• AGS

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Either lab depending on the price.

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
assuming that the 4Cs are equal on a MRB.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have more respect for AGS.

Shockingly, GIA includes weight-retaining steep deeps in their Excellent cut grade.
This makes the industry more profitable while the consumer is deceived into thinking all diamonds that GIA graded Excellent-Cut are the the best cut. :nono:

AGS's top cut grade is tighter.
That's why I see GIA as protecting the industry's interests, but I see AGS as protecting the consumer.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DF- if the question is which lab do you prefer for an Ideal Cut RBC it would be different for me.
AGSL is a great lab, no question- but GIA far surpasses AGSL in utility.
A lot of what we submit is Fancy Colored diamonds.
When it comes to Fancy Shapes, there seems to be only one reason to use AGSL- that being stones which are graded for Ideal Light Performance.

Speaking as someone who submits quite a few diamonds, other than those two very small segments of the diamond business- it's hard to find a reason to use AGSL.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
With a Modern Round Brilliant non-fancy color either is fine with me as long as other information is available.
AGS is a lot safer if all you have is the grading report and looking for a well cut diamond.

With fancy colored diamonds there really isn't a choice other than GIA.

With fancy cut diamonds we have found AGS to be more consistent in recent times than GIA particularly on stones that are outside of the norm that the lab usually gets like Octavia.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Karl,
When you say AGS is "more consistent", specially how?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1406664635|3722691 said:
Hi Karl,
When you say AGS is "more consistent", specially how?
similar stones getting similar grades.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you speaking of color and clarity grades?
Unfortunately we all know no lab is perfect- but even still, GIA is considered more consistent on color clarity for fancy shapes compared to AGSL

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1406664482|3722690 said:
With a Modern Round Brilliant non-fancy color either is fine with me as long as other information is available.AGS is a lot safer if all you have is the grading report and looking for a well cut diamond.

With fancy colored diamonds there really isn't a choice other than GIA.

With fancy cut diamonds we have found AGS to be more consistent in recent times than GIA particularly on stones that are outside of the norm that the lab usually gets like Octavia.
+1

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted AGS and that is only because of my limited personal experience. I've had 3 AGS and one GIA XXX (and each time checked out several other diamonds at time of purchase) and I found the GIA did not perform as well as the AGS.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA. They are more widely recognized, so if I had to sell to a non-PS person, they would be much more likely to know the name over AGS. Also, I think GIA is more strict on color grading.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
16 to 6 for AGS lab... :confused: where are the GIA fans hiding ? I thought GIA would out number AGS 2 to 1

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's not safe for GIA fans here:)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The absolutely perfect H&A stone I had was GIA graded H VS1. It had all the images and helium scan to prove it (back when I actually looked at those) . That cutter sent his stones to GIA. I doubt you'd find a better cut stone regardless of the grading report. But when it came time to sell that stone, we sent it to AGS, and it came back as G VS1. So I love AGS as a seller and prefer GIA as a buyer.

I currently own 3 AGS graded stones and 1 GIA graded stone (not all mrb's). I buy the diamonds, not the paper.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1406766998|3723446 said:
The absolutely perfect H&A stone I had was GIA graded H VS1. It had all the images and helium scan to prove it (back when I actually looked at those) . That cutter sent his stones to GIA. I doubt you'd find a better cut stone regardless of the grading report. But when it came time to sell that stone, we sent it to AGS, and it came back as G VS1. So I love AGS as a seller and prefer GIA as a buyer.

I currently own 3 AGS graded stones and 1 GIA graded stone (not all mrb's). I buy the diamonds, not the paper.
Yea, I studied the helium scan before I decided to purchase a 3.34ct GIA H&A stone from GOG in 2005. I doubt I will ever see another stone cut as tightly as this 3.34ct stone.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I will be controversial and say AGS in a heartbeat. The category of excellent in cut from GIA is too wide. As stated above, so many steep/deep cuts are getting Excellent from GIA. AGS has much tighter specs for Ideal 0 grades.

Big controversy among long-time diamond wholesalers--the very high percentage of incorrect grading (up to two grades off) from GIA stones that were graded in India. It leaves the seller with great liability. You don't know at which GIA lab your diamond was graded....

Things to think about....

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1406762714|3723404 said:
16 to 6 for AGS lab... :confused: where are the GIA fans hiding ? I thought GIA would out number AGS 2 to 1
It is a result of the value that people in this particular community place on cut quality. The AGS light performance grading system is much more exacting and reliable. And unlike GIA they also cut grade princess and some other fancy cuts. Consumers who do a little research online (which is most of them these days) have their awareness raised about the importance of cut quality, and many find themselves here.

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1406663114|3722676 said:
DF- if the question is which lab do you prefer for an Ideal Cut RBC it would be different for me.
AGSL is a great lab, no question- but GIA far surpasses AGSL in utility.
A lot of what we submit is Fancy Colored diamonds.
When it comes to Fancy Shapes, there seems to be only one reason to use AGSL- that being stones which are graded for Ideal Light Performance.

Speaking as someone who submits quite a few diamonds, other than those two very small segments of the diamond business- it's hard to find a reason to use AGSL.

I agree around here much easier to sell a diamond with GIA paper. The majority hasn't even heard of AGSL.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My last 4 MRB purchases were graded by AGSL.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had two AGS0 stones and one GIA graded stone. The AGS stones were far superior - not because of the lab grading but because of the stones themselves - but I prefer AGS for their performance grading. I'm guessing that in any market that I might sell or trade this current stone AGS would be well recognized.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I said both depending upon price, doesn't bother me. Despite dissent from the experts I think GIA is more consistent/or stricter with colour grading and AGS is more consistent/or stricter with cut grading.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I pick GIA because it is internationally recognized and accepted. My belief based on very limited sampling is that GIA is more consistent with color/clarity. I do not purchase stones strictly based on report cut grade so the stricter cut measures on a AGS report is not a driving factor.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CharmyPoo|1406852906|3724121 said:
I pick GIA because it is internationally recognized and accepted.
Totally agree.

My belief based on very limited sampling is that GIA is more consistent with color/clarity.
Totally disagree ;-)

I do not purchase stones strictly based on report cut grade so the stricter cut measures on a AGS report is not a driving factor.
Agree again.

From a seller's perspective:

To sell a diamond on the internet: AGSL
To sell a diamond outside the USA: GIA
To sell a diamond in a USA showroom: Either ... if the salespeople have proper education.

By the way, all scenarios include the same diamond. The "wrapper" (GIA or AGSL) is chosen to satisfy the target-market.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results