shape
carat
color
clarity

question about a red Tanzania Spinel

leslie77

Rough_Rock
2ct red Tanzania Spinel

color is a little bit sleepy/silky. I do like the color and it has no dark zone. but less sparkle compare to clear type of spinel.

The price is over my budget, is it worth $1000/ct ? any comment about the color?

thanks a lot!

_20684.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like that color a lot. The price sounds about right too.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1406390297|3720998 said:

+1

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
really love the color, and if it was the right size and price within the parameters I set for myself I would buy it.

I've purchased gemstones before that was probably more expensive than others of similar color, but I set a budget - the size, shape and cut was what I wanted, so I bought it.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Like it very much - 2 ct - beautiful color and I like the silkiness :appl:

Price.... the good "old" times are gone!!! In 5-10 years you will not regret buying this stone! Here in europe ( Inhorgenta ) price per ct
could be 1000-1200 EUR

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the photo is accurate, I think it's really lovely. Did you view it in all lighting?

$1K/ct seems on par for what these stones are selling for online these days. Some retailers charge $2K+/ct, for stones that don't even look as nice as yours, but are considered "red spinels."

Although it is slightly sleepy, I don't think the sleepiness is such that the stone looks milky, translucent or distracting to the eye. These Tanzanian red spinels tend to be slightly sleepy at times.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The color is very nice. Well saturated too. I like slightly sleepy gems -- they have a yummy silky glow. It's a great size. Prices for those are rising, as they have been for some time. This could be one of those instances where you want to grab it while you can because you probably won't see a similar one for that price again & you'll kick yourself later. If it's not too far above your budget for your comfort, that is.

--- Laurie

leslie77

Rough_Rock
TL|1406396161|3721029 said:
If the photo is accurate, I think it's really lovely. Did you view it in all lighting?

$1K/ct seems on par for what these stones are selling for online these days. Some retailers charge $2K+/ct, for stones that don't even look as nice as yours, but are considered "red spinels."

Although it is slightly sleepy, I don't think the sleepiness is such that the stone looks milky, translucent or distracting to the eye. These Tanzanian red spinels tend to be slightly sleepy at times.

I found this stone online, but the seller also has a retail store. The color appears more saturated than in the picture. It has a very nice red color under natural light.

I'm not a professional so not sure what lighting condition should i look at.

attached are under very low lighting and indoor yellow lights. it appears an orange color under indoor yellow lights.

the stone is eye clean. sorry i take bad pictures using my cell phone.

low_light.jpg

yellow_light.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1406390297|3720998 said:

Agree with this. :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, now that I see your pics, it looks quite different. What color do you find it to be?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
leslie77|1406397933|3721052 said:

I found this stone online, but the seller also has a retail store. The color appears more saturated than in the picture. It has a very nice red color under natural light.

attached are under very low lighting and indoor yellow lights. it appears an orange color under indoor yellow lights.

It looks far less saturated in these photos, and more brownish, so the question is, which photo is accurate? Notice I did say at the top "IF the photo is accurate. . . ."

So, I'm assuming you saw the stone in person, and if we are to properly evaluate, or give opinions, we need an accurate photo(s).

Some red spinels look fabulous outside, and very unsaturated and even dull, indoors. Is this that kind of stone as well? If so, you have to ask yourself if you can live with that color shift.

leslie77

Rough_Rock
attached are photos I just took.

one is under sunlight, another one is under shades.

I have to say that all photos are less saturated. It's difficult to take photo for spinel. This the best I can do with my Samsung cell phone.

_20699.jpg

_20700.jpg

leslie77

Rough_Rock
TL|1406399045|3721071 said:
leslie77|1406397933|3721052 said:

It looks far less saturated in these photos, and more brownish, so the question is, which photo is accurate? Notice I did say at the top "IF the photo is accurate. . . ."

So, I'm assuming you saw the stone in person, and if we are to properly evaluate, or give opinions, we need an accurate photo(s).

Some red spinels look fabulous outside, and very unsaturated and even dull, indoors. Is this that kind of stone as well? If so, you have to ask yourself if you can live with that color shift.

the color shift is not as bad as the photo shows. the color shift to red with a slight orange with indoor lighting. and it's glowing in the dark.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The last two and the color of the stone and your skin - it is really a beautiful mahenge!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'll take your word for it that if it looks closer to the iphone pics, then it's a very pretty orangy pink spinel, and $1K/ct again, isn't out of the question for such a stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers. :angel:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a well priced nice looking spinel. Although there is colour shifting, it still seems to be well saturated. Cut also looks good.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very pretty but do you like the sleepiness? That really is a personal preference and if you are going over budget for a stone -make sure you like everything about it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good grief, it is a steal at $1k/carat!
i've seen a lot of spinels that even at that price will black out somewhere on the surface of the stone.
sleepy or not it is not over priced.
and i'm betting that if you don't want it someone here will buy it :o

leslie77

Rough_Rock
LisaRN|1406555141|3721899 said:
It's very pretty but do you like the sleepiness? That really is a personal preference and if you are going over budget for a stone -make sure you like everything about it.

not going to complain about it since it's just slightly sleepy. clear spinel is more likely to have dark zone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results