shape
carat
color
clarity

St. Louis, MO Vacation - advise me!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are so excited for our trip to St. Louis, MO in a few weeks!

Any must see, must eat, must hike, tour, etc.? I read somewhere online that there was/is a Cartier exhibit in an Art Museum? Gasp! :lickout:

We are staying downtown St Louis, and a friend will be shuttling us in the evenings after she gets off work. She's located in Lawrence. Yay for vacay! :appl: :clap:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump - anybody been to or live around St. Louis with some sightseeing advice?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Where's ame? She's my StL partner in crime!

I grew up about an hour from the Lou, so not exactly a resident but familiar with the area.

Clearly, I'd say to catch a Cardinals game, if you like baseball. Busch Stadium is beautiful and Cardinals fans are good folk. The view with the Arch and fireworks is great.

The Arch is always fun to go up. I think they've upgraded the little elevator carts things you take up, which is good. They used to be a bit...nerve-wracking.

Forest Park or the zoo (entry is free) are a good way to spend a nice day outdoors.

The Science Center is lots of fun, even for grown ups.

The Botanical Gardens are often raved about.

The Basilica Cathedral is stunning.

The Magic House is fun (also, even for grown ups!)

And the Fox Theatre. See a show one night. ANY show. I've been to theatres around the world and NONE compare to the Fox. It is utterly, devastatingly beautiful. Sigh.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
great art here: http://www.slam.org/Collections/modern.php
this was actually interesting and fun: http://explorestlouis.com/visit-exp...en&utm_medium=Bing+CPC&utm_campaign=Breweries
there is a history museum underground where the arch was built which is very informative about the movement west through st Louis.
the arch is interesting if you're not afraid of heights.....and you can see the baseball stadium from the top.

go out on a riverboat?
cross the river see this: http://www.cahokiamounds.org/

it has been a long time since I was in St Louis.....and I was surprised by the heat and humidity....and it was September.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you justginger, moviezombie!!!

I had a few of these things on my to-do list, but you have given me a ton more options!!! My "local guide" pal has not done a lot of touristy things in St. Louis, so she is excited to explore with us as well.

Now the logistics of fitting everything in ;-) These are the types of problems I like - planning out fun time!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the Clydesdale breeding farm is outside at another location but the St Louis brewery location sometimes have some of them in the stalls there. it was really a step back in time.......wood escalators!!!!!!!!!!

have fun!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uh, Lawrence, Kansas? or Lawrence, MO? Neither is anywhere near St. Louis.

Anyway...yes I live here! If you know how to reach me away from this board, and you would like to meet up for a meal, let me know! Just a piece of helpful advice for navigating: On the Missouri Side, Hwy 64 is called 40. People will tell you to take 40 somewhere, that's what they mean, 64/40. Forty. So if they say that, that's what they mean. Also, the way this city is set up, for a rudimentary map, make a fist with your right hand, then cup it with your left: on your left hand your fist is Downtown and the City, your fingers to your knuckles are North County, finger knuckles to your thumb knuckles is West County, thumb knuckle down is South County and Jefferson County, your wrist and arm are Franklin County and St. Charles County and your right wrist is essentially Illinois. Majority of the "money" is in West County, and is built up accordingly. South County is also fairly built up, as well. But the central corridor is "west" and therefore the majority of the "stuff" is along that route.

Definitely a Cardinal Game.

In Forest Park, just west of downtown, you'll find the Zoo, the Science Center, the History Museum and the Art Museum. All are world renowned and worth spending some time at. The Muny outdoor theater is also there, which also has freeseats if you get there early. Very good shows. If you can only do one or two, I'd say to do our FANTASTIC Zoo, and it's free, except for the train and the Children's Zoo, both are worth paying for.
http://www.stlzoo.org/
http://www.slsc.org/
http://mohistory.org/

The art museum is also free, save for exhibits.
http://www.slam.org/

I believe that the Cartier exhibit is actually at the SLU Art Museum
http://sluma.slu.edu/slumacollections.html

Downtown is the City Museum which is cool and fun
http://www.citymuseum.org/site/

We also have the Chess Museum which is pretty cool, in the Central West End, which is right by the East End of Forest Park, and has some really great dining around there. Local Pizza joint "PI" is there. Speaking of Pizza, see below.
http://www.worldchesshof.org/

Also worth visiting are the Magic House, in Kirkwood (from downtown take 44Westbound to Lindbergh exit, go right off the exit ramp and it will be on your right about like a half mile to a mile up. It's HUGE and you cannot miss the building):
https://www.magichouse.org/

and the transportation museum, also in "west county", also taking 44 west from downtown, to 270 North, exit at Dougherty Ferry, go left onto Dougherty Ferry, left on Barrett Station. It will be on your right a little ways down the road. There are signs.
http://transportmuseumassociation.org/

MoBotanical gardens as mentioned are also really awesome:
44 West to Vandeventer, go left at offramp, then left onto Shaw (its right there, and is a light).

Another zoo-like place is Grant's Farm, though check to make sure it's not closed to the public the day you want to go, and see about tickets/reservations. The place is free, the parking is not. That is in South County at Gravois and Grant Rd. (Trust my directiosn here, it's a shitload easier to turn right) From Downtown, Take 44 West, exit at Elm, follow til you hit Laclede Station (across Watson it becomes Rock Hill). Turn Right on Laclede Station. Turn Right on Gravois. Turn Right on Grant. Then park in the lot. Afterwards, if you decide you want BBQ, the Bandanas I mention below will be a Left from the parking lot on to Grant, a RIGHT on to Gravois, and then you'll go through the Lindbergh light, come to Geyer light, turn left, turn around in the lot there, and turn right back onto Gravois, then Right into the Bandanas lot. To get back to downtown, go Right out of there, go LEFT onto Lindbergh, follow to 44, right on 44 Eastbound. That will take you back in. I think exiting at Jefferson and going left is easier to get to Market than dealing with the hot mess that is Memorial, etc. But that's me.

If you chose to go to Magic House from Bandanas you'd just stay on Lindbergh vs the 44 onramp and it would be just a mile or so from the intersection. I might have lost you.

Shopping:
The "best malls" are the Galleria, Plaza Frontenac and West County Center, in my opinion. They are all right along the central corridor. From downtown you would take 64/40 West to get to almost all of them. The Galleria is at the Brentwood exit (exit Hanley/Brentwood, straight at the first light, right at the 2nd, and it's right there). Frontenac is at Lindbergh and 64 (exit 64 at Lindbergh, go left, and it's at the Lindbergh and Clayton Intersection--this has our Tiffanys). West County you'd take 64 West from Downtown to Ballas and go left on Ballas. Follow to Manchester and it's on that corner. (Theres another way there that's highway but it's HELL to get across Manchester from that Hwy offramp so I am taking you down a side street to save your sanity.) Both the Galleria and West County have Nordstrom. Frontenac has Saks and Neimans. If you go further out 64/40 well past 270 and 141, there are two nicer outlet malls. One WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, if you exit at Long Road and go over the highway, going right on Airport Rd (?) is the Premium Outlets, and that has a TON of great Outlets. The other one, Taubman Prestige is the exit before that, Boone's Crossing, and go right, to N. Outer 40.

FOOD:
I personally think Pappy's BBQ is f'ing disgusting and do NOT get the hype. Every time I've gone there it's been bland and burned and just foul. They also don't let you reserve seats at all, even if you have someone elderly or handicapped in your party and will literally yell at you and your elderly and handicapped person to get up. We walked out last time we went because of that. So if you want STL BBQ, I suggest you go to Bandana's, it's a local chain. There's a lot of locations. There's one nearish the Magic House and Museum of Transportation, at Gravois and 270 area (kinda between the highway and Lindbergh-- you have to turn right in and out of this lot, but there's LOTS of locations).

Pizza:
There are some major local chains here. The one that's most revered by locals is Imo's. It's cracker crust with Provel cheese. You either love or hate it. I personally love it. Get it with bacon. It's the shit. There's another local chain called Cecil Whittakers, that's pretty much identical and a hell of a lot cheaper. Again, BACON.

Other favorites are Fortel's (which you won't find downtown, that's going to be all around the county.) and PI. There's a PI Downtown at the MX and there's one in the CWE both are reasonable distance for where you're staying. PI doesn't use provel. I like Pi, but I don't go there often.

Another good chain that has nice pizza and is known for their wings is Sybergs. Get their original wings if you go, they're the bomb. I also like their chicken strips and dip in wing sauce. There's one on Market St downtown between 20th and Jefferson.

Two great places around Olive/Locust and 10th ish area are Rooster and Range. Rooster is breakfast and Range is burgers. They are owned by the same dude, and the guy knows his ish with food. I die for Roosters crepes, and I live for Range's burgers and shakes. (I don't do a very good job at Paleo, can you tell?)

If you feel like Mexican, during the day/early evening, go to Cherokee st. From downtown, go to Jefferson from Market, and go South (so if you're coming from like the arch, go away from the arch down Market, then Left on Jefferson. Follow that a good ways (you'll pass 40, 44, and Gravois.) Turn right on Cherokee. My favorites are La Vallesana, Tower Taco (A good ways down Cherokee) and Bronco.

If you want fried chicken, Hodaks is THE place to go. That's ON Gravois, near 55. Best way to get there from downtown, is to go down Tucker which turns into Gravois. Itll be on the left just past 55. It's wicked cheap too. Half chicken meal is like $7 or $8. I like their chicken tenders too. Blues City Deli is a block down McNair if that appeals but they have weird hours. If you go to Hodaks on a weekday, the best time to get there (not on a game day) is like 7pm on a weeknight or like at 2 on a weekday. Or 11am near opening. Otherwise it's MADNESS.

If you are at all interested in Sweetie Pie's Soul Food, there are two locations. The original is on Manchester at Tower Grove, and the other is near SLU on Delmar at Grand. I've only been to the original location. It's so good--I LOVE their baked chicken and their stuffing is the bomb. They're closed on Monday and they close early, like by 8 or if they run out earlier.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame! Wow! thank you for the input! My friend lives in Lawrence, MO - I believe she said she's 1/2 hour away from St. Louis?? We saw on the map a preserve near her - have you checked it out - is it worth it?

I had to chuckle when you listed the malls - malls are like the mother ship to Pinto Bean! :lol:

Thank you for differentiating between the art museums - I would have wandered into SLAM and been like :confused: :confused: where's the Cartier???

Also, thank you for the invitation to meet up! I don't think I will have the time to this visit, especially with DH in tow. But now that I've learned how reasonably priced flights are from NY to to STL, I anticipate coming again sooner than later and would love to meet up on a subsequent trip. Haha - we should meet up at a Nordstrom since your jean recommendations in the anniversary thread last year worked out so well for me! m ;-)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds delish, snicklefritz!!!!! Thank you!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1407781251|3730300 said:
Ame! Wow! thank you for the input! My friend lives in Lawrence, MO - I believe she said she's 1/2 hour away from St. Louis?? We saw on the map a preserve near her - have you checked it out - is it worth it?

I had to chuckle when you listed the malls - malls are like the mother ship to Pinto Bean! :lol:

Thank you for differentiating between the art museums - I would have wandered into SLAM and been like :confused: :confused: where's the Cartier???

Also, thank you for the invitation to meet up! I don't think I will have the time to this visit, especially with DH in tow. But now that I've learned how reasonably priced flights are from NY to to STL, I anticipate coming again sooner than later and would love to meet up on a subsequent trip. Haha - we should meet up at a Nordstrom since your jean recommendations in the anniversary thread last year worked out so well for me! m ;-)

Lawrence Missouri is like 4 hours away from STL if I recall correctly, ironically about the same as Lawrence KS just in SW MO vs NW MO area, unless there are two Lawrence, Missouris. The Lawrence MO I know of is just past Springfield, MO near Joplin since we pass it on the way to DFW. So I might need a clarification on where she actually lives. There's a SEMO preserve in Cape, though that's about 90-ish minutes south of STL.
http://news.semo.edu/southeast-ecological-preserve-dedicated-in-scott-county/

I would love to meet up if not this time, next time. Jeans shopping and other shopping. :naughty: Those are the malls I usually go to, just because they have the stuff I tend to buy. Most stuff in this city is about 20 minutes from anywhere though.

SLU Art Museum I think is right by SLU Campus, not actually on it, which is Grand/40 area.

Snicklefritz|1407783826|3730333 said:
Did no one mention Ted Drewes??
http://www.teddrewes.com/home/default.aspx

Most people love it, but whether or not you do, it's definitely become a STL landmark.

Yea I neglected to mention that, and I can't believe it, since i owe at least two fat rolls to that place. Though I suggest you go earlier in the day on a weekday because otherwise it's a MADHOUSE. They have two locations but the main one is on Chippewa. From downtown, take 44 W to Arsenal exit. At Jamieson go Left (pretty much right off that exit). Take to Chippewa and go Left. You'll see it immediately, as well as the millions of screaming fans ;-) ) There is also a Mr. Wizards (similar but not quite the same landmark status) in Affton now that isn't far from Downtown either that I can direct you to. It's got way better parking and less lines than the original Mr. Wizards in Richmond Heights. I will not clarify why I know that because then I am selling my paleo failings out.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame!!! I have scrambled eggs for brains! My friend visits Lawrence all the time Thats how I got that in my head and she lives somewher near Creve coeur (hope I and/or autocorrect didn't butcher that!)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1407804757|3730539 said:
Ame!!! I have scrambled eggs for brains! My friend visits Lawrence all the time Thats how I got that in my head and she lives somewher near Creve coeur (hope I and/or autocorrect didn't butcher that!)

Lol, you'll be much better situated in that area!

Ame - just thinking of Bandanas has my mouth watering...

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ylang Ylang (Colonial Marketplace, 8845 Ladue Road) has gorgeous Single Stone, Beaudry and other designer jewelry.

Timekeepers (17 N Meramec Ave in Clayton ) usually has an interesting selection of antique diamonds/jewelry.

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
Some great suggestions here. I don't have any to add, but I do love Forest Park and the zoo is amazing! Also, all of the houses in that area are so neat. Around Lafayette Square especially. http://lafayettesquare.org/

ame mall suggestions are right on. I love the Galleria and the Premium outlets that are way out there.

Definitely try to catch a baseball game. Seriously, baseball heaven.

Ted Drews is really good. There are also a ton of smaller custard places around. My favorite is Fritz's. They have a few locations. http://www.fritzsfrozencustard.com/Location.html

Did anyone mention food on the Hill? Amazing Italian food.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1407804757|3730539 said:
OK That makes a lot more sense. Near much more stuff. I was just up there over the weekend to go to Genovese and Clarkson Jewelers with my FSIL to look at bands.

kathley|1407844099|3730777 said:
Ylang Ylang (Colonial Marketplace, 8845 Ladue Road) has gorgeous Single Stone, Beaudry and other designer jewelry.

Timekeepers (17 N Meramec Ave in Clayton ) usually has an interesting selection of antique diamonds/jewelry.

I have been to that Timekeepers and it's a playground. Being in Creve Coeur you might be able to hit the Olive location of Timekeepers, too, if you go up to her house.

Ylang is pretty nice. I haven't been to their new location since they moved out of Plaza Frontenac, but I've been to that new strip they're in like 100 times since it's with Paper Source and I order a lot from their commercial lines. There's an Original Pancake House in there too, get an Apple Pancake and you will thank me later. (lol or not) Not far from there--actually the next exit north of there off 170 on Delmar is Jilly's cupcake bar. GO THERE. Enjoy the sugar rush. Bee Sting is my favorite. They just opened an ice cream shop next to it but I haven't hit that one up yet.

OneFifty|1407853529|3730848 said:
Some great suggestions here. I don't have any to add, but I do love Forest Park and the zoo is amazing! Also, all of the houses in that area are so neat. Around Lafayette Square especially. http://lafayettesquare.org/

ame mall suggestions are right on. I love the Galleria and the Premium outlets that are way out there.

Definitely try to catch a baseball game. Seriously, baseball heaven.

Ted Drews is really good. There are also a ton of smaller custard places around. My favorite is Fritz's. They have a few locations. http://www.fritzsfrozencustard.com/Location.html

Did anyone mention food on the Hill? Amazing Italian food.
I like Zia's and Favazzas but I generally go off-hill bec of parking. I like Pietro's on Watson in the City, conveniently right near Drewes...and Rich and Charlie's on Watson in Crestwood (convenient to Magic House). Watson is a weird road btw--it is Watson from 270 in to the city line. Then it becomes Chippewa. Then there's a Y in the road and it splits to be Watson to the left and Chippewa keeps going straight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results