shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed with my CADS! 5.06 ct rubellite platinum ring

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Working with ERD on a 5.06 ct rubellite ring in platinum. It's great working with them!

Today I received my second round of CAD's. Overall I am really satisfied, especially with the top view, the shank and the overall look.
Now the challenge is to get the profile right... I could really use some ideas and suggestions.

I am looking for a vintage look with filigree and no diamonds for the profile.

I will start with the first CAD's:

_20925.jpg

_20926.jpg

_20927.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help needed with my CADS! 5.06 ct rubellite platinum rin

Some more CAD's of the first round:

My main remark was to remove the diamonds and add filigree as requested.

_20928.jpg

_20929.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Round 2:
- diamonds were removed, which I like.
- the supporting bars were flattened (not on my request; liked it a bit better at first, but perhaps they are to big and distracting?
- the filigree I initially wanted now looks like a giant metal heavy 'element'. Hopefully they will be able to add filigree by hand, which I might learn soon. Do you have any ideas?

_20930.jpg

_20931.jpg

_20932.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock

Hi Acinom.

When I squint my eyes and look at the top of the shank (before the split), it reminds me of a butterfly. Do you see that? That part of the design is very delicate.

I see what you mean about the scroll work. It doesn't look bad, but it doesn't have the same delicacy of the details in the shank, so it seems a little incongruous. Maybe that's just the CAD.

What about somehow echoing the elongated marquise-shaped cut outs in the shank? Like a fan of petals? Or somehow repeating that butterfly shape?

I wish I had a picture for you!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

that's a pretty profile Gypsy posted. I had a similar one in the bezeled spinel ring I had..it looked like an open book or a dragonfly, depending.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like Gypsy's version as well, it gets rid of the double bars that I think don't quite work with the rest of the ring.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you starryeyed, gypsy, packrat and arkieb. You all have such sharp eyes; it's really helpful. This is my first CAD process.

I assumed the bars were needed for structural integrity but pethaps it's not if I understand you correctly? That would actually be great as the bars seems off in the design.

starryeyed: thank you for your suggestion!!! I did not look at the ring like that yet and it's very helpful!! PS really helps to slowly develop a sharper eye for designs and stones. But I still have a long long way to go :twisted:

gypsy!!! That's a great design!!! It's lovely and flowing and feminine. Would it be possible to cast it or should it be created by hand? I will suggest this design to Chris and see what he says.

Thanks packrat and arkieb. I totally agree that Gypsy's suggestion is a great one. Thanks for your support.
packrat: do you still have a photo of your ring and could you perhaps post it?
arkieb: what an excellent idea to post this challenge on PS. It's really helpful.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love this suggestion by Gypsy. Hopefully they will be able to create something similar (without the pave). Anxiously awaiting Chris' reply.
Will keep you updated.

Also, if you have other ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

_20944.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don't know if it is possible to cast it. Or if it is something they would add by hand later.

I do hope it works for you. I think it would suit this ring perfectly.

It's going to be stunning. I'm so excited for you.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1406881328|3724309 said:
I don't know if it is possible to cast it. Or if it is something they would add by hand later.

I do hope it works for you. I think it would suit this ring perfectly.

It's going to be stunning. I'm so excited for you.

You are so helpful Gypsy. Thank you :wavey:
I would indeed think that adding it later by hand gives a more natural an beautiful/delicate feel.
Cannot wait to see what Chris replies. It's a great suggestion and it would solve the challenges left in one go :lol:

Thank you for sharing my excitement for this ring.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chris is enthusiastic about the delicate design but will check whether there is a challenge regarding the strength of the ring. I will probably hear more after the weekend. Thanks again!!!

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock

Wow! How exciting. What a gorgeous project! Love your pieces Acinom!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sure! I don't have the ring anymore, but I still have some pics. It was done by Sally at Heart of Water on Etsy. One of the pictures is Sally's from a more recent ring she did w/the same profile.

100_28.jpg

100_29.jpg

il_154.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Acinom|1406919033|3724563 said:
Chris is enthusiastic about the delicate design but will check whether there is a challenge regarding the strength of the ring. I will probably hear more after the weekend. Thanks again!!!

Great news.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow :love: beautiful ring and gorgeous profile packrat. Thanks for posting the pics. I love the convex shape of the ring and the beautiful metalwork in the profile. Was this ring casted or handforged?

Thank you so much for the inspiration! :appl:

Thank you for your kind words sweet_blossom. I am really excited about this project. And equally excited to learn how the CAD/CAST process works. :read:

How sweet of you to come back gypsy :wavey:
I cannot wait to hear what the possibilities are. Fingers crossed :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can't help with ring design, just wanted to say I look forward to seeing the finished article, very much.

DK :))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks! It was by hand.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168|1406925534|3724618 said:
Can't help with ring design, just wanted to say I look forward to seeing the finished article, very much.

DK :))

Me too dk. Thanks for sharing my excitement. :D

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1406942561|3724735 said:
Thanks! It was by hand.

Ah, the possibilities of handforged rings are endless. I really love the work of this artist. Do you have more pieces from her?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Caysie van Bebber is a gifted designer for this type of setting. She has some gorgeous galleries. I know you are already working with ERD, but she is the perfect one to make this kind of ring for future reference. I don't recommend copying her galleries, but she has some pretty ones and better than any I have seen posted here thus far. The Sarafina gallery is a gorgeous example. The good thing about Caysie is she can get your vision and design the ring with your input. With some other vendors, it seems to me the customer is doing all the design work!

I am sure this will turn out to be a gorgeous ring!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the link packrat :wavey:

diamondseeker: thank you for chiming in! Caysie indeed creates gorgeous profiles: creatively distinctive and delicate. I indeed love the profile of the Serafina. She probably creates the profile elements by hand.
She is indeed on my shortlist for future projects. First I will put myself on a ban though.
I am sure that ERD will come up with a great solution. I fully trust them to deliver. I am really glad I was immediately mesmerized by the top view and shank. The profile is a challenge but will surely in the end be fine.

_20981.jpg

_20982.jpg

FireMonkey

Shiny_Rock

I'm looking forward to seeing the next iteration of the gallery. I love the look of swirls and scrollwork; your ring will be just gorgeous!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for your help and kind words!!!
And thank you Firemonkey for your encouragememt :wavey:

Just received the third round of CAD with revised gallery. I would love to hear your opinions.

_21066.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love it. Just girgeous. Clean. Elegant. :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1407271956|3726695 said:
I love it. Just girgeous. Clean. Elegant. :love:

Thanks Gypsy!!! I am so grateful to especily Arkie for convincing me to post my question here and especially you for bringing in this gallery design!!! I am so glad that we could get rid of the stems; I did not even think that would be feasible so I am glad where this out of the box thinking has led to :D

FireMonkey

Shiny_Rock

Yes! Open, airy, and (as Gypsy said) elegant. Beautiful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Are are welcome! I hope you always feel free to post on RT for help with any projects. It's fun for us to help and be a part of your journey!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results