shape
carat
color
clarity

Our 16 Month Old Newfoundland Puppy, Griffin, Is Home!

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
I once read a story about a woman who had 6 adopted children. When asked what her most important piece of parenting advice was she answered, "you need one dog for each teenaged girl"! Griffin looks like he does a great job, and he must be a really great hug when you need one!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a special gift that boy is, Deb! I want I want I want!!!

Keep the photos coming -- we love 'em!

--- Laurie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently introduced a friend to the Pricescope RockyTalky forum because she was hoping to get a large solitaire. She took a photo of Griffin a few nights ago that was better than most shots I have taken of him. The way I have edited it may have undone her good work, however!

Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

griffdogaugust232013.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Could this pooch be cuter or cuddlier? (altho at his size "cuddly" might not be the proper descriptor!) :bigsmile:

PS: I'll offer to look after him when you go on vacation. Or maybe he look after "me". :))

cheers--Sharon

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, he is one big...Dog? Horse? Not sure which, but he sure is handsome either way!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I can never get enough Griffin pics!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ladies. He really couldn't be any cuddlier. As far as taking care of you, Sharon, I have been told that if push comes to shove (so to speak) that these dogs will defend their owners. Since their "job" is to rescue sailors at sea, they are highly protective and I could see that. On the other hand, I have also seen (as mentioned before) that they are on the list of the ten worst watchdogs and the ten worst guard dogs. I also have seen delivery men step over my dog's sleeping body while bringing packages to the door. My Lab would have torn them to shreds! I can only trust that the dog would be able to tell malice when he saw it!

Deb
:saint:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Griffin is beautiful! =)

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
What a magnificent dog, Deb!!! How's his health?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one gorgeous and GIANT dog!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1377736289|3511587 said:
What a magnificent dog, Deb!!! How's his health?

We haven't gotten the most recent cultures from his ears back showing if there are any traces of MRSA. (The vet just cultured them a few days ago.) Until we get word on that, he will remain on Clindamycin. You can see from the photo that his head is pretty straight, though. He had been holding it tipped distinctly to one side for weeks, which was very alarming. He is not longer stumbling or nauseated/refusing to eat, either. I would say he is definitely on the mend! Thank you for asking!

PS-I just saw I never mentioned the MRSA in this thread. I think I may have mentioned his recent ataxia in another thread somewhere on Pricescope, though. Was that why you were asking about Griffin's health, Rosebloom?

Deb

Angel2013

Rough_Rock
Griffin is so adorable! I hope all is good with him now

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angel2013|1378022449|3513188 said:
Griffin is so adorable! I hope all is good with him now

Thank you very much, Angel!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Griffin never used to get up on our furniture, but he started to do so when he became very frightened during thunderstorms. In fact, he often jumps on and off the same piece of furniture many times unless he can settle down on top of me to be comforted during a storm. Last night as I came downstairs I saw him just sitting on the couch (no thunderstorm). My daughter decided to join him. I thought they looked adorable and took a picture.

Deb/AGBF ;))

griffy82014.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love, love, love the picture AGBF. Worthy of framing. Gorgeous daughter, beautiful doggie.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb, what a great picture! You've written about your daughter so often over the years, and it's nice to see a photo of her. Griffin is adorable and HUGE!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a great picture. Griffin is one of the most handsome dogs I have ever seen. He has quite the presence. And your daughter is very lovely Deb. Beautiful family! :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous daughter you have, Deb! She looks smart too. Griffin, however, is a PERSONAGE. (And SO darling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

--- Laurie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, everyone-

I know that this is a very old thread and that no one has posted anything here in years. Nonetheless, this is Griffin's old thread.

I said in another thread that people should post anything they wanted to reply here to avoid threadjacking that thread.

Griffin is, now, sick and hospitalized. The veterinarians are not sure what caused the breakdown in his health, but he came home from being boarded for just a few days in terrible shape and almost died. His kidneys were an issue as was his skin. He was running a fever of 105 degrees; was not eating; and couldn't stand up. Eventually he became totally unresponsive, which is when I had to get a volunteer ambulance crew to move him to a 24 hour emergency veterinary facility. he has been there for about three days now and it has been touch and go. But I believe that things are looking up, although the vet now in charge is still trying to look for an underlying cause and griffin is still not himself.

Deb :wavey:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely boy, everything crossed he makes a full recovery.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
prayers continue for Griffin Deb.
huge hugs from wifey and I.

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My goodness! I'm so very sorry that you are going through this. Poor Griffin! I'm sure you're very frustrated, and worried sick. I hope that his health continues to improve, and that he gets to go home soon.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get well soon Griffin!..=)2

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs, Deb. I hope Griffin makes a speedy and full recovery.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, I'm so sorry. Hugs and prayers and will be thinking of you!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got a phone call from one of the veterinarians saying that Griffin was agitated and might have laryngeal paralysis. She wanted to know if I wanted him to be intubated if he couldn't breathe on his own. He would have had to have emergency surgery for the laryngeal paralysis. My last dog, a large lab, had the surgery, but he was not in terrible health like this when he had it. The vet and I agreed that with all the other problems Griffin is facing that it would inhumane to put him through more procedures and a surgery. She called back to say that they had tried more medications to calm him but that they had not worked. He was still having trouble breathing and his fever was almost 106 degrees. She asked if she should go through with euthanasia, with she did. My daughter and I are trying to process this now; I think it has not, yet, sunk in. We have not shed a tear.

Deb

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, I'm so so so sorry. I don't know what else to say. Please try to remember what a good life he had with you and that he knows how much you love him. Hugs.

I just say the picture of your daughter with him. Your daughter is very beautiful! I know it is completely the wrong time to tell you, but was worried that I would forget. It looks like they were very good friends.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb I am so very sorry. You did all you could for Griffin and it was the only humane choice. You gave him a wonderful life and he knew how much he was loved and adored and he loved and adored you.
Griffin is at peace now.
Sending you gentle hugs and love and keeping you in my thoughts.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, I'm so very sorry to hear the news. I always feel that we are privileged to be entrusted with their care, and when the end comes, to ease their suffering, no matter how hard it is for us, even when we know it's the right and only thing we can do. I've read through the entire thread, and your boy sounds like he was a real character and was very lucky to have found you. No matter how long they're with us, it's just never long enough. Run free big boy.

IMG_1448.PNG

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear Lord, I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my face for your boy. I remember the day you brought him home Deb! Since we just lost a much loved fur girl last January, I can say this with certainty. They may be gone from this world now, but they are not gone forever. I can feel Bella around me and in the house everyday. He will never be far from you. I am so sorry you are hurting. You and your family have my prayers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results