shape
carat
color
clarity

Lifeline Stem Cell Skin Care?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
A skincare consultant told me the Lifeline Stem Cell Skin Care line is a great for anti-aging and rejuvenation. Has anyone used these products?

They claim to have found a way to produce stem cells without a fertilized egg.

I take most claims about skin care with a grain of salt. The stuff is big money, but if it's revolutionary, maybe it'll save my neck!

I hesitated to post neck shots in my pear necklace re-set thread because I see a noticeable difference from 7 years ago when the pear necklace was first created. ;(

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not heard about this but am interested in hearing from those who have. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. How I wished I'd used sunscreen on my neck when I was younger.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Ugh! :knockout: As a scientist, fake science used to sell beauty products is a peeve of mine. :angryfire:

These products are unlikely to do any thing different than any other beauty product care regime.
Keep in mind all clinical trials of beauty product effect are done vs the control state of no product used, so using any moisturizer etc. will have a significant effect vs not using one.

Their marketing schtick:
"The peptides from non-embryonic human stem cells send signaling molecules to repair damaged skin cells."

In plain language:
The short amino acid chains (bits of chopped up protein) from undifferentiated human cells (generic type cells of human origin that haven't specialized to become a muscle cell, or a bone cell, or an organ cell etc. [probably a bit the slime/dregs left after their lab studies, basically biological waste that would be disposed of in a biohazard bin) "send signaling molecules"(Uh Nope. Fragments of protein can't do this. They are not alive so can't manufacture or send signaling molecules. At best they might trigger some kind of allergic reaction on your skin.) to repair damaged skin (Your body already does this naturally).

The amount of processing/sterilizing the company would have to do to the human stem cell proteins (from someone you don't know :sick: ) to make them fit to slather them on the surface of your skin, would likely also neutralize any useful properties they once had.

You may as well scrape dead skin from your feet and put it in the blender with your favorite moisturizer for the same effect (at least you would know which human the proteins were from :halo: ).

Stem cells are used in medical treatments, and can be generated from human skin, but they are used for things like growing custom bone scaffolds to be surgically implanted to repair damage, repopulating insulin producing cells in the pancreas, and to assist in wound healing. Stem cells are kind of like Lego blocks you can use to build any organ/tissue you want. They are applied by injection, or during surgery (not rubbed gently on the surface of the skin). The problem is that stem cells also have a tendency to form tumors, or not mature into the type of cell you want. Stem cells could be great for regrowing/ reforming damaged or diseased tissue, but we're still figuring out how to use them effectively and safely http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell.

This beauty product would have you believe that chopped up tiny bits of human stem cell proteins mixed into beauty products will have some extra special effect over and above what your skin does naturally. The fact is your skin is already constantly repairing and replacing itself.

Topical beauty products may have a minor effect on the appearance of the surface of your skin, but it's not going to do the heavy duty work of intensive dermatological treatments such as dermabraision or lazer treatments. Speak to a cosmetic dermatologist about your options, you may be surprised!

(rant over)

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
HopeDream|1407383072|3727679 said:
Ugh! :knockout: As a scientist, fake science used to sell beauty products is a peeve of mine. :angryfire:
(rant over)
Hahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I hear you!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HopeDream|1407383072|3727679 said:

Thank you for translating that fake science into (wonderfully annotated) plain English for us!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I am not familiar with the product line. I did a basic search and found some reviews on various sites that sell it. The reviews are mixed (good and bad). I feel that I'm fairly educated about skincare products and the fact that I've never heard of the product line would be enough to scare me away. Have you tried SkinCeuticals (which is actually backed by real science) or Cellex-C products? Cellex-C makes a neck firming serum (Lift Effect Serum for Neck & Decollete).

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1407426424|3727901 said:
I am not familiar with the product line. I did a basic search and found some reviews on various sites that sell it. The reviews are mixed (good and bad). I feel that I'm fairly educated about skincare products and the fact that I've never heard of the product line would be enough to scare me away. Have you tried SkinCeuticals (which is actually backed by real science) or Cellex-C products? Cellex-C makes a neck firming serum (Lift Effect Serum for Neck & Decollete).
I'm not sure how new it is. I hadn't heard of it either.

Thanks for the tip on the neck cream! Have you used it?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have used the Cellex-C product. My sister recommended it to me because her main concern (when it comes to aging) is her neck, so she has tried several products with no results. The Cellex-C is the only one that she had any positive results with. I don't use it regularly (I always forget), so my results are limited. Obviously, topical products will only do so much, but my sister felt the the Cellex-C offered her a little improvement.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hmm http://www.stemcellskincarereviews.com seems to be full of misleading science as well. (FYI) I'm pretty sure it's a marketing website disguised as an analytical website. :geek:

For entertainment purposes only (I have not tried and do not endorse these products):

Seeing as we're on PS why not "diamond infused" skin care http://www.foreverflawless.com/

"There is mounting scientific evidence that associates diamonds with health benefits and improved well-being. Diamonds have a positive influence on various organs of the body. Diamonds reduce fever, fight infections, invigorate metabolism, rejuvenate blood circulation, and help with many skin disorders. Moreover, in alternative medicine, diamonds are known for strengthening all the energy centers of the human body. "

See! Diamonds are essential for our health! :bigsmile:

How about snail slime extract infused creams? :rodent:
https://www.snailstreet.com/

"Snail Street is a the No.1 Snail secretion based cosmetics brand in Japan that uses 86% Helix Aspersa Muller Snail secretion filtrate imported from Chile."

What is "86% Helix Aspersa Muller Snail secretion filtrate imported from Chile" ? It's water (all the way from Chile? they don't have water here?). Snail slime is mostly water, and so is this beauty cream. ;)) (Although it does contain some legitimate ingredients like allantoin, glycolic acid, and dimethicone.)

How about bird poo? http://uguisushop.com/ :shock:
Popular in Japan for over 400 years, nightingale droppings contain guanine and urea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uguisu_no_fun and has been used as a natural bleach for kimono stains.

So many, many choices!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I once saw some shampoo with "plant DNA". The DNA was supposed to help repair hair protein, making it stronger, shinier, etc.

1- If DNA is going to help, wouldn't mammalian DNA make a lot more sense than plant DNA?
2- DNA outside the cell is not going to help much with anything and DNA is much too large to pass through the cell wall
3- Hair is not made of living cells, so all that DNA is not going to help much.

sigh

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results