shape
carat
color
clarity

OsteoNecrosis of the Jaw (ONJ)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
This Wednesday, SO is having surgery for ONJ. She has many sites in her mouth with the jaw bone exposed and no flesh to cover it. Parts of the bone are dead, and so are host to bacterial infection. That kills more bone, and leaves her swollen (sometimes dramatically), in pain and with pus drainage. She will lose 4 molars. The surgeon is hopeful that he will not have to remove a complete section of bone that would requite a metal plate be screwed in to bridge the jaw. He says he will likely only be taking off levels and layers, thinning the bone but leaving it intact. The procedures are being done at NYU Langone. After she is all healed they will make her a denture to replace the lost teeth.

The condition was caused by Xgeva, a drug she has been given monthly, nearly three years now. It is used to rebuild bone by blocking the resorptive turnover that is a natural process of the body taking itself apart and replacing older cells with newer. It is given in lower doses as a preventative for osteoporosis. In higher doses, like hers, it is used to rebuild bones that have been damaged by the metastasized breast cancer; in her case all of her vertebrae and some ribs. As she in currently in a study of fulvestrant with everolimus, the surgeon has asked the trial sponsor to give her a holiday from the everolimus, which is an mTOR inhibitor, and so interferes with cellular generation, which would also inhibit healing.

I know there has been a lot of dust going around lately for lots of worthy PSers, but If there is any still out there we could sure use a little.

PSA: Don't ever put off taking care of your health!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
That's the beautiful thing about magic PS dust, there's an endless supply! I hope everything goes well and she heals up quickly. :wavey:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many prayers for her, VL! I hope every thing goes well. It sounds scary. Much dust, and much prayer!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truckloads of healing dust and positive thoughts being sent to your SO Vapidlapid! So sorry to hear about this, your SO is going through a lot, she is lucky to have you by her side. I will keep both of you in my thoughts, and I hope everything goes smoothly and she recovers from this procedure as quickly as possible.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We would always have dust for you and your partner, VL! Tons of dust to you both- and good thoughts, and healing energy, and strong prayers...

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Lots and lots of dust coming to you and your SO VL.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Sending you dust and good wishes!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL, I'm so sorry to hear your SO is going thru this. Sending lots of healing dust your way. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers and am wishing her a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on how you both are doing in the coming weeks. Hugs

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I am sending lots of dust!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Dust from down under.
Hope that she isn't in too much pain.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DUST!, DUST!, DUST! on its way!.. :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear VL- I will be thinking of your SO. I am so sorry that she has gone through such an ordeal and still has such an ordeal ahead of her. I am glad that she has you in her life, however. Having a partner through such travails makes a huge difference. There is plenty of dust here to spare. And I will be praying for her as well.

Big hugs,
Deb :wavey:

_20766.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Vapid, I am sending you and your SO bucket loads of PS healing dust. I hope everything goes smoothly and that she has the most successful of outcomes!!! I will be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers and sending many hugs your way.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
VL, great CHUNKS of dust for you & SO from here! I wish I had some magic words to fix things up -- how come they desert you just when you need them? Gosh, you're a trooper. Thoughts, prayers, and all appendages crossed that everything works out beautifully for you both.

--- Laurie

JanesJewels

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry that your SO had this side effect. I know that drug, and I'm just so sorry she has to have surgery.

DUST DUST DUST! Mountains of dust xxxxxx

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be praying for her. That's not a great diagnosis ...

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
JaneSmith|1406514130|3721731 said:
That's the beautiful thing about magic PS dust, there's an endless supply! I hope everything goes well and she heals up quickly. :wavey:
+1 :pray: hope that the surgery goes well!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sending lots more dust for the surgery tomorrow and hoping she receives the best possible outcome. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Condolences for your SO's loss of good health. She and you have been through so much, it's impossible to imagine the feelings you must be having right now.
Wishing her all the best in this procedure and praying that all goes well with better times ahead!

Adding powerfully strong healing-vibe fairy dust to the growing pile...
fairydust.jpg
[...and Plenty more where this came from : ) ]

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you and your SO.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lord please bring healing to VL's SO, she is a tower of strength and one of your most beautiful creations. Give them both hope and healing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry! That's scary. MUCH DUST TO YOU BOTH!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one rough situation, I'm sorry you two are dealing with this. Mountains of dust to you both and also your oromaxillary surgeon.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your dust and your thoughts. We are anxious, but prepared.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Even though it seems as if I've given all the dust in inventory, when I looked just now, the amount had doubled before any gifting had begun. It's miraculous!!! A never ending supply of PS dust and I'm sending my entire inventory to you VL as ONJ sounds like a horrible condition. :(( to say nothing of the initial breast cancer which had mets to the bones.

I too have breast cancer, but over two and a half years, there are no mets. I was told by the oncologist that the bones are one of the usual sites that b/c travels to. Damn Cancer!!!!

Prayers and more borrowed PS dust coming your SO's way.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dust, warm thoughts and hugs to you both.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sending lots of dust to the two of you. I hope the surgery and recovery go as smoothly as possible.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
dust
Dust
DUST
dust
Dust
DUST
dust
Dust
DUST
dust
Dust
DUST
sending you both lots and lots of dust!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1406675181|3722790 said:
Thank you all for your dust and your thoughts. We are anxious, but prepared.

...and we are here. We will be here when you return. "Being there" for people is sometimes all you can do. I'm glad your SO has you, VL.

Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results