shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Evaluating Sapphire Price

sapphire123

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I need help determining whether a particular sapphire I'm looking at is a fair price. First the specs:

- cushion cut
- light blue dominant with some grey and purple depending on the light
- eye clean from the top
- roughly 10x7x5.5
- just shy of 4 ct
- allegedly from Ceylon
- allegedly unheated
- cut quality: the stone has a huge asymmetric window, the outline from the top is crooked, the girdle is likely too uneven in thickness to set the stone safely, and the pavilion is very crooked and asymmetrical.
- price: $3k US
- See the attached pic

My intent is to recut it with a rectangular radiant cut. I've been talking to a precision cutter, and we think it has enough depth to do the cut with no window. However, multiple cutters have told me that $3k is way too much to pay for a preform stone with poor cut. Also, the blue in this sapphire is not very saturated, which I know should also decrease it's value.

On the other hand, I've had a couple jewelers source finished sapphires with this cut for much higher prices. One was $3600 with a large window (and not enough depth to fix it), one was $4200 and looked decent, and another was $5900 with a cut that didn't window but had some uneven facets. They all had somewhat deeper/more saturated color than the one I'm considering recutting, and were 2-2.7 ct in weight and around 8x6 - 9x7 in face up dimension.

So the question is, is $3k a fair price? The cutters tell me no, but from my searching as a consumer, I haven't come across anything with a better price. As a consumer, I don't necessarily expect to have access to the same prices that members of the trade do, but I don't want to get taken for a ride either. What do you guys think?

img_5342.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Color is king.
color can change drastically in a recut. It is not always predictable or for the better.
A better, closer photo would help a little but it doesnt look like such a great color to start with.
Even if all the alleged qualites were confirmed by a lab, $3200 is high, imo.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Are there any other photos that you can post to give us a more close-up look + different angles? This particular color sapphire - based on the current image - is not one that is highly valued by trade, so price should not be too high.

sapphire123

Rough_Rock
Sure, here's a link to an imgur album.

http://imgur.com/a/QZv0l

I'm sorry the pictures aren't higher resolution--they were taken with my cell phone. I'll try to get access to a DSLR to take better ones.

@swissmiss, how do you evaluate whether a sapphire's color should be highly values or not? Is it just proximity to the ideal kashmir velvety blue? In general, I am looking for a lighter sapphire that has some brilliance and is not inky.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Kashmir Blue? Sorry to say, but not close. This stone has obvious gray modifier on the blue. Ideally, you should get a stone that pleases your eyes, some prefer darker, some prefer lighter. VL said it, Color is king, but what is prized color should not deter you from having your personal preference. Check our vendor list for more options, I am using this link to show you different colors and treatment will affect the price offered by vendor
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html
Assuming you do the recut, you should be ready to slim down to about 3-3.5 ct(just ballpark figure, I am not a cutter so just be conservative).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. What is the lapidary's estimate on the final mm size as opposed to the current 10 x 7 x 5.5 mm size?
2. What is the lapidary's estimate on the final cut weight as opposed to the current 3.xx ct weight? There are price jumps at the 1 ct, 2 ct, 3 ct and 4 ct marks.
3. What is the lapidary's estimate on the final colour as opposed to the current colour?

Is this the colour that you like/want? The most expensive colour of blue sapphire is medium dark tone, slightly violetish blue with intense to vivid saturation. Are you looking for something light in tone, light in saturation or both?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
If you recut it you will get maybe 2 ct - this color is not a 1500 pct quality in my opinion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results