shape
carat
color
clarity

What color diamond center with blue sapphire side stones?

big_spark

Rough_Rock
I have a three stone ring with a 2 carat G-color round center stone (8mm) and two round blue sapphire sidestones (6mm). When I added the sapphire sidestones, it immediately made the center diamond look so much smaller - even though it is a bright stone. So, I am in the process of upgrading the center diamond to a larger size, 3-3+ carat center (9mm).

What color diamond would you go with for a larger center stone?

Would you consider a warmer color center to increase diameter? Or would that make the overall ring look dark?

(My ring size is 5.25).

Thanks in advance! (there is a small photo in my ring profile but I am too new to post photos in the forum)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What color diamond center with blue sapphire side stones

I think whiter stones look best with sapphires personally, so I'd probably not go lower than H or maybe I color in an ideal cut round. My only caution is that if you increase the center too much, your sides may be too small. My diamond is 8.4mm and when I put my 6mm studs next to it, I think proportionally I would not like a larger center than about 8.5mm with 6mm side stones. So just be careful with your proportions.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You can generally go lower in color with colored sidestones than, say, with white diamond pave.

Some people really like faint tints (L or lower) with blue sapphire.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've set both a J and F colour diamonds with same side blue sapphires and none of them looked much smaller. It is possible that the issue is the colour of the two sapphire sidestones.

big_spark

Rough_Rock

Thanks everybody. I think I found my perfect choice for a 3+ center stone. If it is too big for a three stone setting then I will probably go to a simple solitaire and do something special with the sapphires... Maybe some stacking rings or something. It is going to be a two weeks until I receive my 3 stone reset, so I have some time to browse solitaires. I am drawn to Harriet's Leon Mege solitaire. So beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results