shape
carat
color
clarity

I Never Thought I'd Wear Red (Spinel)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have hated photographing this stone since I got it. Peter posted a picture of this stone to his Flickr account years and years ago - April 2010 I believe, and he told me that it was difficult to photograph when I bought it. Anyway, I've had this stone in my collection for a long time, and it even made a brief trip over the border to live up north for a while, but it found it's way back to me. I told myself I wasn't going to let it go again, and that I should just set it aside and come up with ideas to set it later. But....

Peter Torraca
Red Spinel
1.31ct.
5.56x6.85x4.51mm.
Custom Rectangular Cushion.

"Red spinel is hard to come by, so I am often recutting it from poorly cut stones I find at shows. In this case, I had to create a rectangular cushion to suit the the existing stone -- it's often a challenge because one has to maintain as much weight as possible, but still close windows, improve symmetry, and dodge inclusions. The result is often a completely new design -- as you see here. "

I'd have to come up with the idea and the funds for a totally custom setting, as the stone was too short and wide for a stock 5x7mm setting. Plus, those are few and far between, it turns out. So I came up with an idea, art deco inspired with a bunch of baguettes (since it's not a brilliant cut stone!) and blah blah blah, and said, "Ok, after I've set allllll of my other gems, I'll save up the cash to set this." Because it wasn't going to be cheap!

And then a ring came around, preloved. It had two baguettes, and two emeralds, and a blue-green tourmaline in the center. Well, the tourmaline got pretty badly chipped, and I didn't know what to do. I started thinking about replacement options and OH WAIT! The red spinel could maybe fit!

And it did. So now I have a red ring. Thats terrible, horrible, very bad (hard) to photograph.

_21138.jpg

img_0363.jpg

red_cushion.jpg

red_6.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Setting sketch. And miscellaneous settings that I tried with it.

red_setting.jpg

_21139.jpg

tacori_red.jpg

terrible_lighting.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And finally the setting. (I'm totally bummed about the tourm - so beautiful! But I don't think it's salvageable...)

blue_green.jpg

_21140.jpg

_21141.jpg

_21142.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More....

_21143.jpg

_21144.jpg

_21145.jpg

_21146.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More...

_21147.jpg

_21148.jpg

_21149.jpg

_21150.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More....

_21151.jpg

_21152.jpg

_21153.jpg

_21154.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one!

Ring size is a 6.5, but the ring is actually a size 7.75 right now, which works when it's paired with the baguette band right now because it's over 100 every day right now and my fingers have been swelling like crazy!

_21155.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I took a group shot. Or three. It doesn't play well with others. It's funny to me how easy some stones are to photograph, but this is probably the most difficult one I've ever had.

Anyway! I hope you guys enjoyed!

(And now I'm done with colored stones for a while....probably for the rest of the year. Because of another project I have that I'm hoping to complete in the fall, the CS bling fund has been completely depleted.)

_21156.jpg

_21157.jpg

_21158.jpg

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
You have the most amazing collection ! I think the spinel looks like it belongs in that setting, wear it in good health ! :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah! I forgot a funny anecdote. The stone has some purple modifier in it, which I love, because otherwise I probably wouldn't like the stone that much (I'm really not a warm colors girl, turns out). Anyway, I showed it to my husband after I got it back, but we were in a rush to go somewhere, so he exclaims, "It's purple!"

Later, I asked him for clarification, and he tells me that it is red, but that he sees some purple in it. I was suitably impressed, and plan on asking him/driving him crazy asking him what secondary modifiers he sees in other stones in the future. My husband is a math nerd and I never would have considered that he might have an eye for color.

So, yes, the spinel has a purple modifier making it less than stoplight red, but it actually reminds me of the color of those deep red roses that are so popular at Valentine's Day. I might actually have to buy a rose and try to do a photoshoot. :wall:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life|1407482298|3728390 said:
You have the most amazing collection ! I think the spinel Lola like it belongs in that setting, wear it in good health ! :love:
Awww!!! Thanks! It's been a long road to get to this point. My collection has changed so much, even in the past year. It's crazy. :loopy:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: Fantastic spinel :appl:

Mahenge or Burma??? ( think Mahenge )

super combination ( cut and color ) and the ring is very elegant!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone!!! It looks gorgeous on you.
I love it in this setting.

And thank you for sharing your new family pic. I am always amazed to see your collection. How often do you alternate your rings?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke, your new setting is perfect for your spinel. And I love that color (with purple modifier and all). :love:

Your newest collection picture is OMG and making my heart beat fast. Luckily I am not getting my blood pressure checked right now because I think it would be above the acceptable numbers lol.

Wear your beautiful new ring in health and happiness. :appl:

Skitty

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful ring and great collection!!! Your newest ring fits perfectly in your collection.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - I LOVE that! Beautiful color and I adore the setting. Nicely done! :love:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautifully! I like it on its own and with the diamond band. It's definitely a keeper.

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
I really admire that Peter Torocca cut! Great crystal, and a very fitting setting as well. And thanks for the collection shots, they are all lovely to look upon.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful collection! I love the cut on the red spinel. It goes very well with the step-cut side stones.

Sorry about your green tourmaline! it was (is) very pretty.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
WOW! I want! :love: :love: :cheeky:

I love the stone, and I was really considering that setting when it hit preloved. But I was going to put a round stone in it, and I think your emerald cut looks a lot better.

It's gorgeous, and frankly, it's my favorite out of your whole collection. :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I'd wanted to snag that setting for my yellow ec, but the spinel looks fantastic in it!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Freke there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with any of those photos... they're gorgeous! :love: Particularly the hand shots - I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Any of the settings you tried would have looked terrific but the one you chose suits it beautifully. It is sooo different for you but just beautiful... enjoy :appl:

Lovely to see the 6-month handful update too! As you say... my how things have changed ;))

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats, Freke!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not much of a red person either, but that is beautiful! And your collection is fantastic!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Reds are such a b*tch to photo but you've managed to do an excellent job. That is my dream setting for a step cut. It's an amazing ring. I hope I get to "meet" it soon ;-)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a perfect fit! I can sympathize with how difficult it is to photograph red spinels.

I also like it with the tapered shank with the line of melee (below the split-shank and above the baguette). Can you tell me where you found that tapered shank setting?

I see that you put the blue topaz back in the setting with the half moons. Any chance that you would be willing to sell it to someone who is also looking for a red spinel setting? :naughty: :wavey:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is a wonderful color and the setting looks perfect for the spinel!.. :appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forgot to add the info I have on the side diamonds: F-G in color, VS1-SI1 in clarity and weigh approximately 0.55ctw

Marlow - Thank you! I think it's elegant too, and just sort of fell into my lap. I don't know, and I didn't ask Peter, but I'd guess Burmese.

Acinom - Thank you! I actually rarely wear my rings (I know, I know) but I tend to just go to my jewelry box and grab one when I am leaving the house. Sometimes I just grab a band. Lol.

Missy - Thanks! Me too! I feel like I almost have a rainbow, it's just heavy on the cool colored stones. Funnily I still have three more cool colored ring stones to be set, unless I change my mind and sell some of them or something.

Skitty - thank you!

ecf8503 - thanks! I think they are a good combo!

kgizo - thank you! I don't plan to let go of it any time soon.

ephsea - Me too! I love that he came up with it specially for the stone. I think that when cutters cut freely rather than cutting to a diagram is always the most difficult but interesting part of the job!

Cookie - Thank you! I felt like step cuts were really the only way to go with it. Although I certainly played with halo ideas with round stones for a long time!

iLander - Yeah, it seems like it was in high demand there at the end. Your favorite? Really? At this point, I think I have too many to choose a favorite.

Starzin - I took a TON of pictures to get the ones I posted. I think I took some pictures of it with my hot pink stone years ago, but I have no idea where I could find them now. I may have posted them....

MZ - thanks! Moving into the warmer colors, and branching out with my jewelry!

EvangelineG - thank you!

athenaworth - Thanks. I need to take it outside and really try harder with the photos. It's just really difficult to want to go outside to photograph stuff when the temps are so high. But it's where the best lighting is!

Pregcurious - I know what you mean. They are a beast to photograph. Which tapered setting are you asking about? Maybe the color stone would help? I am still a bit sleepy...

As for the blue topaz, it was a gift from my husband, so it'll be sticking around for a while.

DandT - Good to see you around friend! You need to post your own new spinel ring! Thank you!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The tapered setting is this one. Based on the name of the file, it's from Tacori?

psfreke_tacori_red.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
And the setting from your picture that I am interested in is this half-moon setting. I think your periwinkle spinel was in this setting?

psfreke_21157.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results