shape
carat
color
clarity

resizing rings a few times?

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Aside from being an expensive thing to do (especially Inc rhodium plating! ) can I ask some advice?

My ring size varies alot, I have very squidgy fingers and so always have a large ring rize- for example I'm currently wearing a Q 1/2 which is super comfortable (i could probably go down a half a size or 1... but I cannot stand the feeling of anything remotely snug and my fingers swell easily with warmth)

However, only three years ago I was wearing a size N. Obviously I've had to have my rings adjusted to fit now, but I know that once we've had our next babe, my ring size will go down again in a few years and my rings will need adjusting yet again.

I worry about how often I could do this during my lifetime before damaging the rings structural integrity, or it compromising it's appearance.

For example, I'm really keen on a lovely 'Russian wedding band' you know, with the three looping bands but worry that it won't be re sizeable.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Pressed send too soon!

Is there certain styles of ring in which this is something I really need to consider?

I realise this isn't necessarily a cs topic but since I can't see me buying diamonds as the main event for the foreseeable future, I've set up camp in this bit of the forum and know you guys are super helpful. Also since most cs aren't as hard as diamonds, do I need to consider impact on having rings resized that hold delicate stones?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My finger size varies too. If it's a permanent reduction/increase, meaning at least a few years at the same size, I resize my ring. If it's seasonal fluctuation, I will get the larger size and wear a smaller size plain band to stop it when finger shrinks. Thus, I can wear any design I want. HTH.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Ohh ok that's good to know! I just worry about ruining them!

I'd say seasonally can be a 1 size difference but depending on my weight my ring size can fluctuate alot too, though I always have a fairly big sized finger naturally. . I do not have slender fingers at all lol!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I deal with the usual daily/weather fluctuation by wearing the ring on the larger side. If the day is hot, I switch it to my smaller left finger. If the day is cold, I wear it on my fatter right finger. For mid-term fluctuation such as pregnancy, I do not resize because who knows when it will regress and at what size. Once the finger size has stabilized, then I re-size. I do not like to resize a ring more than twice due to potential metal strength issues.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MrsCornishWed|1406623736|3722396 said:
Also since most cs aren't as hard as diamonds, do I need to consider impact on having rings resized that hold delicate stones?

Yes, many stones are prone to damage if they are heated and most jewelers use a torch to do the resizing. If you are concerned about heat sensitive stones, then you should look around for a jeweler who has a laser welder or is very comfortable with removing and re-setting the more sensitive stones, (opal, amethyst, etc). Some metals transmit heat more rapidly, such as silver, and so are a lot bigger problem to re-size with stones in place.

For general re-sizing, the number of times that it can be done depends on the size of the band and how heavy it is. Trying to size large, thin bands UP can be an exercise in futility, (they nearly always break at the solder joint soon after), but nearly any thick and wide band can be re-sized a multitude of times. On the positive side, when a band becomes too thin to re-size it is always a possibility to have a new 1/2 or 3/4 shank installed, putting you right back at the beginning of the number of times you can re-size it.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
There is a clip inserted in the bottom part that is removable and inserted when needed.

ringclip.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results