shape
carat
color
clarity

Overpriced ring?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a cool looking ring-very unique setting. But the diamonds don't look very good.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love their photography, so pretty! But yes, I think it's very overpriced. I've been to their store in Edinburgh and thought the same thing. For what it's worth, I saw what appeared to a very similar sapphire ring in their store for over £1000 and a similar one in another online Etsy store for about £400 if I remember rightly. I think that's what shocked me and made me realise how expensive they were! It's hard with antiques because you're often not comparing like with like but that one was so close it made me see their prices with new eyes.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Yes, its extremely overpriced ( pretty though ) there is quite a few of these rings on the market at the moment and they do vary massively in price depending on the seller. IMHO I wouldn't ask any more than £150 for that ring, simply not worth any more. My experience with jewellers here in the UK is not a good 1, sooooo greedy. I have just purchased 1 of these style rings for a very good price and it will be with me by wed/thur, I will post pictures and details for you to get an idea of just what you can get for your money if you do a bit of trawling. By the way, I NEVER buy from the high street because of their ridiculous mark up :shifty:

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
That's exactly what I thought, but thankyou for your advice.

I liked the detailing but thought that again it is overpriced for what it is. I've got some Art Deco bargains recently but purely down to luck!

That's so interesting about the price difference!

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi again Natts, the ring hasn't arrived yet but I picked this 1 up on Monday because the price was right and condition is excellent. The diamonds have been tested but the sapphires aren't, my pictures are pretty poor but it is in an excellent condition with no dings or damage whatsoever. It has full hallmarks for Chester 1905. The stones aren't very big and probably only weigh in at ( 0.06 tcw )diamond, ( 0.25-0.30 tcw ) Sapphire, the style is more everyday wear than the pretty one you posted but still a nice example of the period. I paid between £100 & £150 for it, which is about right in my book :shhh:

img_5122.jpg

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
Wow what a buy, it's lovely!

Don't blame you snapping it up!

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi Nattshants, just a couple more rings for you to look at as promised. the 1st is a diamond & sapphire 5stone that is very feminine and is dated Chester 1902, the 2nd is a diamond 5 stone also very feminine in its design dated Birmingham 1920, both rings purchased at a fraction of the asking price from a high st shop. I also snagged an amazing but modern emerald ring with 2 small side diamonds ( not big but look to be light fancy pink !!! ) I will post under SMTB for that ring, very nice. I hope you like the examples Natts, just a snapshot of what is available if you shop around a little. Its a little hobby I have at the moment, not a business in any way as most of my pieces end up with family or friends as gifts or non profit sales. I got tired of people close to me being taken for a ride just because they DIDNT know how the jewellery industry worked ( clueless basically ) now they get lovely items for a fraction of what they would pay elsewhere :shhh: I do list the odd ring on E-bay but its not a shop ( this is NOT a sales pitch by the way ) I take more pleasure from the joy of the recipient than I do from any potential profit, the exact opposite of a jeweller :angel:

img_5130.jpg

img_5131.jpg

img_5136.jpg

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
By the way Natt, whatever you paid for that sapphire ring in your other thread, it was worth every penny :drool: :drool: :drool: You are obviously very good at finding the high end items, I will stick to the low end. Every time I look at the ring it reminds me of 4 alien eyes ( I hope you get the analogy ) staring back at me, it has an extremely unusual but very fascinating and mesmerising look . Definitely something you should never sell as I doubt you will see similar again. Great buy :clap: :clap: :clap:

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Going back to the original question of the ring being overpriced, they are asking £550. have a look at the following pictures and tell me what you think they would ask for this set of period pieces in their shop. My guess is around £1500-£1700 for the combined lot. Yes they have overheads etc etc but why do they have to be so greedy ? If I took them in to sell to the shop they would only offer me scrap gold price and give the line " we need to remove the stones because they're not worth anything " Then put them up for sale a few weeks later at a ridiculously inflated price :angryfire: Here is the set of rings, All 4 rings purchased for a combined price less than the price of their 1 ring !!!

img_5187.jpg

img_0834.jpg

img_5188.jpg

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
Wow that's amazing! All of those- that's great & they're so pretty!! I could look at them all day, love old rings. My favourite is the second one in, I don't know why...just like it.

Thankyou for your kind words... I don't have a huge amount of money from my job nursing , the mortgage & our children come first but I say if I buy something, something goes! Maybe I appreciate it more that way to? Finding them I think so much fun!

The sapphire one I found while about to have my daughter, so will remind me of that time (she's 4 weeks) -Anna Florence (in her vintage silver cross)

_20405.jpg

_20406.jpg

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
AAAAAAH bless. I'm so pleased to see you using an old style pram Natt, my mother swears by them and all of my sisters have used them !!! I have started to see a few more in town as well recently, but being a nurse you would know pointing your child directly at an exhaust pipe is not a good thing plus eye contact and safety is also a positive. They do last forever those prams which also helps financially. Sorry if I havnt mentioned beautiful little Anna but I'm male and have no children so it would be wrong of me to pretend otherwise, I come from a very large family and I think my paternal instinct was destroyed at a young age ( 11 of us, I was youngest ) I hope she makes you smile everyday Natt and that ring is a lovely memento of the time. Back to the rings Natt, if the 1 you like is the wide saph & dia band then you could be in luck if its the right size. Its currently on the baY. I would happily let you have any of them for cost, you know they didn't cost the earth anyway. I hope this isn't against PS rules in any way, I would rather a fellow ps'er get a piece they like at the best price possible without profit being involved, the exact opposite of greedy jewellers. I know you work hard for your money Natt, having been hospitalised several times in my life due to accidents/injuries I have a lot of respect for nurses :angel: :angel: Keep up the good work & keep finding those beautiful antique rings.

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
Sorry just saw this... It's very kind of you to offer but I have spent enough this year on pretty shiny things!

Thankyou though for thinking of me.

Kind regards , Natts

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Morning Natt, Hope you and the little 1 are well. The bottom 3 including the 1 you liked went the next day, so I am kinda glad you missed the offer. They don't sit around for long nowadays, which is a good thing as it allows me to go hunting more often :D I picked this up last week, another bargain 1960's piece 1/2 ct diamonds & 0.90 Amethyst in 18ct gold, excellent condition. The picture frame style isn't 1 you see that often anymore so I snapped it up. How could I leave it behind for £200 !!!

img_5284.jpg

img_5285.jpg

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
Beautiful... Please post more photos though! Can you photograph underneath & the setting on the side? Look at that colour!!

It's gorgeous!

All good here thankyou.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi again, couple of pictures of the basket and underneath for you

img_0852.jpg

img_0853.jpg

img_0854.jpg

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
Lovely details...looks like a nice dress ring.

I sold my sapphire ring. I couldn't wear my wedding ring with it.

It would mean curving my wedding ring round it to fit. don't like not wearing my wedding ring & due to low profile setting it wouldn't sit right. It's gone onto someone new whom will treasure it, bought a OEC solitaire that arrives tomorrow & will upload pics when get chance.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I cant believe that you have sold the ALIEN ring, I'm absolutely gutted :shock: please have a word with the new owner that if the day ever comes, there is a ps'er who would love to own it. Looking forward to seeing your new purchase, if it was worth trading in the sapphire ring for then it must be nice !!!

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
It's against rules to list items for sale... Fact I couldn't wear the ring with my wedding ring meant it defeated the object for me.

This is my new baby, a Rose cut I believe... It's perfect, I'm re shanking it to platunum & the top is platinum. I'm not selling this beauty, it's more me.

_20864.jpg

_20865.jpg

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Very nice Natt, much more suitable for everyday wear. The Alien ring & your e-bay purchase certainly make a statement but how often could you have worn them ? Nice catch :clap:

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
My ebay purchase I've worn a lot, it's all set so there is no claws to catch- love it. Had a lot of compliments wearing the Art Deco one.

Thanks- love the central diamond!

Nattshants84

Rough_Rock
P.S didn't sell the Art Deco one... Could never part with that one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results