shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a replica Tiffany setting for my 2 ct WF ACA

TwinkleCootie

Rough_Rock
All,

I recently purchase a 2.06 carat ACA stone from White Flash and am looking for a platinum setting that looks like this classic Tiffany 6-prong solitaire:

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?mcat=148203&groupSKU=GRP10001&origin=engagement&search_params=param+0/0/0/0/0/0

So far, the closest thing I could find was this Vatche setting from whiteflash but they do not have my girlfriend's size in stock and said that it could take weeks to custom order one. Also at $1,900, the price is a little steep for a setting:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1778.htm

I also saw this setting from Brian Gavin for $1,250 but do not know how closely it would resemble the Tiffany setting:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-half-round-platinum-5478p

I also saw a "knife edge" style from Brian Gavin as well:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-knife-edge-platinum-5336p

Does anyone have any thoughts or have any other suggestions for me to look into?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help me find a replica Tiffany setting for my 2 ct WF AC

I helped an Aussie couple buy the setting from Brian Gavin the knife-edge looks the most like a Tiffany (it is delicate and really does look similar) but keep in mind for some people the knife edge is not that comfortable to wear (the edge on the sides can rub or dig into some people) the people I helped decided on the half round and it was pretty similar looking as well.

I have never seen the Whiteflash or the ERD ones in person;

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/tiffany-inspired-pcid-16.html

The Brian Gavin is as close a copy as I have ever seen IRL, the ones made in Asia, on ebay and sold as Tiffany replicas in chain stores are nowhere near as delicate.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree, the half round while not as close a replica as the knife edge (which is pretty much exact) is going to significantly more comfortable to wear.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Go with the Vatche. It will probably take two weeks on average. It could take just as long sending it to another ring maker outside of WF. Many people here including myself have the Vatche U-113 and love it. Ask for 95%platinum/5%ruthenium (better alloy than the standard one). There is no cost to ask for that.

You cannot really feel the knife edge unless you hold your fingers tightly together. Knuckles serve a good purpose and usually keep that from happening! But regardless, once you have on a wedding band, you cannot feel the e-ring shank at all. It just feels like one wider band. I do not find the Vatche any less comfortable than my former rounded shank. If it was uncomfortable, I don't think so many of us would have this ring or the Tiffany ring, either! They would have stopped making it!

TwinkleCootie

Rough_Rock

So the BG knife edge is the cloeset thing to an exact replica? I could have sworn the vatche looks the same.... Diamondseeker, do you mind posting pics of your ring?

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

The BG knife's edge is definitely not the closest to Tiffany. Vatche U113 is very, very close.

GoldenRule

Rough_Rock

betterthandiamond has a stunning Tiffany repro. I have it in platinum. I'm not sure if they sell it without a stone though.

krisjon

Shiny_Rock

I know PSers aren't BN fans, but Blue Nile's Nouveau Knife Edge in platinum is a pretty close match, too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

krisjon|1407012254|3725058 said:
I know PSers aren't BN fans, but Blue Nile's Nouveau Knife Edge in platinum is a pretty close match, too.

they don't sell their settings without a stone purchase. 8)

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006 said:
Go with the Vatche. It will probably take two weeks on average. It could take just as long sending it to another ring maker outside of WF. Many people here including myself have the Vatche U-113 and love it. Ask for 95%platinum/5%ruthenium (better alloy than the standard one). There is no cost to ask for that.

You cannot really feel the knife edge unless you hold your fingers tightly together. Knuckles serve a good purpose and usually keep that from happening! But regardless, once you have on a wedding band, you cannot feel the e-ring shank at all. It just feels like one wider band. I do not find the Vatche any less comfortable than my former rounded shank. If it was uncomfortable, I don't think so many of us would have this ring or the Tiffany ring, either! They would have stopped making it!

I agree with DS! I have the special plat blend and it has held up extremely well. I have never felt the knife edge bother my fingers either. Production of my ring actually took less than two weeks (which we were thrilled with!) it has tricked tiffany sales associates as well. The cost is worth it IMO.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1406994640|3724951 said:

My Tiffany FY diamond has a knife edge mounting and I really don't notice it when I wear it.
However, what I think is a design flaw is that the knife edge goes all the way around the shank.
I scratched and dinged the bottom of the shank within one month (didn't help that cruise ship doors have metal door handles).

Does the Vatche U-113 have the knife edge all the way around? or just on the top?
Can a diamond be mounted in it so that the culet is visible? I like this because 1 - I like looking at the pavillion
2 - should be easier to clean with a toothbrush and liquid detergent.

TwinkleCootie

Rough_Rock

So is vatche u-113 the closest thing to a Tiffany setting that I can buy? My girl is set on a Tiffany setting so I am open to anything that is closest to the real thing.... What is so special about the 95% platinum/5% ruthenium combo?

Brit

Rough_Rock

In my opinion the Vatche u113 is the closest to Tiffany's you can find. I have been hunting all over for an actual used Tiffany setting. Sometimes people reset the diamonds and then sell the mount. So I have about a million pictures of different Tiffany rings so I could see all the variation in stamps etc. for comparison so I can spot fakes. Still haven't found one yet that had the right size stone. However, I have a Vatche stand in for the time being.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

TwinkleCootie|1407058152|3725284 said:
So is vatche u-113 the closest thing to a Tiffany setting that I can buy? My girl is set on a Tiffany setting so I am open to anything that is closest to the real thing.... What is so special about the 95% platinum/5% ruthenium combo?

Here is a (bad) comparison photo. Please keep in mind my stone is only 1ct. The stock tiffany photo is probably a larger stone.
Real tiffany stock photos from web

My vatche U113

Cflutist the knife edge is all the way around. I have no issues getting my baby toothbrush around the Pav to clean.

_20999.jpg

_20996.jpg

TwinkleCootie

Rough_Rock

^ thanks for the pictures! It looks like the vache is the closest thing I can find so far...on another note, is there a reason the setting is so expensive? Evrything else I see is in the $900-$1,250 range but this setting is $1,900.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock

GoldenRule|1407005181|3725024 said:
betterthandiamond has a stunning Tiffany repro. I have it in platinum. I'm not sure if they sell it without a stone though.

I just went to their site and looked at that setting. I compared it to Tiffany & co and It appears wider and the prongs are off/ slightly different. Which simulant do you have set in yours, an asha cz or moissanite? I suppose the op could pop out the simulant if that is the setting that is chosen. However I think the vatche U113 is more accurate, although not exact.

TwinkleCootie

Rough_Rock

Forgive my ignorance but what is so special about the 95% platinum 5% ruthenium combo? I was planning on going all platinum, what is the point of including the ruthenium? Also, can't get over the $1,900 price tag on the Vatche. I don't have a problem paying for quality as long as I know what I am paying for, but in this instance I don't understand how the Vatche setting is $900 "better" than the betterthandiamond setting. Can someone enlighten me?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

TwinkleCootie said:
Forgive my ignorance but what is so special about the 95% platinum 5% ruthenium combo? I was planning on going all platinum, what is the point of including the ruthenium? Also, can't get over the $1,900 price tag on the Vatche. I don't have a problem paying for quality as long as I know what I am paying for, but in this instance I don't understand how the Vatche setting is $900 "better" than the betterthandiamond setting. Can someone enlighten me?

It scratches less easily. It really is just a matter of preference. Here is a link from WF - scroll down a bit and you can read about the different plat alloys.

http://m.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/jewelry/an-overview-of-common-alloys.htm

I can't answer you if it is $900 "better" than the BTD setting as I only have experience with the Vatche. Also I saw you post in another thread about setting the diamond. If you decide to go with Vatche, the diamond is set by Vatche. This ensures the is done properly to Vatche standards and they also adjust the setting to the diamond size.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1406994640|3724951 said:

Keep in mind that if you order the Vatche U-113 you can request to have Vatche soften the knife edge. They've done that for our clients before.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

TwinkleCootie|1407122788|3725632 said:

Vatche is a high end designer, and they set the pricing. Every platinum piece has an alloy, whether it be cobalt, ruthenium, or iridium. Just as all 14k or 18k pieces are made with an alloy as well. Without the alloy, the piece would be unwearable as it would be too soft. Vatche offers a choice of 900 or 950 with either ruthenium or iridium, just be sure to let your vendor know which you prefer. I believe they charge the same regardless of which combo you pick.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Melissa,

How tall is the head on Vatche U-113?
Generally low, medium, and tall heads are available.
I like to see the culet which is why I'm asking.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

The u113 is a medium height. Tiffany is a tad lower but not crazy low. They pride themselves on setting it close to the finger. The only other differences I spot between tiffany and u113 is the shoulders of the shank on tiffany are marginally steeper. Also the scalloping of the prongs ends a bit lower and the prongs are slightly thinner in the tiffany. All very minor differences and closer than any other I've scrutinized.

TwinkleCootie

Rough_Rock

Thanks guys. It looks like I'm going to go with the Vactche. It is expensive but my girlfriend wants something as close as possible to the Tiffany setting and if this one is the closest, I'll take it.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

cflutist|1407173364|3725883 said:
Melissa,

It is a medium height, and if we ask them to set the stone so that the culet is visible, they will do so. They make each ring to the client's specs.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Winks_Elf|1407175716|3725894 said:
cflutist|1407173364|3725883 said:
Melissa,

It is a medium height, and if we ask them to set the stone so that the culet is visible, they will do so. They make each ring to the client's specs.
Well, unless they don't like your specs, they flat refused to make my Royal Crown how I asked for it. That's one of the main reasons I haven't reset into a U113 yet, that I don't believe that they'll do it exactly how I request it. If I am paying them for it, I want it the way I asked for it.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

I was told by vatche that they set the diamond according to what's aesthetically pleasing to the stone/setting and if I wanted to change the height it would incur a charge.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TwinkleCootie

Rough_Rock

Thanks for your input everybody. LovelikeCrazy's pictures pretty much did it for me so I called White Flash today and placed an order for the Vatche U-113 and went with the 95% platinum and 5% ruthenium blend. They told me that they could have it delivered to me in about two weeks. Now all I need is to get the stone insured through Jeweler's Mutual and find someone in the Bay Area that can set it for me...Hopefully I will have pictures of the "finished product" in a few weeks that I can show before it goes to my lady...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry I did not see your request to post pictures of my ring. I am on vacation! The reason for the alloy I mentioned is that it is harder than the typical 95plat/5iridium and will scratch less. Vatche sets the diamond the perfect medium height, in my opinion. The alloy change was the only thing I asked to be changed. I think she is going to love the ring!

TwinkleCootie

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1407214677|3726265 said:
Sorry I did not see your request to post pictures of my ring. I am on vacation! The reason for the alloy I mentioned is that it is harder than the typical 95plat/5iridium and will scratch less. Vatche sets the diamond the perfect medium height, in my opinion. The alloy change was the only thing I asked to be changed. I think she is going to love the ring!

Yes I asked White Flash about the 95plat/5ruthenium and they said the same thing. Thanks for posting the suggestion! I hope she loves the ring too considering how much time and money I spent on it :pray:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results