shape
carat
color
clarity

I need some opinions. Is this a nice mens smoky topaz ring?

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Re: I need some opinions. Is this a nice mens smoky topaz ri

I can't help you with the stone because I honestly do not know..

But what I noticed was that for a 'brand new with tags' ... The metal appears to have lots of scratching??

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Smoky quartz is sometimes marketed as smoky topaz.

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock

Read the listing again, NEW without tags but also says PRE OWNED, then look at the scratches on the ring and the wear to the hallmarks on the outside of the band ( French marks always on outside of band ) lots of massaging the truth regarding the condition, the way it is listed would put me off, contradictions shouldn't appear in sales listing. Just my 2pence. sorry, it says NEW With Tags & pre owned, even worse !!!

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock

I don't know much about fair pricing but based on that listing alone I certainly wouldn't be paying that price.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock

This is a big pet peeve of mine. Some call brown quartz = smoky topaz. It's not a topaz. Topaz and quartz are different gems.

When you see the words "smoky topaz", walk away. The jeweller doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was puzzled by the smoky topaz part too; I'm guessing it is most likely smoky quartz, therefore, even if I take the branding into account, the ring is overpriced.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I were looking for an amazing smoky quartz, I'd check in with Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems - he has some beauties already cut, and quite a bit of rough in a range of smoky colors if you have something specific in mind. http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_SmokeyQuartz.php

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Smokey quartz isn't worth very much, so you're paying for the gold weight, which according to the listing is 25 grams of 18K.

The stone itself is worth around $20 if that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results