shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Band-Thoughts on gap?

Truthstar

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

So we(fiance and I) are in the process of picking wedding bands. Her e-ring is custom and as it turns out, there is a gap between the e-wedding and band she selected. She wants to go with an alternating diamond/sapphire band or just a standard white gold band. Any thoughts on this band type-given the gap is it best to go with just a gold band with a lower profile? Other options? Thanks

gap.jpg

rebski

Rough_Rock
I personally prefer not having a gap between my rings, but I know that some people prefer to have a gap. I think it really depends on what she likes best. You could consider getting a spacer if you think a low-profile plain band would fit flush against the engagement ring. The spacer could also help protect the rings from one another (not sure whether this is a concern with these particular rings because I can't see them that well).

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Rebski - what is a spacer? I've never come across this before

I'm in the UK and over here I think from my experience I'd say our engagement rings seem to sit much lower than ones made in the US for example. It's so difficult to *not* have a gap, and those who don't want one end up with some weird curved band to fit the shape.. fine if you always wear them together but I often wear my band alone for work purposes or when it gets so hot and my fingers get puffy- I can't stand wearing jewellery in the heat! Anyways I digress. Some people are fussed about it -me- others don't care. I don't think it necessarily looks better either way for the most part, I think a gap is common..but it matters if she likes it. For me it drives me crackers... I'd love to know what this spacer thing is though!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is where her personal preference is important. For example I love a gap between the 2 rings because it keeps the rings separate and distinct as opposed to looking like one big blob of a ring if that makes sense. But that is just my personal preference.

So get her input and see which she prefers and the best way to do that is to have her try on both types. With and without a gap because I will say I always thought I preferred no gap and had my first ER and WB made without any gap and then when I was on my final set I realized I prefer the gap as each ring is highlighted that way. My final ER and WB have a sweet little gap making each ring stand out if that makes sense. And it also says married to me as you can see there are 2 rings. My thoughts.

Good luck and congratulations!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
A spacer is a rather narrow stacker ring that will fill in the gap -- in this case, a low-enough-profile one that will fit under her e-ring. For me, the rings in your photo look great. By being separate, each one stands on its own & it makes a lovely look -- she has beautiful hands. Ahem, it doesn't really matter whether you like it or not -- since she will be wearing them 24/7, what she wants counts over your opinion. Besides, in a short time you will not notice it: we get used to something we see constantly. My husband no longer even notices if I'm wearing my rings, or if I have a new one on. Both are gorgeous rings -- great job!

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
By being separate, each one stands on its own & it makes a lovely look -- she has beautiful hands.

It's true. I've got hand (and polish!) Envy right now haha.

Fwiw even though I don't like to have a gap in my rings- I think she wears both her ering and that band really well. Great choice

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't like a gap, wear a very thin metal band as spacer between the e-ring and w-ring. The spacer also helps limit/prevent the two rings from rubbing each other, where there is a risk of the diamond wearing down the prongs on the other ring, depending on how they are set/designed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results