shape
carat
color
clarity

How tightly do you wear your rings?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha!.. :wavey: ..I'll ask Bruce to add a little wall/stopper? to all four corners so that the stone can't slide back and forth or cut a little groove on each side of the setting.

btw; how did you removed the stone from the settings?.. :confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405441327|3713680 said:
Gotcha!.. :wavey: ..I'll ask Bruce to add a little wall/stopper? to all four corners so that the stone can't slide back and forth or cut a little groove on each side of the setting.

btw; how did you removed the stone from the settings?.. :confused:
A jeweler removed the round and, frankly, the asscher slid out from bumping it.
Shocked the hell out of me.
Fortunately the stone was not harmed.
The asscher just stayed loose for a while till I decided to sell it to get an Octavia.

Now do you see why I'm so adamant about not getting that kind of setting with just a long groove for the girdle that reaches the edge of the ring?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1405269096|3712536 said:
Are you sure you want to go online to set that lovely stone? Skalet Family Jewelers in Old Town carries exotic metals and I'm sure they could make you the perfect setting for your Octavia. (They some beautiful pieces that they made in-house, and they also fabricate their own Mokume Gane if you're interested in going in that direction.)

We visited the store this afternoon and the jeweler said he can do a 18K wg custom tension setting for approx. $1800 but said he would needed to see the stone first before he can get started on the setting, so does $1800 sound fair for a tension setting?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steven Kretchmer
Niessing
Gelin Abaci
Boonerings.

I'd not trust anyone else to make a tension setting.
Searching for the cheapest is fine for something that doesn't matter much, but ...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1405823805|3716854 said:
Steven Kretchmer
Niessing
Gelin Abaci
Boonerings.

Searching for the cheapest is fine for something that doesn't matter much, but ...
Kenny
I will go look at Gelin Abaci but I think they'll only do PT settings, and if I decided to go with Boonerings then I will have to do it through the mail hoping for a perfect fit.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am a size 4, but my rings are 4 to 4.5.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GA sells 14 and 18 Kt gold too.
Why do you think they only do PT?
In fact, one of the big wigs there told me 14K is the strongest alloy they offer/
14K has less gold than 18K, and gold is NOT the metal that makes a tension setting strong.

I realize Boone does not have a network of participating jewelers, which is why I'd find cheap silver ring, of similar width, that fits and mail that in.
Not my idea; I forgot to suggest it, but I agree with it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steven Krechmer tension set rings - $4,500 - 5,500 for platinum: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/steven-kretchmer-jewelry/rings/06O1/

Gelin Abaci 14k gold - $3,900: http://eragem.com/gelin-abaci-tensi...V_n65NzuRIJUZUZ5MvAvtzmwKLLUL1AbC4aAuuZ8P8HAQ

Niessing 18k: $3400 euro for a small diamond: http://www.stonechatjewellers.ie/shop/flat-tension-set-ring

So yes, the price seems fair. Were they aware of how large the stone is and how wide the setting would likely need to be?

Steven Kretchmer
Niessing
Gelin Abaci
Boonerings.

DF, you've had a chance to see the quality of their work. I bought my diamond studs from them and they've done some repairs for me, but I haven't had them do any custom work or purchased any original pieces from them. What I can tell you, from when I've consulted them about repair projects or potential re-makes, is that both of their jewelers are very knowledgeable, and they seem to have a lot of integrity - they've steered me away from projects that would not work out in the way that I envisioned them, and explained why. I would just ask if they've made tension settings before - I'm sure they'll give you a straight answer.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1405826005|3716883 said:
Steven Krechmer tension set rings - $4,500 - 5,500 for platinum: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/steven-kretchmer-jewelry/rings/06O1/

Gelin Abaci 14k gold - $3,900: http://eragem.com/gelin-abaci-tensi...V_n65NzuRIJUZUZ5MvAvtzmwKLLUL1AbC4aAuuZ8P8HAQ

Niessing 18k: $3400 euro for a small diamond: http://www.stonechatjewellers.ie/shop/flat-tension-set-ring

So yes, the price seems fair. Were they aware of how large the stone is and how wide the setting would likely need to be?

Steven Kretchmer
Niessing
Gelin Abaci
Boonerings.

DF, you've had a chance to see the quality of their work. I bought my diamond studs from them and they've done some repairs for me, but I haven't had them do any custom work or purchased any original pieces from them. What I can tell you, from when I've consulted them about repair projects or potential re-makes, is that both of their jewelers are very knowledgeable, and they seem to have a lot of integrity - they've steered me away from projects that would not work out in the way that I envisioned them, and explained why. I would just ask if they've made tension settings before - I'm sure they'll give you a straight answer.
I spoke briefly with Todd who is one of their goldsmith in the store but since today is Sunday they were kind of busy, so the next time I'll go in on a weekday and talk to him in more detail about tension settings. I'd prefer a 14K wg alloy ring since 14K is stronger than 18K?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:think: ..How about a 14K +1 WG tension setting?

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
14K white gold from Gelin Abaci is an idea I recommend. I love my 14K white gold Gelin Abaci ring with .66 H VS1 diamond. The setting is hefty despite the airy look of the design. Really fine, high-quality make.

gelinabachi1__2_.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
6.25 (tight) to 7.25 (loose) I have a little bump-pad at the base of my finger that acts like a ring stopper. The base of my finger is actually a little smaller and goes in. I have never lost a ring from my finger. My s/o has a finger that tapers and does not get smaller at the base. It's like fitting a ring on an orange cone, one side will always be looser. Poor guy will need a tight ring.

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the larger end of the size fit spectrum. For one thing, most men are not used tight rings because we usually are not that concerned with them falling off. Most of the ones we have dont usually have high value associated with it.

Personally, I like mine a little loose, even more then what a jeweler might recommend. I like to take them off frequently if I am doing something with my hands that might get banged up a bit, or in some chemicals or something. I also dont sleep with them on either, it feels constricted to me.

I actually have a Boone Titanium Tension Ring. Not the same design as the one you are looking at but I can offer you some feed back. The fit was exactly what I ordered size wise. I used a professional ring measuring set to be sure. I also went to several stores to try on a similar size and thickness to see if my measure felt the same which they did. His rings tend to not just be wide, but also thick. Mainly because of the way the tension setting has to be thick enough at the top for the diamond not to touch your finger. So thick chunky rings tend to feel tighter then thin narrow one.

Shortly after that, I decided to go on a diet. I lost about 20 lbs. At first i didn't think that little amount would affect my hands but it did. For some reason, weight seems to work its way down from the outer extremities before it gets to the gut. :wall: Anyways, my fingers did get a little bit thinner and I could feel the difference with the ring. I am happy to report, the ring is not too loose and dose not spin around. It's just more comfortable. Before I lost the weight, if I ate a lot of salty food or it was hot out, or late in the day, my hand would slightly swell the the ring would get tight.

So bottom line, you can always add a little tape on something on the back side if you were to loose a lot of weight, but if you have ever had issues with weight, go for the larger size.

And I agree with Kenny, stick the pros when it comes to tension settings. Local jewelers dont really understand the subtle details of how Tension setting work. They always want to add solid bridge underneath which ruins the purity of the whole design. Plus they do not understand that the metal needs to be a lot harder then normal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results