carat
color
clarity

Metal dilemma

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Metal dilemma

I took these photos. The indoor ones are in my office lighting which, by all accounts, is the absolute worst lighting for this stone. I wasn't going to post them for that reason,but I think they can be helpful.
Also please forgive my terrible nails!!

uploadfromtaptalk1407290815914.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407290833697.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407290846077.jpg

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock

Niel said:
I took these photos. The indoor ones are in my office lighting which, by all accounts, is the absolute worst lighting for this stone. I wasn't going to post them for that reason,but I think they can be helpful.

I don't even paint my nails :p any effort is better than nothing! just from those photos:

I'm going to say yellow-type for the prongs, and a white metal for the rest of it. it really shines against that paper clip, and gets camouflaged in the yellow.. I think even a high shine white metal (which I don't usually like) would be even better against the sparkliness of your stone!

how are you going to do it up?! I'm also stuck on my setting :( analizing is so inevitable.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1407290560|3726911 said:
Starzin!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. You know I actually really like the 10k color with it, at least with the pics next to it. One concern there; the recycled aspect. I wonder how easy it is for the normal vendor to get recycled 10k yg material.
You're welcome Niel and yes, I agree on the 10k yellow gold. In fact having just seen the paper clip, I'm not enamored with white (but I like the palladium pic).

As to the recycled aspect, I'm afraid I can't help except to point you at this website where maybe you can make enquiries and who the vendors might be who use it. Hoover and Strong with more information on each type on this page.

They also have another website called Harmony Metals which is all about recycled metals and conflict free gems. Be aware that the links top left will take you back to the Hoover and Strong site.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Also read the FAQ page on the Hoover and Strong site -

" Why does your 14KY gold stock have a reddish tint?
Hoover & Strong offers two 14K yellow gold alloys; 14K Yellow and 14K Royal. Some customers see these alloys as more toward the pinkish hue and greenish hue respectively. These alloys expand our precious metal offerings to our customer base to meet their design needs."

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sonyachancs said:
Niel said:

I don't even paint my nails :p any effort is better than nothing! just from those photos:

I'm going to say yellow-type for the prongs, and a white metal for the rest of it. it really shines against that paper clip, and gets camouflaged in the yellow.. I think even a high shine white metal (which I don't usually like) would be even better against the sparkliness of your stone!

how are you going to do it up?! I'm also stuck on my setting :( analizing is so inevitable.
Oh the setting is pretty much determined besides one aspect, the center stone.
The setting will be more like a solitaire with accents more than a three stone. I bought some rose cuts at 3mm that will be bezeled. I will either ALSO bezel the the center stone or go with prongs. If i went prongs the chryso would have a band on the basket that would connect to the bezel part of the side stones. Way more likely to do prongs because I'm afraid the bezel will darken the stone. The bezels may or may not get millgrained, then prooobably a rounded shank. The stone is pretty much square but ever so slightly off square so I have to decide if it goes ns or ew. LOTS of little things to decide bit the big things are decided.

Aaaaand, more pics

uploadfromtaptalk1407292219776.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407292567673.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407292609616.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Niel who are you planning on having make this, have you decided or is it still up in the air?

FWIW... I'm in favour of setting all the stones in one metal once you've decided which metal. Yep, even the diamonds. :twisted:

Are you going to foil or enclose the bottom of the rose cuts? Otherwise you may get the "see through" look they're famous for - a rose cut has no pavillion, therefore there is nothing to send the light back to the viewer.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It has to be majority of white gold, that's something I already decided. So I wouldn't do it all yellow,but I'm open to partially yellow (see pic)
I only know one vendor so far that uses recycled metal, but good news is I love that vendor so that's good,but im not completely set.

As for the rose cuts, if they are see though they are see though, I'm aware of that and I'm really not concerned. At the size they are, i would be happy if they were see though. But I will look I to it when I get them in hand, they are currently in transit.

uploadfromtaptalk1407293231234.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Aah... okay. In that case I would suggest looking into the lower karat gold (or low YG and 14k palladium)for both metals to keep the balance.

Good-oh that you were aware re the rose cuts - looking forward to seeing this when finished! :))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

OMG cushion chryso! where did you get it?????

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Niel|1407293258|3726947 said:
It has to be majority of white gold, that's something I already decided. So I wouldn't do it all yellow,but I'm open to partially yellow (see pic)
I only know one vendor so far that uses recycled metal, but good news is I love that vendor so that's good,but im not completely set.

As for the rose cuts, if they are see though they are see though, I'm aware of that and I'm really not concerned. At the size they are, i would be happy if they were see though. But I will look I to it when I get them in hand, they are currently in transit.

I like that idea. I have a white diamond in a mostly platinum setting with in a halo of yellow diamonds/YG and I love it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1407254504|3726493 said:
Problem solved ;-)

Well at least that's an economical way to set a stone, I should try that. :lol: ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1407295255|3726968 said:
OMG cushion chryso! where did you get it?????
Finewater!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just recently? I'm so jealous!!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1407351556|3727341 said:
Just recently? I'm so jealous!!!!
I bought it after he got back from his trip. December maybe? Yeah its a lovely color I haven't often seen in chryso and the cut is killer. Its 6.5x6.6

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Goh! Well, you know where to find me, should you decide yellow is not for you! (and by that I mean...you should decide yellow is not for you hahahahaha)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1407358060|3727409 said:
Goh! Well, you know where to find me, should you decide yellow is not for you! (and by that I mean...you should decide yellow is not for you hahahahaha)
It could happen. You have first dibs

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still can't believe you let that other awesome chryso ring go, but this one is also a very pretty chryso! My vote would also be for high K YG to bring out the yellow. :)

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock

I like the idea of the yellow prongs for the center stone with the bezels in white metal. But you have excellent taste so I'm sure it will turn out well whatever you do. Loved your other chryso ring.
I don't know how symmetric your rose cuts are. My old mine cuts are a little wonky. That's part of why Leon beadset them instead of bezeled them--you can see the beads if you look closely--and then he could make the outline look uniform. Just something to consider if you are working with antique stones.
Where is that ring with the lavender center stone from?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel|1407358304|3727412 said:
packrat|1407358060|3727409 said:
It could happen. You have first dibs

:appl: woo hoo!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Niel, I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to say that I think your new project is going to turn out beautifully - your stone is fantastic, especially with such a new yellow, and your setting ideas will certainly showcase it well!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nyquestioner|1407368735|3727554 said:
I like the idea of the yellow prongs for the center stone with the bezels in white metal. But you have excellent taste so I'm sure it will turn out well whatever you do. Loved your other chryso ring.
I don't know how symmetric your rose cuts are. My old mine cuts are a little wonky. That's part of why Leon beadset them instead of bezeled them--you can see the beads if you look closely--and then he could make the outline look uniform. Just something to consider if you are working with antique stones.
Where is that ring with the lavender center stone from?

Sorry I just saw this now. That lavender spinel is a PS ring

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lilac-gray-spinel-with-avc-sides-by-brilliant-mike-robinson.176290/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lilac-gray-spinel-with-avc-sides-by-brilliant-mike-robinson.176290/[/URL]

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So the rose cuts didn't work . I'm thinking of buying some 4mm cushions . Do you think with the color of my stone it would be worth it to spring for Ds? In my head I feel like the stone really needs that contrast with the pop of white .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results