sounded like a dream. My car is quieter than my SO's brand new Infiniti Q50 on the highway! I also have the Grand Touring so my wheels are bigger than the touring and we have just the stock all weather tires on it for now.

Good luck with the rest of your test drives! I hope you find something perfect for :)

It would almost seem like a good idea for them to have a car (maybe one each of sport, touring, grand touring) that the sales people drove until the computer settled in to use for test drives so that people can get a better idea of what the car actually drives like..... plus letting them know that the first few days will feel rough because of the computer so they know what to expect!

Ours is actually so quiet that I've forgotten it was running (at something like an ATM) and turned the car off :lol:

The other quirk I've noticed is that it won't let you shift out of park until your foot is on the brake, it won't let you turn the car on unless you've got it in park, etc. Sort of weird at first but great safety features when you think about it!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
So, I test drove the Subaru forester today and it's time to decide.
Both car will cost me about the same with only few hundred difference.

Mazda CX5 I like the style, kind uneasy with the keyless startup (I'm old school), I don't think I sit up as high as Forester. The screen for camera etc is bigger and nicer than forester. Mazda will do 0% 60mo financing

Forester appears to be bigger than CX5 even though they should be around the same size(which makes me feel a little nervous to drive since I'm not use to drive big car and I am not good at parking car). I like how open and roomy it feels(the sunroof is really nice), windows are very big but the side mirrors are small (anybody have problem with the side mirrors?) Subaru probably will have around 1.9% financing

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minmin001|1407810094|3730616 said:

Mazda CX5 I like the style, kind uneasy with the keyless startup (I'm old school), I don't think I sit up as high as Forester. The screen for camera etc is bigger and nicer than forester. Mazda will do 0% 60mo financing

Forester appears to be bigger than CX5 even though they should be around the same size(which makes me feel a little nervous to drive since I'm not use to drive big car and I am not good at parking car). I like how open and roomy it feels(the sunroof is really nice), windows are very big but the side mirrors are small (anybody have problem with the side mirrors?) Subaru probably will have around 1.9% financing

I'm not familiar with mirrors on the Forester, but the CX5 has no problem with mirrors. I thought they looked a bit small, but they really do show everything.

Did you try adjusting the seat? The CX5 has a really adjustable seat including letting you move it up and down (plus tilt forward/back, move forward/back, etc).

The keyless thing was a big thing for me. I was REALLY uncomfortable with it at first and was almost willing to insist on looking for something without. I talked with them about it at length and decided it was okay. If the battery dies, I have a key to open the door (it pops out of the button key thing) and if you hold it next to the button the car will still start. You also can't put the car in gear without the key being present so even if someone got the doors open, they couldn't just start the car and drive off.

I HATE parking. The CX5 is the best I've found this way. I take it in cramped parking garages and all over without issue. The backup camera REALLY helps with getting in/out!

The touring came with sunroof in the 2013 model. Does it still for 2014? If not, you might be able to request one if you like it.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1407811787|3730635 said:
minmin001|1407810094|3730616 said:

I'm not familiar with mirrors on the Forester, but the CX5 has no problem with mirrors. I thought they looked a bit small, but they really do show everything.

Did you try adjusting the seat? The CX5 has a really adjustable seat including letting you move it up and down (plus tilt forward/back, move forward/back, etc).

The keyless thing was a big thing for me. I was REALLY uncomfortable with it at first and was almost willing to insist on looking for something without. I talked with them about it at length and decided it was okay. If the battery dies, I have a key to open the door (it pops out of the button key thing) and if you hold it next to the button the car will still start. You also can't put the car in gear without the key being present so even if someone got the doors open, they couldn't just start the car and drive off.

I HATE parking. The CX5 is the best I've found this way. I take it in cramped parking garages and all over without issue. The backup camera REALLY helps with getting in/out!

The touring came with sunroof in the 2013 model. Does it still for 2014? If not, you might be able to request one if you like it.

I don't remember seeing it, Its the 2015 model. I think it's optional not standard like forester

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
You can add backup sensors to the cx5 for about 425. Best money I've ever spent. Lol

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
minmin001|1407504709|3728495 said:
I have narrowed it down to Mazda CX5 Touring, Subaru Forest and Honda CRV ( I have not test drive the cars yet, going to do that starting tomorrow)
The review of the service department of Mazda dealership is pretty scary but it does offer the best deal by my employer.

I had a Forester and traded it in for a Mazda (but CX9 instead of the 5)... The Forester was awesome in the snow and I've yet to drive my Mazda in snow so I cannot compare them yet, but the reason I needed the CX9 is space, so even if the CX9 isn't great in snow, I didn't have a choice. The Forester had become too small for two teenage boys.

I've only worked with the service department once and that was because the driver door lock had a broken part in it...it was expensive to fix...with tax it was $368! ;(

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
TooPatient|1407811787|3730635 said:

i have a 2014, originally was going for the touring since i wanted cloth (i HATE LEATHER!!!!) but i wanted a sunroof. It was not standard on the 2014 touring, not sure if it is on 2015. I ended up with the Grand Touring bc after adding nav and sunroof it was almost the same price and i would have had much much more features.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1407947350|3731553 said:
minmin001|1407504709|3728495 said:

I had a Forester and traded it in for a Mazda (but CX9 instead of the 5)... The Forester was awesome in the snow and I've yet to drive my Mazda in snow so I cannot compare them yet, but the reason I needed the CX9 is space, so even if the CX9 isn't great in snow, I didn't have a choice. The Forester had become too small for two teenage boys.

I've only worked with the service department once and that was because the driver door lock had a broken part in it...it was expensive to fix...with tax it was $368! ;(

Our CX7 was great in the snow. Had no trouble with icy/snowy hills in Bellevue, Redmond, Sammamish, Kirkland. We did have snow/ice tires though.

Why was your repair that much? Didn't they cover it for you?

Every repair we had on the CX7 was covered in full plus loaner.
Did you buy through the big dealer in the area? The one next to the freeway...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I JUST bought a 2013 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. CRV was one of the cars I test drove and I HATED it. The blind spot was horrible and it vibrated. All the SUVs in this size have some blind spot issues but the blind spot sensors really sold me on the Mazda. The inside was much nicer as well (finishes, options). I have only had it for two weeks but I love it. Consumer Reports also raved about the CX-5. I am averaging 28-29 MPG as well.

ETA: Test driving is SO important. I drove 5 and it was obvious to me which car I felt the most comfortable with.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring|1407958083|3731674 said:
I JUST bought a 2013 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. CRV was one of the cars I test drove and I HATED it. The blind spot was horrible and it vibrated. All the SUVs in this size have some blind spot issues but the blind spot sensors really sold me on the Mazda. The inside was much nicer as well (finishes, options). I have only had it for two weeks but I love it. Consumer Reports also raved about the CX-5. I am averaging 28-29 MPG as well.

ETA: Test driving is SO important. I drove 5 and it was obvious to me which car I felt the most comfortable with.

Hi Tacori! When you test drove the CRV, did you notice the pick up (or lack thereof, I think)? My mom has a CRV and I've driven it a few times. It's nice but the blind spot was pretty bad (and the back window was like looking through a porthole). The thing that drove me crazy more than that, though, was the really SLOW pick up it had on the highway. Drove me nuts. I'm glad you like the CX-5. Maybe I'll add it to my list when I look at cars in the next year or so.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori E-ring said:

Wish I was averaging that high on my 14 cx5 GT!!! I drive mainly city. I have been hovering closer to 25 as of late!!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
So I was going to get the CX5 AWD but sadly being in Austin there isn't many of those so both of my color options are no go. After read about the way CX5's AWD system works it seems like it wouldn't really work much here.
My So and I go to NM's ranch least once a year, and with the baby coming I need make a safe decision.
CX5 FWD or Forester...help !!! ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results