shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a 2 carat radiant for engagement!

Razor488

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

Thank you in advance for the help.

I visited a local jewelry store in search of a 2 carat radiant. He advised me that the best value for a radiant cut is I/H color and SI1 as radiant can get away with a lesser rating. He said he is getting a 2.01 HSI1 in that will be $15,750.

I am looking on blue Nile and I am finding many diamonds that are similar in price but more highly rated. For example I found one that was under $15k that was 2.01, and GVS1. The polish and symmetry were very good or excellent I can't recall. (Sorry I'm typing this on my phone).

Is there a reason why the diamonds on blue Nile seem to be so much cheaper? Both of these stones are GIA.

Razor488

Rough_Rock
The one on blue Nile was under $15k, 2.04 HVS1. Polish and symmetry were very good and there is feint fluorescence.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you post your budget, we'll try to help you find something nice. Blue Nile won't work for this, you need pictures which Blue Nile is more miss than hit. Square or rectangle?

Razor488

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for something in the $12k-$16k range in 2carat that is closer to square than rectangular.

So is it not reasonable just to search/buy a diamond just based on the GIA certificate?

Thanks!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are buying a radiant. FOR RADIANTS you aren't going to find ideal specs. There are too many facet patterns and variations for the kind of uniformity that you could find if you were buying a princess or a round. If you were buying either of the GIA lab report would help. But not radiants.

With a radiant, or an EC, or an oval, or a marquise or ANY OTHER cut-- the numbers aren't going to tell you squat except whether the stone is deep or shallow. And you know what? In those shapes there are lovely examples of over deep and over shallow stones being gorgeous. There are ranges that we can recommend for some shapes and some vague guidelines (like table smaller than depth, and crown height over 10%) but a lab report isn't going to list crown height and table over depth doesn't apply to stones as shallow as the one you are considering.

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king. With fancies though (anything other than a round brilliant), that is a little complicated. But no other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut.

There really is no other way to determine if you have a good Radiant cut is to see images of the stones, and then you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.

That's what an ASET image does. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance Please read.
And ASET shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return That is why you won't see us recommending vendors like Blue Nile, as they do not provide images or ASET images for their diamonds. James Allen and Good Old Gold do this. So do Brian Gavin, B2C and Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds. ERD does too, for stones they source for you.

Please read this thread for examples of ASETs of radiants that are above average, acceptable, and in some cases excellent:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-find-a-good-radiant-cut-diamond-online.203665/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-find-a-good-radiant-cut-diamond-online.203665/[/URL]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selection is slim for good stones in your price range. But I did find two.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5116459-2.02-carat-Radiant-diamond-H-color-SI1-clarity.aspx Has a good ASET, lovely faceting, and is the square shape you want. Looks like it would be completely eyeclean and is very budget friendly. The spread is nice at over 7mm square. You could buy this one right now, all the information is posted.

Then there is this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/2.03-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-326058 Has a lot of potential to ASET out well. YOU WOULD HAVE TO ASK IF IT IS EYECLEAN, because it might not be. IF IT IS, you would put it on hold and ask for an ASET. It will take 3 business days. They will ask you to pick three stones. Tell them you only want the one ASET. You only get 3 per purchase and there aren't two other stones on JA that are worth getting an ASET of with your specs. If the ASET comes back good, you would then buy it.

Razor488

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the help! Is it common to ask for the ASET from the jeweler on the stone he is showing me?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. Most jewelers will either tell you it's all bumpkiss or that you don't need it, or not have any idea what one is. You can buy one. I have one of my own. It's 50 bucks. And if you are shopping in person it's helpful. Here's how you use one. http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_ASET_scope.asp

And this is where you buy one: http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_order.asp

And ASET is just a tool. It will show you where the light your diamond is reflecting is coming from.

If you are buying online it's a very helpful tool.

Razor488

Rough_Rock
Is the aset the only way I can determine cut quality? Or is there another way I can verify what the jeweler is telling me when I go look at the stone?

Razor488

Rough_Rock
The Jeweler just called me to set up a time for me to come in and check out the stone. He said that color quality exceeds the rating of H etc... I pressed him on how he determines the quality of the cut and his answer revolves around personal experience etc... He seems to be big on the depth percentage, saying that if the depth is greater than 65% you are paying for a lot of diamond not visible.

I also asked him for the GIA certificate and he said that he didn't have it but would ask for a copy on Tuesday when the place he got the diamond from opens... Is this a red flag that he doesn't have the GIA?? He seems very legit but not sure why he doesn't have it already.

I also asked him if he knew what an ASET was and he did not.

I am not sure how to compare the 2 carat diamond linked in this thread, and the one this jeweler is showing me!!

This diamond is HSI1 with 1:17:1 dimensions, and 62% depth. $15,750.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, very exciting stuff searching for a diamond!

I love Radiants and have one myself. It was a difficult task finding one I liked. I looked at MANY, can't recall now how many, but to the point I was actually sick of diamonds (not permanently lol).

You must see them with your own eyes. Yes, dont buy a super deep one that faces up small so you can eliminate a bit by numbers. Totally impossible to judge by numbers and even photos.

Many people here prefer big chunky facets but I love the "endless pool of sparkle" and dazzling look of the small facets. I get compliments on my stone all the time for how much it sparkles. (I keep it very clean- very important!)

Anyway, good luck with your search, looking forward to seeing what you find. I ultimately had success with the Original Radiant Cut branded radiant, the brand of the radiant's inventor Henry Grossbard. In general the ORCs I saw were superior to the others. That was just my experience though. I'm sure there are many nice non branded ones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Radiants are cut deep because they need it for performance. Anything over 70 is over-deep. But 65% is an unrealistic cut off that puts spread ahead of performance. Performance is what you should be shopping for if you want the brightest sparkliest diamond out there.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the two stones that Gypsy picked out I like the first as the James Allen had a few spots near the center. But again, those may not be visible to the eye. I prefer the squarish radiants than the rectangle. I like the bigger facet pattern. Whenever I see the rectangle from afar I always expect to see an EC rather than the crushed ice look. But it is my preference and your GF's may differ.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results