shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it silly to be tempted?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I went to my local jeweler to order a setting for a stone I'm giving my niece, and this ring started calling my name! He must have recently acquired it because I'm in there all the time and have never before seen it. At first I thought it was an older cut due to the setting it's in, which is in great shape but has an illusion head (which I'm a huge sucker for) and a vintage feel. Upon closer inspection I really think it's a modern cut, but without the perfect symmetry of the hearts and arrows. If you zoom in you can make out poorly formed "arrows" near the center, and no flowery pattern or chunkier facets of an OEC. So obviously this is not a perfectly cut diamond but it SURE does reflect light nicely. The jeweler estimated it to be about a half carat without taking it out of the setting, and I'd agree it's probably about that. He also says G VS2, and it definitely looked super white and clear to my eyes. I was too distracted to ask what metal the setting was made of, but I assume white gold. I loved it enough that I asked to try it on (it even fits perfectly), and saw a price tag of either $1195 or $1295- can't remember which one. Either way I thought it was tempting, but expensive enough to put back... And then he said I could have it for $850 and could pay a little at a time on a layaway plan. Aw crap. I've been saving to upgrade my emerald cut RHR, but this one really calls my name and it's so affordable! I feel like I've paid more for things I've loved less, and so I don't want to pass it by. I already have an engagement ring; I'd just wear this one on my right hand. What do you guys think? Yay or nay? I feel like I've seen just settings like this go for almost that much. I didn't ask specifically about the side stones but they twinkled quite nicely on my fingers. Here are some pics I took. Not the greatest, but you get the idea. Thanks in advance for helping me decide!

_21060.jpg

_21061.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
A little closer. Thanks for looking:)

_21062.jpg

_21063.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kelli! Super pretty ring... BUT.... was this something on your wish list? It reminds me of an e-ring, do you want to wear this on your e-ring finger? or just as a RHR? However, if you bought it and then decided later you didn't like it any longer, you could always sell it and wouldn't look like you'd lose much if any from selling it down the road yah know? if you think you will regret NOT getting it, then by all means get it, if it makes you happy.

I bought a lot of stuff, that I "thought" I would regret Not buying it, to find out later that it just sat in my box :(sad not being worn... but I have a wishy washy personality when it comes to material objects...lol

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I love it and that style of setting! 850 sounds so good to me lol! But I keep starting new projects, esp since being on PS... so I "might" not be a good person to ask!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys:) This would just be for a RHR, and I'll admit I already have plenty! And, I already have TWO modern round brilliant cuts (including my bigger and MUCH better cut engagement ring). The other I have as a small solitaire I use in a stacker set with some colored stones on my right hand. So really, no. This was not on my wish list.

STILL, it's a half(ish) carat diamond in a gorgeous diamond setting that totally sings to me for less than I've paid for some of the colored stones that sit in my jewelry box! And I could totally reuse the setting if down the road I found a true antique cut (or finally caved and got one of Good Old Gold's vintage rounds). And the fact that I can pay a couple hundred at a time… Makes it seem almost free, right? :devil: :lol:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see why you are tempted! It is a great deal! But I may be the wrong person to be asking because I never pass up a good deal! Most of my pieces come from an estate store because I have gotten to know the owner well and she actually gives me first dibs when she acquires new pieces! This weekend, I bought TWO pieces!!! How did I rationalize these UNEXPECTED purchases? I did the math. Because I did not pay retail prices, I realize that if I EVER have to sell these pieces, I can get most of my money back...and most is better than half or one-third if I paid retail. The first is a cocktail ring but the second is very similar to your potential purchase--another e-ring style.
image_2071.jpg

What can I say? I have always wanted a princess halo split-shank and the prices were a good deal! My other back-up is that I have a few nephews and nieces who will one day need engagement rings! I used to splurge on high-end clothing and handbags, and trust me, I never recovered most of my money on those pieces! So now my mad money goes to these little treasures which I enjoy thoroughly and retain some equity.
So I say, GO FOR IT!!! and maybe sell some of those RHR that are just sitting in your box? ....which reminds me that I need to put up some stuff on diamondbistro or LT.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get it

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys, and nala I can TOTALLY see why you splurged. I think it adds to the charm when it's an estate piece; it makes it seem all the more magical and meant to be when you find it.
The store where I found this ring is closed for the week, so I've thankfully got another little while to think about it. But... I know me and I'm probably gonna cave!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a fabulous price IF you are going to wear it!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a great price which you can easily recoup should you resell. Get it!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kelli, It's gorgeous. As far as I'm concerned a girl can never have too many rings! Go for it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results