shape
carat
color
clarity

New (to me) 1920s Engagement Ring

A_Well_Spoken_Cat

Rough_Rock
Hello, vintage/antique lovers!

I just received my engagement ring today after lots of searching and I'd love to learn more about it. It's this late Edwardian/early Art Deco ring: http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-6386

It has design elements from both eras, so it could possibly be from the 1910s, and is made of platinum with petite diamonds. The item description states the center stone is an OEC but the gemstone information describes it as an OMC. The salesperson also called it an OMC. Could someone clarify which it is? It seems round for an OMC but I'm no expert.

I'm absolutely smitten. I really wanted something with intricate metalwork and this was just right. But I'm not sure how to describe the style of this ring. It doesn't really look like a cluster ring, and I haven't seen many rings that resemble this. Does this type of ring have a name?

Thank you!

2014-07-09_09.jpg

2014-07-09_10.jpg

2014-07-09_0.jpg

Mnmuffin

Rough_Rock
Really,gorgeous! I love vintage rings, congratulations!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is stunning!!!

kefira

Shiny_Rock
It's beautiful! I love fancy metalwork, too. It might be considered a dinner ring, and as far as the cut, it looks like an early OEC, or late OMC? Either way, it looks great on you. Congrats!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really beautiful ring. But I also love your mirror underneath it in your first picture!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this ring. It is gorgeous! :love: and beautiful on you. Wear in health and happiness. :appl:

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on finding such a lovely e-ring! :appl:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi Cat :)

I LOVE this ring. Wow. My lay-person's guess would place the cut as an old european cut because it is round, but with major charisma due to a more rustic cut. An old mine cut usually has the squared and slightly wonky corners that followed the original crystal's shape (like mine in my avatar).

Your faceting (but not shape) is more like mine than a highly precise facet structure sometimes seen in more modern european cuts. In that, yours does remind me of an older mine cut...and has that charm factor that goes with it! Don't you wish they could talk?

I am still learning, so please take my assessment with a grain of salt.

The deco setting style is wonderful. It sets off the lovely old diamond perfectly! Congrats on such a wonderful ring!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely. Glad it has found a loving home! :love:

A_Well_Spoken_Cat

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the kind words and well wishes, everyone! I've become quite enamored with vintage and antique jewelry and am thrilled to be able to wear a little piece of art every day.

kefira said:
It's beautiful! I love fancy metalwork, too. It might be considered a dinner ring, and as far as the cut, it looks like an early OEC, or late OMC? Either way, it looks great on you. Congrats!

moneymeister said:
Hi Cat :)

I LOVE this ring. Wow. My lay-person's guess would place the cut as an old european cut because it is round, but with major charisma due to a more rustic cut. An old mine cut usually has the squared and slightly wonky corners that followed the original crystal's shape (like mine in my avatar).

Your faceting (but not shape) is more like mine than a highly precise facet structure sometimes seen in more modern european cuts. In that, yours does remind me of an older mine cut...and has that charm factor that goes with it! Don't you wish they could talk?

I am still learning, so please take my assessment with a grain of salt.

The deco setting style is wonderful. It sets off the lovely old diamond perfectly! Congrats on such a wonderful ring!

I can see traits of both OMC and OEC, too! I think despite the roundish shape of the stone, the high crown and large culet are more characteristic of an OMC, but it's not nearly as cushion shaped as other OMC stones I've seen. Moneymeister, your diamond is so lovely; I find that slight "wonkiness" charming, too.

A_Well_Spoken_Cat

Rough_Rock
lambskin|1405191426|3712130 said:
Really beautiful ring. But I also love your mirror underneath it in your first picture!
I thank my mom for finding that mirror. She got it secondhand or salvaged it from somewhere. 8)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring & stone! It is possible that it was from an in-between stage. I recently acquired one from JbG that was described by David Atlas as "transitional old mine to old European cut round ...". Mine also exhibits some mine cut facet qualities along with some old euro qualities, and it is fairly round vs cushiony shaped. This is not to be confused with those known as "transitionals" or "trannies". Those came after the OECs.

Picture of mine (from Grace, because it is a better pic than mine can show) for reference:

_20833.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh :love: :love: :love: that stone. How adorable. JoCoJenn, that makes sense! Never heard of a mine to European transitional stone, but it makes sense.

Cat, thanks so much :)

JoCoJenn|1406715984|3722991 said:
Pretty ring & stone! It is possible that it was from an in-between stage. I recently acquired one from JbG that was described by David Atlas as "transitional old mine to old European cut round ...". Mine also exhibits some mine cut facet qualities along with some old euro qualities, and it is fairly round vs cushiony shaped. This is not to be confused with those known as "transitionals" or "trannies". Those came after the OECs.

Picture of mine (from Grace, because it is a better pic than mine can show) for reference:

A_Well_Spoken_Cat

Rough_Rock
JoCoJenn|1406715984|3722991 said:

Wow, look at that fire; that's stunning!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results