shape
carat
color
clarity

blue paribas and zircons?

flowerchild31

Rough_Rock
I have some Pariba's...how can I tell if they're treated? I have read differing information, and it is a bit confusing. I have different shades (ice blue, greenish blue, etc) my main question is what is the value, and why would it be that value? I have taken it to a couple places but they don't want to give me too much information because I am trying to sell. If I ask for an appraisal they want me to pay. Which would be fine if it is valued very high. The man that sold them to me said they are worth a lot (but why wouldn't he say that, right?). The Paribas, almost all of them have inclusions...does that lower the value as well? Some inclusions have red copper strikes through them (I read that it could be from the needles to inject treatment, but also read that it might not be the case as well)
The blue zircons are a little different in color as well, and I read that most of them are treated, but not all are.

How can I tell if my gems have been treated? Places to go, and who should I trust? Also how much they're worth per/carat approximately. (I know the variation can range)
The guy who sold these said none of them are treated and they are all natural - best quality. He seemed trustworthy as he has lent some on credit until I sell, but who knows these days.

Thanks

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Can you post some photos of your stones? It would help if we could see what they look like. I'm not sure what you mean by "red strikes" -- do you mean like rutile inclusions? Or color zoning?

To know for sure if they are synthetic or genuine, treated or untreated, if you're in the States, AGL (American Gemological Laboratories) has the necessary equipment & is the best place to send them. An appraiser can't give you that info -- in fact, once you have an AGL report, then the appraiser comes in handy to estimate a value based on the lab's confimation of what the gem actually is. A Gem Brief will give you the type of stone and treatment & isn't expensive. The Prestige Report has more information, including country (and/or area) of origin.

They are only Paraibas if they were mined in Brazil & those mines are no longer producing. Paraiba-type tourmalines are found in Mozambique and Nigeria -- these are basically the same as the Brazilian, with very slight chemical difference. The Brazilian stones still command the highest price in the market, however.

Zircons are not wildly expensive stones; unless you bought them for very little, you're unlikely to make your fortune on them. It's very difficult to score a big profit on colored gems, especially without knowing the subject deeply. You would be selling on the wholesale market. My question about your supplier would be why would he sell them to you at a low price when he could sell them himself for more? Gems are a field fraught with complications & even fakery -- it's a real Buyer Beware area. Good luck, though!

flowerchild31

Rough_Rock
I am trying to post pictures, every time I try to add an attachment it doesn't finish loading onto site. But everything else loads quickly, so not sure why.

flowerchild31

Rough_Rock
The guy said he wants to do business together because I have connections to diamonds and he would like to get into that market. He worked with his friend on the Brazil mine in Pariba so he says he has the very few remaining real paraiba stones. The red lines are in the stone itself - not sure how to describe it other then that (wish my pictures would post!) I bought the blue zircon for 200/carat, so is that too much?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always assume heat treatment on paraibas, and as for other indicolites, treatment like irradiation and heat, cannot be detected. Know your source if you wish to have an untreated stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paraibas are sometimes sold with resin enhancement or oiling to improve clarity but without proper disclosure. The best quality Paraiba will glow strongly as though radioactive and be eye clean (cannot see inclusions or copper needles with the naked eye).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results