shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you make your wedding ring with your fiance?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I can't believe this hasn't caught on in North America yet!

The couple goes to a "handmade" jewelry shop and are interviewed about their relationship and style preferences. Guided by a professional. they file, engrave and finish the wax for their rings. Then the finished waxes are cast finished and polished by a professional. The couple receives their rings 1-2 months later along with a video of their experience.

Check it out:

http://translate.google.ca/translat...%9A%E6%8C%87%E8%BC%AA&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=760

The website is best viewed with the chrome browser, using automatic google translate.

_408.png

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
The pricing structure seems fairly reasonable:

http://www.hamri.jp/simulation/

For a set of 2 rings:
base price: $1480

Add-ons:
extra metal cost above the initial 6g is charged for according to the metal's price eg $220/g for platinum, less for gold etc.
birthstones (1pt) $10 each
diamonds (1pt)$20 each
princess diamonds (2pt?) $40 each
pink diamonds (1pt) $100 each
stone setting $15 per stone
hand or stamp engraving by you - free
laser engraving $100/ring
milgrain $70/ring
hammered finish $15/ring
matte finish $15/ring
honed channel $15/ring
antiquing $15/ring
mirror finish - free

So the rings end up costing about $1720 - $2870 for the set, depending on the customizations you choose.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
No, he would carve in special symbols like helicopter blades and light sabers or something. Yeah, I'd end up with the nicest propeller ring a guy could make. :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you Moneymeiser. If my husband had his way my wedding band would have Chicago sports team emblem engraved on it. Not my idea of beauty :angel: As Kenny likes to say "people vary".

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've done a similar kind of workshop with engaged couples, but fabricating instead of casting. We started by alloying (using new gold or family pieces) the metal to their choice of alloy, pouring an ingot, hammering and rolling it, shaping the ring, adding any custom details and finishing it. It is always fun but exhausting! It is interesting to see how each couple personalizes their rings. Many of them also came up with sneaky ways to add an unsuspected surprise to their partner's ring before the wedding.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We'd do it. He'd probably do something floral on mine.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, we'd do it.
in fact, about a month ago I went to the local artisan that made my Pompeii earrings to have a pearl ring made....hubby was there and decided he wanted the same but w/o the pearl.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really cool idea!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like fun. DH would probably try to put something inappropriate on it, but I'm sure ultimately I'd end up with something nice.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
No hubby would probably have the Oregon Ducks engraved on it or something crazy.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
moneymeister|1407697193|3729724 said:
No, he would carve in special symbols like helicopter blades and light sabers or something. Yeah, I'd end up with the nicest propeller ring a guy could make. :lol:

:lol: yes, I'd have some light saber looking thing

All joking aside, I do think DH has really good taste and is a details freak like me...so it could be nice...HOWEVER nobody knows what I like better than I do. So ultimately, no I wouldn't want to...the only way I'd do is if we both collaborated on it (I'm assuming this is like a surprise for the other person...so no way...I'm too much of a control freak)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We considered it but ultimately it wasn't what we wanted for our rings. DH wanted a heavily detailed ring as did I. Neither of us thought this was the type of thing where you could learn the art of folding damascus steel or carving filigree! It'd be great for a couple who wants quite simple rings

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1407769561|3730207 said:
... and then there was undercover999, who made his fiance's engagement ring by himself... at home... although he did of course ask PS for input (and get some on-line technical help from PS's wonderful pros) along the way!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/homemade-e-ring-2mm-ok-what-about-prongs.168304/

I loved this thread! Just read it chuckling over the OP's comments. "... I have a kiln now, I can melt anything, I feel like a God!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results