shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone here good with color? (makeup, hair color, etc.)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like I need a little "something" in my haircolor to warm up/liven up my face.

Even though my hair colorist is excellent - meaning she "gets" whatever color I want to do and she does the color great - but I haven't found anyone yet who is a true "artist" - meaning that they are excellent at picking and mixing tones that warm up my face rather than dull it, etc.

Every colorist seems to always suggest the same tones for me - caramel or honey or coppery highlights - with a shade or two darker than my own (my hair is very dark blonde/light brown) as lowlights.

The thing is I never really love the end result. I like it. It's better than my mousy brown. But it's never great.

Like right now it feels like the overall tone of my hair is exactly like the color of my eyes - brownish/green - (no there's no green in my hair! but when I look at my hair and my eyes there's no contrast, no "pop", no warming of the face (I have pale white skin with pink/reddish undertones - not easy!). ETA: if I had to describe the color I'd say "walnut-y"

Now - I'm in my 40s - so gone are the days when I'd be willing to do a permanent eggplant or cherry red all over - but I need something. Or maybe I'm asking too much of my hair and I just want to look better! I don't know.

But I was thinking maybe actually going to a wig shop and trying out different colors...

And obviously I could try a different hair dresser (I'm on my third in a few years and she's by far the best...so I don't have high hopes...but maybe that's what's needed...again...)

In the meantime, if any of you are good with color/skin tone/hair color - do you have any suggestions? *Should* hair have some contrast to the eyes? Could I do cherry red highlights, maybe, or is baliage not right for that type of color over a light brown?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a hairdresser, and I don't know a ton about hair color...(ok, disclaimer over.)

It's tough without seeing pics and it would also be tough to judge WITH pics online.

You're talking about brightening up your look. Sounds like you feel like you just need a CHANGE.

I'd find a salon or a person who specializes in color. It seems like you are looking for something dramatic around your face. I'd also go to a professional makeup artist and have your colors/makeup done again, keeping in mind your end goal of making your eyes pop.

A good friend of mine in her early 50's has blonde/bright red/auburn/something darker done once every 8 weeks. She always looks amazing. The lightest and brightest shades are closest to her face and crown. No coppery dark tones. No understated caramels. But she's in the fashion industry and it really works for her. You have to consider also your daily life and how your hair will fit in with your everyday look.

Do you love your cut? Obviously that's another factor to take into consideration. Maybe you need both a fresh style as well as fresh color?

P.S. This thread is worthless without pics. (There used to be an emoticon demonstrating just that here!) Pics would be helpful...

Hope my ramblings were helpful or at the very least, thought-provoking. :wavey:

ETA: of course you could do cherry highlights. Of course you could do bayalage. You could hop on the ombre train. But typically ombre and bayalage fall closer to the chin than the eyes... this sounds like you want something warmer and brighter by your eyes/temples. Girl, you gotta get to a good colorist. Toute de suite.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's an app for that! http://www.taaz.com/mobile

or http://www.beglamorous.com/change-hair-color-online.htm

Seriously though, I've found that there are many stylists who can cut and/or color your hair the way you ask them to. My last stylist did that - she'd ask me what I wanted and always told me "I can do whatever you ask" - and she did. It drove me crazy! What I wanted was for her to make suggestions as to what would make me look my best! But she had the techniques but not the "eye." I think it's the very rare stylist who can "see" and suggest what would look best on you. When my current stylist picked hair colors for me, she did a phenomenal job. I found her by asking a (former) co-worker whose hair always looked enviably terrific who did her hair.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch - You are so right about what's "realistic" for every day. I remember when I was younger even the eggplant and cherry red hair looked awesome with makeup but not as awesome without it since my skin is clear but not too great on the skin tone on its own.

However - I am at the point where I am willing to suffer a little bit every day if when I go out and put makeup on my face "pops" and is warmed up. Now that I'm older, yeah...I feel like I need to pull out the big guns instead of playing it safe. Don't get me wrong - as long as it does look good - there are some older women I see with bright bright red hair that I think it's too harsh.

But someone really good I feel could do something for me. I know it. So you're right...I need to find this person!

(And how I wish I was one of those cool and edgy people who can carry crazy hair colors into their 50s and beyond. I love people like that!)

(Oh! and I remember that smiley!)

Maybe - just maybe - if I get up the courage I'll figure out how to post a picture showing just enough so you guys could see the skin tone, hair color and eyes.

(your "ramblings" are always welcome! ::) thank you!)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VR I'll definitely check out both those links...thanks.

And yes, that's how I feel about mine...she'll do whatever I say...but what the heck do I know? I mean, I know what I hate, but that's about it...

You're 100% right they have the technique but not the eye (I feel this way about many makeup artists too). I think it would also take someone who really CARES not just about what the hair will look like but what will make the whole person look better. I mean I'm the one that often has to ask to see that book they have with the hair pieces...I mean wouldn't it make sense to make sure when I see cherry red it's the same red you're thinking of?

Anyway - great idea about asking someone whose hair color always looks good. I know just the person (I don't like her much but I can text her and hopefully she'll just give me the info and just move on :D ) Thanks!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, who's your celebrity lookalike? I'd do a search for her on Pinterest and Google Images with "bayalage" in the terms and pin some things to show your hairdresser.

I'm glad to TRY to help! We've bonded here on PS a few times. :dance:

I love the idea of brighter colors on women over 40, but you know, sometimes those brighter colors need to be down around the neck like low-lights? Added interest, but not necessarily pulling attention to anything in particular.

What kind of clothes do you like to wear? That's another factor I'd bring to a hairdresser/colorist's attention. Simple? Embellished? Do you like to wear earrings that are subtle or attention-grabbing?

Do you have bangs? Another thing!

What's your general style? Do you like soft, sweeping clothing or do you prefer more form-fitting, tailored clothing? Do you just like to wear cute jeans and tees? Are you casual or dressy?

Sorry (well, not really!) I just like helping people and you sounded like you needed some guidance. I spent a lot of years in retail dressing people for various occasions and I really loved doing so.

Your fair complexion probably necessitates certain colors. Once again, a good colorist could tell you better than I. I'm thinking you could totally do bright reds and eggplants again, if lowlights were done in the correct hues. Is that what you want?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1407735834|3730062 said:
CJ, who's your celebrity lookalike? I'd do a search for her on Pinterest and Google Images with "bayalage" in the terms and pin some things to show your hairdresser.

>>>>>I wish I could say Kim Kardashian (yes, I think she's beautiful!) but unfortunately, it's Jodie Foster. :rolleyes: One time someone also told me the girl from Burn Notice. And I do kind of see it...although she has way better lips.

I'm glad to TRY to help! We've bonded here on PS a few times. :dance:

>>>>>Yes - when I saw your post and then VR Beautys I thought "2 of my favorite (as my DH would say "internet friends") :D but I really did think that when I saw your posts one after the other)

I love the idea of brighter colors on women over 40, but you know, sometimes those brighter colors need to be down around the neck like low-lights? Added interest, but not necessarily pulling attention to anything in particular.

>>>>>hahahah yes like wrinkles or puffy eyes. Good point though - and that would allow me to go bolder than I might right by my face (what's funny is that even with highlights I always ask for them one chunk away from my face so I get the effect but it's never harsh)

What kind of clothes do you like to wear? That's another factor I'd bring to a hairdresser/colorist's attention. Simple? Embellished? Do you like to wear earrings that are subtle or attention-grabbing?

>>>>>I like simple but with an "edge". Meaning like say, jeans and a simple tank but a killer belt...or colorful shoes...or jeans and a tank that has "something" to it...a little lace...something...or black pants with a white top with a little ruffle around the neck...or something really simple but with really colorful earrings...I wear pants 95% of the time...mostly jeans...sometimes colorful pants..(I don't have good legs so those are out)

ETA: as far as earrings, depends on the outfit. But many times I will use earrings as my pop of color for my face and outfit. I tend to hate the way necklaces look on me - it is so difficult to find a silver or gold tone that looks good against my skin...and even the shape...I have an ample chest - meaning there's a lot of area there (not that I have big breasts, unfortunately) so many times necklaces just look "wrong" and I just won't wear them.

Do you have bangs? Another thing!

>>>No - ewwww just thinking about it for what I look like right now feels so wrong! haha

What's your general style? Do you like soft, sweeping clothing or do you prefer more form-fitting, tailored clothing? Do you just like to wear cute jeans and tees? Are you casual or dressy?

>>>>form fitting and tailored...I like looking sharp not "soft" I'm not that feminine but more trendy/edgy within what I can handle...I have a decent waist and stomach and upper body (well except for the flabby upper arms) so I try to wear tops that accentuate that against my more full hips...

>>>>more casual than dressy...but pulled together. I don't always achieve it - at all - I don't shop often enough - but when I try I do.

Sorry (well, not really!) I just like helping people and you sounded like you needed some guidance. I spent a lot of years in retail dressing people for various occasions and I really loved doing so.

>>>>>>I'm so excited, thank you!

Your fair complexion probably necessitates certain colors. Once again, a good colorist could tell you better than I. I'm thinking you could totally do bright reds and eggplants again, if lowlights were done in the correct hues. Is that what you want?

>>>>I've had cherry red on my mind for a while...eggplant I had not considered because it sounded scary...but who knows...like you said, in the right hue, it could work. I am so excited just thinking I could look a little more edgy...but to answer your question, I want whatever's going to add a pop of color and make me look better. If it's a blond piece, fine...if the colorist picks the right color - and by that I mean that it looks really good on me then no color is off limits.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, you don't leave a lot to my imagination! LOL.

I see this:

A woman in her 40s who wants to appear pulled-together, put-together, bright, light, and covered but still appearing feminine.

A woman who wants to be seen as chic, somewhat mysterious, somewhat playful, but at the same time wants to be taken seriously.

A woman whose real wish is that others find her attractive and lovely, charming, and sometimes dazzling, when she wants them to.

If I'm way off base feel free to call b.s. :wavey:

You'd like your hair and makeup to call attention to the features you consider your "great points." Your eyes, your smile. What you've been unhappy with as far as hair and makeup is that you feel your hair has been too drab and your makeup is making you appear pale and tired.
You'd like for someone to "brighten" your hair, eyes, and smile. Right?

So. I can't do that for you. But you now have some words you can take to a salon and ask if there is a makeup artist, hairdresser, and colorist on hand to make these words fit into your look.

I think you're casual, but dressy. You appreciate and want to accentuate your body type and coloring. You like to accessorize with bolder pieces but don't need to get crazy.

Sometimes it's the language we need to help us communicate to people in the industry so they can help. I hope maybe I've provided some of the language/lingo you need.

And sometimes we just need to ask for help (like you did) and then we have a launching point.

You're a great person, I can tell that from your posts. It's been fun listening to you and learning more about you! I really think you're just at the point of needing a little nudge in the direction of helping yourself, and you'll be great. You can totally do this. I think when we women reach certain ages, we begin to doubt ourselves and our worth. You've reached out, and that's taken a lot of strength. I'm glad I was online tonight and saw your post. I think you'll have no problem going after whatever will make you happy, including appearance. Take care!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi CJ, I don't know if I'm going to be much help but Monnie sure is. I feel your pain as I have been going try the same thing for the past year. :wall: I actually went to a wig shop and tried on different colors just because I was so frustrated. It actually helped.... ALOT. It also helped that the women working made comments about how the darker colors really made my eyes pop. I'm also pale and for some reason once I was in my forties, I starter to go lighter. Turns out I looked better in darker tones. I think the key is finding a colorist who also has a great eye for what looks best. Not easy to find. If you do find one please let me know!

I think maybe all we need is an appointment with Monnie!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do agree that seeing you would be infinitely more helpful. Perhaps a coppery red?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Color is hard and after things change up *ahem* at a certain age...all bets are off. I feel your pain. I am a very pale pinkish skin toned brunette. As a baby had almost coal black hair. Anyhow, at almost at 50 my color has been off for a few years. I listened to the professionals that kept adding highlights to my 10% gray hair. I looked washed out all the time. The colors were just *off*

Everything I found said at a certain age we get paler. Older coloring can't support dark hair and it would look witchy and to go lighter. Well, a couple of months ago I tried a deep chocolate brown and my face, complexion and eyes woke back up. Look much younger as a darker color! I do it myself, too.

Anyhow, I bet you don't have the right color and when you do find it you will have an aha moment. Maybe reds or an auburn or even the right shade of light brown? Good luck!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1407739875|3730075 said:
CJ, you don't leave a lot to my imagination! LOL.

>>>>oh I'm the details Queen. You ask me a question I will give you a FULL answer! :lol:

I see this:

A woman in her 40s who wants to appear pulled-together, put-together, bright, light, and covered but still appearing feminine.

A woman who wants to be seen as chic, somewhat mysterious, somewhat playful, but at the same time wants to be taken seriously.

A woman whose real wish is that others find her attractive and lovely, charming, and sometimes dazzling, when she wants them to.

>>>>>Pretty close! Amazing. I'd edit it like this:

>>>>Overall...a woman in her 40s who wants to appear pulled-together, put-together, bright, stylish, trendy, cool, yet, yes, feminine. And yes, friendly and warm, but with an air of mystery, who always wants to be taken seriously. Her real wish that yes, people find her attractive for her age...and stylish...and yes, sometimes so stylish and bright that she's...dazzling.

If I'm way off base feel free to call b.s. :wavey:

You'd like your hair and makeup to call attention to the features you consider your "great points." Your eyes, your smile. What you've been unhappy with as far as hair and makeup is that you feel your hair has been too drab and your makeup is making you appear pale and tired.
You'd like for someone to "brighten" your hair, eyes, and smile. Right?

>>>>>Yes, hair is drab. Makeup is actually ok though -- I've learned how to do with my makeup and I do it pretty ok, using just the right amount of pink on my lips to liven up my face. Although yes, sometimes I wonder how I can add a pop of color to my eyeshadow...but when I do I actually never end up liking it (I always pick purples because again, it's what EVERY makeup artists says I should do..but no...I don't like it)...the coolest thing I do is adding a luminous whitish/pinkish tone on the inside edge of my eyes. Looks pretty yet subtle.

So. I can't do that for you. But you now have some words you can take to a salon and ask if there is a makeup artist, hairdresser, and colorist on hand to make these words fit into your look.

I think you're casual, but dressy. You appreciate and want to accentuate your body type and coloring. You like to accessorize with bolder pieces but don't need to get crazy.

>>>>>Yes, bold...but not crazy...and a little edgy...I'm not afraid of a little lace or a little "rock and roll/edgy" touch done right.

Sometimes it's the language we need to help us communicate to people in the industry so they can help. I hope maybe I've provided some of the language/lingo you need.

>>>>>>Now I need to find the PERSON who will get all this! But you're right...having this image and having it put into words is what I'll need once I do.

And sometimes we just need to ask for help (like you did) and then we have a launching point.

You're a great person, I can tell that from your posts. It's been fun listening to you and learning more about you! I really think you're just at the point of needing a little nudge in the direction of helping yourself, and you'll be great. You can totally do this. I think when we women reach certain ages, we begin to doubt ourselves and our worth. You've reached out, and that's taken a lot of strength. I'm glad I was online tonight and saw your post. I think you'll have no problem going after whatever will make you happy, including appearance. Take care!

>>>>>>I am touched that you think I'm a great person. I don't often bond with others...very very once in a while...so it's really nice and I really appreciate it and value it when it happens.

>>>>>Now I need to start my search...and not give up...and make it happen.

>>>>>>Thank you! (sending you a virtual hug, none of the smileys "fit")

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1407772795|3730248 said:
Hi CJ, I don't know if I'm going to be much help but Monnie sure is. I feel your pain as I have been going try the same thing for the past year. :wall: I actually went to a wig shop and tried on different colors just because I was so frustrated. It actually helped.... ALOT. It also helped that the women working made comments about how the darker colors really made my eyes pop. I'm also pale and for some reason once I was in my forties, I starter to go lighter. Turns out I looked better in darker tones. I think the key is finding a colorist who also has a great eye for what looks best. Not easy to find. If you do find one please let me know!

I think maybe all we need is an appointment with Monnie!

Hi Callie :wavey:

Yes, I really think I'm going to hit a wig salon (I actually think salons should carry wigs! It would be so helpful and would avoid so many misunderstandings).

Right...I think older women are encouraged to go lighter...and sometimes the RIGHT light color can be right...for some people...but like Monarch said, it's all about the tone/hue...the WRONG dark or light will wash you out, but the right one won't...and it makes kind of logical sense that contrast is a good thing as long as it's not too muh.

I will definitely let you know what I find once I start searching!

And yes, we all need some time with Monarch! For styling, and more! ::)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1407779299|3730289 said:
I do agree that seeing you would be infinitely more helpful. Perhaps a coppery red?

I might work up the courage, when I have time...

Coppery red is what is always recommended and always done...it's not bad...sometimes better than others depending on how coppery etc (when it's too coppery I absolutely hate it and brings out the RED in my skin :knockout:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
moneymeister|1407781591|3730305 said:
Color is hard and after things change up *ahem* at a certain age...all bets are off. I feel your pain. I am a very pale pinkish skin toned brunette. As a baby had almost coal black hair. Anyhow, at almost at 50 my color has been off for a few years. I listened to the professionals that kept adding highlights to my 10% gray hair. I looked washed out all the time. The colors were just *off*

Everything I found said at a certain age we get paler. Older coloring can't support dark hair and it would look witchy and to go lighter. Well, a couple of months ago I tried a deep chocolate brown and my face, complexion and eyes woke back up. Look much younger as a darker color! I do it myself, too.

Anyhow, I bet you don't have the right color and when you do find it you will have an aha moment. Maybe reds or an auburn or even the right shade of light brown? Good luck!

Tell me about it with all the changes :confused:

I'm so glad you finally found a color that works for you, that you didn't give up, and that you listened to yourself that the colors suggested by the professionals were actually not right?

(see this is why I'm a control freak...)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure the shade you highlight with matches your skintone. I have a warm skintone so ash blonde is totally off on me while golden blonde is gorgeous. The same with reds. There are cool reds and warm reds. Get the one for you. Maybe a makeup update would help too? At 55 my makeup is much less intense and natural than at 30.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1407784161|3730335 said:
ame|1407779299|3730289 said:

I might work up the courage, when I have time...

Coppery red is what is always recommended and always done...it's not bad...sometimes better than others depending on how coppery etc (when it's too coppery I absolutely hate it and brings out the RED in my skin :knockout:
If it's done right, and is the right shade of copper, it won't.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I currently have magenta on top with dark purple across the back. Quite short haircut, often described as sassy. It is freaking awesome and I get compliments all.the.time. People of all ages, types, etc. love the color of my hair. Saturday evening after church an older man, a bit portly with very gray hair stopped me on his way by and said he loved my hair. :) Too fun. Most women comment that they wish they had the guts or they wish they could pull it off. I tell them it is just hair and can always be changed so no guts needed and that I have no idea if I can pull it off but I love it. I just turned 39 and I have absolutely no intention of changing my style anytime soon. In fact, on my birthday I was telling someone that although I may have no choice about growing older, I steadfastly refuse to grow up! Life is too short to have boring hair. Thankfully, my only occupations are wife, mother and Zumba Instructor. :) My husband, sons and my class all think my hair rocks! [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Every time I go back to something more natural, I am disappointed and bored. My magenta hair makes me happy. Plus, no matter what I do or don't do to it, it looks cute. Live it up!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1407807161|3730577 said:
I currently have magenta on top with dark purple across the back. Quite short haircut, often described as sassy. It is freaking awesome and I get compliments all.the.time. People of all ages, types, etc. love the color of my hair. Saturday evening after church an older man, a bit portly with very gray hair stopped me on his way by and said he loved my hair. :) Too fun. Most women comment that they wish they had the guts or they wish they could pull it off. I tell them it is just hair and can always be changed so no guts needed and that I have no idea if I can pull it off but I love it. I just turned 39 and I have absolutely no intention of changing my style anytime soon. In fact, on my birthday I was telling someone that although I may have no choice about growing older, I steadfastly refuse to grow up! Life is too short to have boring hair. Thankfully, my only occupations are wife, mother and Zumba Instructor. :) My husband, sons and my class all think my hair rocks! [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Every time I go back to something more natural, I am disappointed and bored. My magenta hair makes me happy. Plus, no matter what I do or don't do to it, it looks cute. Live it up!

I WANT TO SEEEEEEE!

I went red a couple months ago and loved it. Even JD loved it. And cut it even shorter so it was like pixie in the back and a bit longer in the front. Red won't stay in my hair tho, sadly. I love doing fun stuff w/my hair.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1407795850|3730461 said:
Make sure the shade you highlight with matches your skintone. I have a warm skintone so ash blonde is totally off on me while golden blonde is gorgeous. The same with reds. There are cool reds and warm reds. Get the one for you. Maybe a makeup update would help too? At 55 my makeup is much less intense and natural than at 30.

Right...I think one of my problems is that I am not convinced anyone can freaking tell me what my skin tone is accurately.

What I ended up trying - after figuring out I was not happy with either warm OR cool tone foundations, is find a neutral foundation (from Estee Lauder). That seems to work best on me.

I keep my makeup pretty neutral (the Naked palette from Urban Decay for eyes) with the touch of color mostly on the lips and cheeks.

Although again with makeup, even though I'm satisfied with it, if I found someone really good at color who had access to EVERY makeup available (so not only what they sell) that would be ideal because I am sure they could give me something that's even better than what I'm doing now.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This sounds amazing!

I am definitely not as brave (or cool) as you but I really love the idea of a dark purple or even the magenta...I remember for Halloween one year I put these extensions in my hair that were bright pink and they looked GOOD!

If you're willing to, would love to see a picture, even of just the back, if you're not comfortable showing your face.

If not, no worries.

It really does sound amazing though. So glad you're having fun and enjoying yourself and making the most out of your looks! :appl:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1407807619|3730587 said:

I WANT TO SEEEEEEE!

I went red a couple months ago and loved it. Even JD loved it. And cut it even shorter so it was like pixie in the back and a bit longer in the front. Red won't stay in my hair tho, sadly. I love doing fun stuff w/my hair.

Packrat I have the same problem...I remember when I was younger and went red all the time what I hated is how quickly it washed out...(and I always resisted buying those shampoos that are supposed to help with it staying longer)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1407857211|3730888 said:
AprilBaby|1407795850|3730461 said:

Right...I think one of my problems is that I am not convinced anyone can freaking tell me what my skin tone is accurately.

What I ended up trying - after figuring out I was not happy with either warm OR cool tone foundations, is find a neutral foundation (from Estee Lauder). That seems to work best on me.

I keep my makeup pretty neutral (the Naked palette from Urban Decay for eyes) with the touch of color mostly on the lips and cheeks.

Although again with makeup, even though I'm satisfied with it, if I found someone really good at color who had access to EVERY makeup available (so not only what they sell) that would be ideal because I am sure they could give me something that's even better than what I'm doing now.

Do you look good in orange or magenta? Off white or white? Browns or blues? Olive or Kelly green? Yellows or burgundy ? If any of the first, you are warm, the second, cool.

I wear earth tones and my BFF is exactly opposite and she looks awesome in jewel tones. Royal blue, purples, deep pinks look amazing on her. I stick to corals, greens and browns which look hideous on her.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby I know I'm DEFINITELY on the cooler side...

But not all whites look good on me...
Not all blues look good on me...
Some Kelly greens looks good, some hideous...
Some magentas, same thing...

Same with silver jewelry - most of it looks hideous on me. Same with gold. What looks best on me is very dark almost black looking silver - not pewter necessarily - I don't know what the word would be.

That's why I think I'm more of a cool/neutral...and that my skin tone is really tricky.

That's why I feel like I've never met the makeup artist or hair colorist that has the level of knowledge and eye for color that I would need. It would take someone really good and detailed who will not just "box me into" cool and try to understand why one magenta works and not the other...why one blue works, and not the other...same with makeup...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting coloring! I feel for you!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
:) My hair is very fine, straight and there just isn't much of it. If I had gorgeous hair, perhaps I could let it shine naturally. I don't, so I have to create interest with color. This photo is from the first time I did magenta. It is slightly different now but you can definitely get an idea of the color. The back is dark purple but it is pretty muted. You don't really notice the purple unless the light hits it just right.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1407936084.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1407863503|3730940 said:

Same with silver jewelry - most of it looks hideous on me. Same with gold. What looks best on me is very dark almost black looking silver - not pewter necessarily - I don't know what the word would be.

That's why I think I'm more of a cool/neutral...and that my skin tone is really tricky.

That's why I feel like I've never met the makeup artist or hair colorist that has the level of knowledge and eye for color that I would need. It would take someone really good and detailed who will not just "box me into" cool and try to understand why one magenta works and not the other...why one blue works, and not the other...same with makeup...

I've posted before that years ago, I had my colors done. The woman that did it wasn't a franchisee that did just the winter/spring/summer/fall thing, she developed her own approach that basically expanded on that. She identified me as a fall/winter for example. I wasn't coloring my hair at that time so didn't use her for that, but she did help with makeup and of course clothing. I poked around on the internet and it appears the whole color consulting industry has gotten to be quite a bit more sophisticated and has gone beyond just the four basic season groups. Anyhow, a session with a good color consultant might be an option if you can't find a hair color expert with that skill. It would be more expensive, of course... but if you find the right color consultant you'll end up looking fabulous and it could save you a lot of time and money and aggravation down the road. (The woman I went to is in the Sacramento CA area, if you're in Northern California)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies, love that color! It looks great. Thank you for posting it so I can see it. (ETA definitely reminds me of the couple of pieces/chunks I had put in hair for halloween...and I had liked it)

I must say, though, you have very nice skin tone, and a young looking, full face, and that is at least part of the reason you carry it so well.

I'm...older...and my face has lost some of its plumpness...so I couldn't do something as drastic...but even a little chunk of a magenta like that a chunk of hair or two away from my face - with the right base color - might look really nice and not be too much.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1407944293|3731516 said:
CJ2008|1407863503|3730940 said:

I've posted before that years ago, I had my colors done. The woman that did it wasn't a franchisee that did just the winter/spring/summer/fall thing, she developed her own approach that basically expanded on that. She identified me as a fall/winter for example. I wasn't coloring my hair at that time so didn't use her for that, but she did help with makeup and of course clothing. I poked around on the internet and it appears the whole caolor consulting industry has gotten to be quite a bit more sophisticated and has gone beyond just the four basic season groups. Anyhow, a session with a good color consultant might be an option if you can't find a hair color expert with that skill. It would be more expensive, of course... but if you find the right color consultant you'll end up looking fabulous and it could save you a lot of time and money and aggravation down the road. (The woman I went to is in the Sacramento CA area, if you're in Northern California)

I did take the first step yesterday...and asked that woman for her colorist's #. So I will start there.

But a colorist is a good idea...and would obviously go beyond just the hair...maybe I'm at the point where I need it. Even though it would cost some money, I think the reality is it seems the older I get the more I need to spend...just today I made an appointment for Botox because I saw a picture of myself, and...yeah...I look pissed off, with a permanent frown. Does not help. It makes me look older and unhappy even at my resting face.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
CJ2008 said:
purplesparklies, love that color! It looks great. Thank you for posting it so I can see it. (ETA definitely reminds me of the couple of pieces/chunks I had put in hair for halloween...and I had liked it)

I must say, though, you have very nice skin tone, and a young looking, full face, and that is at least part of the reason you carry it so well.

I'm...older...and my face has lost some of its plumpness...so I couldn't do something as drastic...but even a little chunk of a magenta like that a chunk of hair or two away from my face - with the right base color - might look really nice and not be too much.

:) Definitely try a chunk for a pop of something unique and fun. Frankly, I wish my face was a bit less full and I am working on it....again. I think it would look great with a bit slimmer, more angular face. Good luck finding something that makes you smile.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results