shape
carat
color
clarity

Could I request some kitty dust?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gretta is losing weight. She's seven this year. I've seen her drinking and she's seems to be eating - she had some wet food earlier and she devoured a handful of Temptations; she wasn't interested in kibble but that could be because she just didn't want the stuff given other options... and she's been cuddling, purring, and grooming our faces as avidly as ever, and she doesn't seem to be overly lethargic or sleeping more than usual... The only symptom of anything wrong is that she's thrown up a handful of times this week.

She's always been just-this-side-of-too-chubby so we were happy when she started whittling herself down a few weeks ago - we assumed Alex had coaxed her into more play than usual. Our vet has said she's supposed to be 9.5-10lbs so we still didn't worry when she stabilised 9.2-9.3ish, but last week we both got wretchedly busy and didn't weigh her for several days and yesterday she was down to 8.8 and now I'm terrified :(sad

I KNOW she's probably fine. DH and I promised ourselves we'd hold off on worrying about her until she dropped below 9, and it's not like 8.8 is hugely out of range, and she's going to the vet first thing tomorrow morning, but... well, it's been one thing after another since end of May and I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to my furbabies at the best of times, and the last time one of our cats started inexplicably losing weight he (her brother, five years ago) was diagnosed with liver failure symptomatic of FIP and we were told he probably had a couple of weeks left, and...

The other three are fine. I do remember when Garret was ill Gretta wouldn't leave his side, and none of the others are behaving oddly at all, so that makes me hopeful that it isn't anything serious... I don't often ask, but I'd really appreciate any dust you can spare.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty - I will be crossing my fingers for you. Keep us updated!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, I'm sending you truck loads of dust your way. I can see how worried you are. Please try to relax a little. It may really be nothing at all. I will be praying all goes well at her vet visit. Please keep us updated after her appointment. I also worry all the time about my fur baby and that is also on good day. Hugs

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Dust for your furry friend! Hope you are doing well other than worrying about little Gretta. <3

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dust for Gretta!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Kitty dust headed your way!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kitty dust heading across the pond.

DK :))

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kitty dust coming your way..cats have a way of worming their way into your heart...

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much dust for Gretta, and best to you too, it is really tough when a pet might be sick.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Yssie, I know just how miserable you feel. I'm the same way -- anybody sneezes twice & I get all worked up. Dust in bundles, packages, boxes, for you & Gretta! Keep your chin up -- she's probably fine. Let us know, ok? Will be sending her some WELL vibes!

--- Laurie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
dust your way.
has your vet done blood work since these symptoms developed?
this is very much like diabetes and/or kidney disease.
diabetes can be reversed with diet and even after receiving insulin a cat may go into remission.
kidney disease is harder.......

I know it is very scary when your kitty is losing weight.
my Brita girl went from 18.5 pounds to 10 pounds 10 ounces......and yes it is diabetes.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed for Gretta, Yssie!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kitty dust coming your way!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Healing vibes across the miles. Let us know what the Vet says.

cheers--Sharon

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
No good when our fur babies are sick! healing dust for you.
yessiedust2.gif

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like a lot of weight loss in a short time. I hope the vet gives you good news. Sending lots of dust to Gretta.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of healthy kitty dust!

Hopefully the vet is able to figure it out quickly and it turns out to be nothing bad. There are lots of things that can have kitties lose weight but still be healthy. I'll be sending you and Gretta lots of hugs!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of dust for Gretta Yssie

lulu

Ideal_Rock
We had this exact scenario with our cat, Ivan. It turned out to be his thyroid. Once on meds he was fine. Sending you lots of kitty dust!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Dust! Hyperthyroid was what I was going to suggest, too. If the cat is 7 or up, it could be. If the thyroid really takes off, the cat can drop a lot of weight in a very short time.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots and lots of kitty dust!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots and lots of kitty dust to Gretta!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Loads of kitty dust!

Hopefully its nothing and she's fine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Yssie, I am so sorry. I am sending you bucket loads of get well kitty dust and tons of good wishes for your dear Gretta and you!!! (((HUGS))) to you both.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lulu|1407721538|3729949 said:
We had this exact scenario with our cat, Ivan. It turned out to be his thyroid. Once on meds he was fine. Sending you lots of kitty dust!

yes - this is what happened with my cat. The meds helped tremendously, although they did make him a bit oily looking. =)

Sounds as though whatever it is you are catching it early - if it IS anything medical.
Best of Luck figuring this out quickly!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, everyone.

It turned out our shipping scale was off and she wasn't even 8.8lbs, only 8.1 :(sad We've bought an infant/toddler scale and from now on we'll do weighings on both just to double-check. I took her to get looked at Monday morning and the vet couldn't feel any swelling or impaction and said she was well-hydrated, and she doesn't have any teeth or mouth problems, so they're doing a full geriatric bloodwork panel and we should hear back this afternoon. Our vet did also say that diabetes or her thyroid were the most likely culprits!

In the meantime she's been eating small spoonfuls of kitten kibble and drinking the liquid out of cans of wet. DH and I are staggering our time at work to feed her as often as possible. She's been spending most of her time on my pillow - she hesitates to jump more than a couple of feet and absolutely refuses to land on anything hard (tile, wood)...

On the plus side all this worrying is really helping me lose those last ten pounds :-o

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, Thank you for keeping us updated. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of what has been wrong with Getta today and they come up with a plan to get her feeling like herself again. Sending more dust your way! Hugs

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Still more dust for you & Gretta, Yssie. I hope the news is good -- something easy to fix & have her back to her old self again soon! :wavey:

--- Laurie

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dust to you and Gretta! Gretta is a lucky kitty, to have such attentive kitty parents!

When Miss Maya had similar symptoms it turned out to be a thyroid condition. So far (five or six years in) it's been very easy to treat. She gets pilled twice a day. She doesn't like to be pilled, but she's not too bad about it either. As you would expect it does increase the visits to the vet though: my vet insists on twice-yearly blood panels, and once in a great while she'll have a bout of throwing up or something that will cause us to get an unscheduled blood test, just to make sure we don't need to change the dosage.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the blood panel was definitely in order.
if not already notified please make sure your vet knows about Greta not wanting to jump down on any hard surface.
lots of kitty dust to Greta!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results