shape
carat
color
clarity

Metal dilemma

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have a yellow chryso. Its not chartreuse or golden, but to my eyes a very nice lemonade yellow. (Pics below)

My concern is what metal to use for the prongs/ bezel (can't decide yet on that part)

Yellow gold from what I gave seen traditionally brings out the green in chrysos. I don't want to bring out any lingering green that might be in there. I also, don't want to bring out any golden hues, which makes me wary of yellow gold.

White gold with yellow seems to wash it out. I don't want to do that....

What do you guys think?

uploadfromtaptalk1407175007263.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407175022178.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407175039466.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Metal dilemma

Niel|1407175160|3725891 said:
So I have a yellow chryso. Its not chartreuse or golden, but to my eyes a very nice lemonade yellow. (Pics below)

My concern is what metal to use for the prongs/ bezel (can't decide yet on that part)

Yellow gold from what I gave seen traditionally brings out the green in chrysos. I don't want to bring out any lingering green that might be in there. I also, don't want to bring out any golden hues, which makes me wary of yellow gold.

White gold with yellow seems to wash it out. I don't want to do that....

What do you guys think?

And you can't use green gold either, as that will also bring out the green. How does it look on a copper penny? Do you think it would look good in rose gold?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought about that buy my concern is rose gold and yellow doesn't always look amazing, you know ?

If this helps, here are my setting inspirations, prong and bezel.

uploadfromtaptalk1407175704499.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407175721000.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407175801110.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's my concern, I don't want it to look like this

uploadfromtaptalk1407175944943.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1407175811|3725895 said:
I thought about that buy my concern is rose gold and yellow doesn't always look amazing, you know ?

Well, if you don't want yellow, rose, or white gold, you don't have many options left. Some gems just cannot give the proper look that one wants no matter what you try. I will say its a very pretty stone, but it is what it is, and if it has a slight green attribute, you might have to live with that. Yellow either sways toward green or towards the orange end of the spectrum, as it is right in the middle of those two colors on the spectrum. It is extremely rare to find a pure yellow gem without a little orange (golden color) or without a little green, so you may just need to live with some undesirable secondary color, or you may want to rethink keeping it if you can't live with that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1407176083|3725900 said:
Niel|1407175811|3725895 said:

Well, if you don't want yellow, rose, or white gold, you don't have many options left. Some gems just cannot give the proper look that one wants no matter what you try. I will say its a very pretty stone, but it is what it is, and if it has a slight green attribute, you might have to live with that. Yellow either sways toward green or towards the orange end of the spectrum, as it is right in the middle of those two colors on the spectrum. It is extremely rare to find a pure yellow gem without a little orange (golden color) or without a little green, so you may just need to live with some undesirable secondary color, or you may want to rethink keeping it if you can't live with that.

It's not a matter of not being able to live with it, its a matter of what metal would accentuate the stone best.

I know its a lovely, very yellow, stone. I am not contemplating the quality of the stone. Just what to do to best set it.

Thanks you!

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Niel,
Does this photo allay your concerns about white metal?
1401175_698662780172215_4265197398064314297_o.jpg

Also, could you set it next to some pale blue or pale purple stones to play up the yellow in your chrysoberyl (in which case the color of the metal may not be as influential)?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1407175955|3725898 said:

May I ask what/where that ring is from? I happen to actually like it for a 3 stone project I am working on. :whistle:

Also, maybe going with 14k unplated WG would be nice. It's still white metal, but slightly warmer.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JoCoJenn|1407188149|3725990 said:
Niel|1407175955|3725898 said:

May I ask what/where that ring is from? I happen to actually like it for a 3 stone project I am working on. :whistle:

Also, maybe going with 14k unplated WG would be nice. It's still white metal, but slightly warmer.
Caleb Meyer! His stuff is lovely isn't it ?

I was actually maybe even thinking unplated 18?

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade

Yellow gold 18k would be nice because of the yellow color of the stone, it'll make the stone pop

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I would stick with yellow gold. The color looks pretty neutral, but like any colored stone, it will probably shift a bit towards its secondary in some lighting. I think it's a pretty stone.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock

to me, I love wg with a yellow stone!I think it accentuates more than yellow gold, but I am certainly no CS expert by any means ;-)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I was going to suggest 20k white palladium gold without rhodium plating. Bear in mind it will not be brite-white, bit slightly yellowish. Likely it would have to be a custom alloy, but CM probably makes his own already anyway. I would recommend discussing the possible options with the goldsmith. If she/he is experienced with custom alloys then they may already know what to do. If they havent they might be interested in making a few experimental samples for your project that they then could add to their future offerings.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VapidLapid|1407250647|3726453 said:
I was going to suggest 20k white palladium gold without rhodium plating. Bear in mind it will not be brite-white, bit slightly yellowish. Likely it would have to be a custom alloy, but CM probably makes his own already anyway. I would recommend discussing the possible options with the goldsmith. If she/he is experienced with custom alloys then they may already know what to do. If they havent they might be interested in making a few experimental samples for your project that they then could add to their future offerings.

I like that idea. Here's one snafu, this project really needs to use recycled metal so I don't know I'd that's even an option, going so unique with the metal. But unplated white gold does seem like an option, I agree

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

TL said:
Well, if you don't want yellow, rose, or white gold, you don't have many options left.

Niel - pretty stone but I think you're left with crocheting a little snug for it so that you can take it out every hour on the hour to look at 8)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starzin|1407253392|3726475 said:
TL said:
Well, if you don't want yellow, rose, or white gold, you don't have many options left.

Niel - pretty stone but I think you're left with crocheting a little snug for it so that you can take it out every hour on the hour to look at 8)

To be fair, I see you guys analize every little bit about a stone.... So no need to poke fun when I've already found a stone I love and I may analize (maybe over analize) what will best keep the color in the stone that I love so much.

And I don't think it's ridiculous to say no to rose gold. Yellow and rose gold isn't flattering.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Problem solved ;-)

uploadfromtaptalk1407254476023.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Hmm, recycled may present a problem. That is if you are only interested in using scrap that you already have as the source for the gold. Some refiners may recycle and then make 24k grain from it. Or, if it still fits with your definition of recycled, start with an old 24kt coin

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

There are refiners who sell only recycled gold (24k). You could negotiate with the goldsmith to supply the gold for them to prepare into whatever alloy you prefer.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Gee, Niel, how did you manage that setting in your last pic? Who made that for you? Why, I'd hardly know it was there! You'll never have to worry about breaking it either -- just be careful when washing your hands. :lol:

--- Laurie

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1407259455|3726549 said:
Gee, Niel, how did you manage that setting in your last pic? Who made that for you? Why, I'd hardly know it was there! You'll never have to worry about breaking it either -- just be careful when washing your hands. :lol:

--- Laurie
So modern! So minimalist!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Neil - how about a ceramic ring? The colours are pretty endless. You could have the stone bezel set in an alloy between green and yellow gold (with less copper than usual but not enough for it to be noticeably green).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lady_Disdain|1407262258|3726586 said:
Neil - how about a ceramic ring? The colours are pretty endless. You could have the stone bezel set in an alloy between green and yellow gold (with less copper than usual but not enough for it to be noticeably green).
It needs to be for everyday wear. Is ceramic for everyday wear?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yes - it is the same material used for watches. Check Etienne Perret out - he is a pioneer in using ceramic materials in jewelry.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lady_Disdain|1407263466|3726606 said:
Yes - it is the same material used for watches. Check Etienne Perret out - he is a pioneer in using ceramic materials in jewelry.
Thanks! His stuff is so cool.

I am afraid I'm not that out there enough in my jewelry taste to want a ring like that for everyday though.

Right now I'm thinking yellow gold but prongs, I'm scared of bezeleing it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's a light yellow, similar enough to my stone. They did yg prongs with white, I think it looks good,better than the CM one showing all white
or

uploadfromtaptalk1407280056712.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I say just go all out with high karat yellow gold!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1407287458|3726886 said:
I say just go all out with high karat yellow gold!

I think you might be right.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1407254278|3726489 said:
Starzin|1407253392|3726475 said:
TL said:

To be fair, I see you guys analize every little bit about a stone.... So no need to poke fun when I've already found a stone I love and I may analize (maybe over analize) what will best keep the color in the stone that I love so much.

And I don't think it's ridiculous to say no to rose gold. Yellow and rose gold isn't flattering.

I apolgise if I upset you with my 2am misplaced attempt at levity Niel. Point taken. You have every right to take time to compare the colour and quality of the gold to set your lovely gem to its best advantage. So let me see if I can be a little more helpful in the light of day :))

While I've seen yellow rose and white gold (and palladium) mentioned there has been little discussion of 10k, 14k and 18k - and your answer may lie in going to a lower karat weight. Not only is it harder and thus less prone to dings and scratches, it should also be a little less expensive if that's a consideration. In Australia we seldom see 10k, 14k or 22k, but a lot of both 9k and 18k - I've had both and often preferred 9k because of it's softer look.

This is NOT aimed at anyone here - it's been my observation that the lower karat golds are somehow regarded as "less than" in the US whereas I have always thought personally that they are often able to "step back" and allow the gem to take centre stage.

Anyway FWIW...
These two next pictures (with Greenlake in between) are from Aide Memoire Jewelry bear in mind that photography also plays a large part in what we see from vendor site to vendor site. For the YG in particular, I'm not sure if you can detect the differences easily but on my monitor at least (iMac 24") the 18k is distinctly yellow, the 14k much pinker without being rose gold and then the 10k is a softer blend of the two.

18yg-14yg-14grn-greenlake.jpg

niel-yg-10k-14k-18k-aidememoirejewelry.jpg

niel-wg-palladium-comparison-aidememoirejewellry.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starzin!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. You know I actually really like the 10k color with it, at least with the pics next to it. One concern there; the recycled aspect. I wonder how easy it is for the normal vendor to get recycled 10k yg material.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results