shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA: Now we must be more careful with our keys

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KeyMe is a new service that will 3D 'print' and give you a replacement key from a photograph of a key. :nono:
Now criminals don't have to even touch your keys to get copies.

I've never valet-parked my car and this is a new reason to not start.

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/keyme-let-me-break-in/

SNIP
I copied my neighbor’s keys at a KeyMe kiosk about a mile from his house, inside a Rite Aid drugstore.
After logging in on a fingerprint scanner and choosing my neighbor’s keys from all the keys I’d uploaded, I watched on the machine’s screen as a grandfatherly cartoon figure with a white mustache and spectacles cut them.
Seconds later the keys dropped into a box at the front of the kiosk, still warm to the touch.

The next morning I let myself into my neighbor’s apartment and interrupted him reading a book about the German battleship Bismarck.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scary!

I don't know if this is actually being done around here yet, but I can see how the technology could be used to do just that :sick:

I've never valet parked and don't let my keys out of my sight. The exception is when we take the car to the dealership for service -- and they only get the car key.

All the more reason to have a monitored security system. (also not fool proof, but at least it is an added layer!)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess I'm liking my push-button start a bit more right now. (Even though I'm not actually that big a fan of it, honestly)

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is scary technology. I'm really paranoid about personal security and I've always kept my house key seperate from my car keys.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you buy a car they used to give you a set called "valet keys." Like, a spare set you weren't supposed to put your house (or other important) keys on. I've used valet a fair amount and I'm pretty sure those dudes have better things to do. Ok, they absconded with my ex-husband's pot once but who cares.

Lowe's now carries Schlage keyless doorlocks. You can open and close your home remotely from your smartphone now. What will they think of NEXT?!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1406749323|3723271 said:
Lowe's now carries Schlage keyless doorlocks. You can open and close your home remotely from your smartphone now. What will they think of NEXT?!

Which may be great until the phone gets lost or stolen. Or if the batteries dies when you are on your way home (my poor phone is a starving waif most of the time).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1406750508|3723290 said:
monarch64|1406749323|3723271 said:

Which may be great until the phone gets lost or stolen. Or if the batteries dies when you are on your way home (my poor phone is a starving waif most of the time).

Right. There's a keypad on the physical doorlock as well. There's even a space for an actual key. They think of everything! :dance: :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
A lot of people here are going to doorlocks with pads. We have one on the garage but our next door neighbor has them on all the doors to his house. Super idea.

monarch64 said:
I've used valet a fair amount and I'm pretty sure those dudes have better things to do. Ok, they absconded with my ex-husband's pot once but who cares.
:lol: :lol:

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Standard lock keys only provide low level security anyway. Your lock is not a problem for any professional. Even the most expensive and best mechanical locks on the market are only expected to provide at least 10 minutes delay to a professional (and most common locks less than 1 minute).

Low cost keypads are likely no better than that. Cell phones to unlock something - laughable if anyone thinks that is secure (all someone has to do is listen in and capture the codes transmitted - and then replay them).

The best of the high cost (and I do mean very costly) keypad locks are only expected to delay a professional at least 15 minutes - if they do not have any of the combination code. That is only if they do not force the door. Virtually all normal home and commercial building doors can be forced in less than 30 seconds (and most doors with a single high impact hit). Security doors may withstand normal force techniques; but still can be forced. You have to get to vault quality doors to end those threats. Vaults can of course be broken into too.

I am not going to worry about my car or house key. Nor am I going to put a low or even mid priced keypad on either.

Perry

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
perry|1406758547|3723370 said:
Standard lock keys only provide low level security anyway. Your lock is not a problem for any professional. Even the most expensive and best mechanical locks on the market are only expected to provide at least 10 minutes delay to a professional (and most common locks less than 1 minute).

Low cost keypads are likely no better than that. Cell phones to unlock something - laughable if anyone thinks that is secure (all someone has to do is listen in and capture the codes transmitted - and then replay them).

The best of the high cost (and I do mean very costly) keypad locks are only expected to delay a professional at least 15 minutes - if they do not have any of the combination code. That is only if they do not force the door. Virtually all normal home and commercial building doors can be forced in less than 30 seconds (and most doors with a single high impact hit). Security doors may withstand normal force techniques; but still can be forced. You have to get to vault quality doors to end those threats. Vaults can of course be broken into too.

I am not going to worry about my car or house key. Nor am I going to put a low or even mid priced keypad on either.

Perry

Exactly. Not only that, I have huge flipping windows all over my house. One rock, and someone could be in. Shoot, I could accidentally do that myself mowing the lawn.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
nothing is totally secure, but often you only have to more secure than your neighbor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results