shape
carat
color
clarity

Stones Set Within the Split of the Shank

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the process of having a custom ring made by one of the recommended vendors. I sent them my inspiration picture (picture below, mine won't have the pave, so try to imagine the side stones on their own with a yellow gold shank) so they could understand how I wanted my sidestones set, basically within the split of the shank.

The CADs arrived yesterday and it seems my idea hadn't translated very well as they had sort of placed my trillions as traditionally set side stones. I want to go back to the maker with some images to try and capture the essence of what I'm trying to achieve.

Has anyone else had a similar setting made or have you seen one in the past? Pics please!

9-52ct-spinel-b-e1bdd.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post the CADs?

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
I think this drawing demonstrates how they are proposing to set the stones:

icm_9.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't suppose there are photos of your example ring from other sides or views? They didn't get the idea at all. No split shank there. I think you need to explain it again & as clearly as you can state it -- SPLIT shank with side stones set into the space where they diverge, maybe including again your example ring with arrows to the shank & diamond. It's a gorgeous ring, btw, & I like your idea a lot.

--- Laurie

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I think it was a communication issue. They thought they knew but they got it wrong. Try explaining again, but more clearly that you want a split shank and for the side stone to be set in the spapce _between_ the shanks. You could attach a photo of a normal split shank and then draw an arrow to show what you mean. You could also specify for them to be flush with the shank, like a channel set stone, and not set above.

Also here is another pic you could maybe use
:http://www.astonroyal.com/jewelry/tapered-sapphire-baguette-diamond-ring

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
Peacechick: I found the exact same image yesterday in my searching! Great minds...
I thought I had explained it fairly clearly, and it's great to see that you guys get what I'm talking about. This is the most important design element of the ring and I really want them to get it right.
I tried to do some freehand sketching last night, but failed miserably, an artist I'm not! But I like your suggestions and I will try marking up some images of split shank rings to send to them.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think using the words flush and channel might be best. You might also say that you want the girdle to be flush with the top of the shank. They will probably have to use a prong on the tip of the stone, otherwise I imagine setting it could be kind of precarious.

I don't think they were that far off if that's the only picture you have of the inspiration, since it only gives a top view. For all we know, it could very well look like the CAD from the side!

Looking forward to revisions!

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Freke. I ended up sending my sketches to illustrate what I'm after. They're going to send me revised CADs soon with the trillions set with small prongs. Fingers crossed!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it reminds me a little of this ritani, I think basically it would be bezel set, but just with the bezel concave instead of strait like this ring

60qq13.jpg

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
Round two of the CADs has arrived. I'm happier with this version but have asked that the vendor clean up the transition between the shank and the split. I'm not 100% sure about how the shank transitions to the basket either, so any feedback would be great. I've circled where I've flagged the transition with the vendor.

icm_10.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That can probably be smoothed out with polishing during finishing/etc. As for the transition from shank to head, that's something you'd have to ask the vendor, unless you're asking for ideas on how to make it happen smoother?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They should be able to make the shank go smoothly into the basket. It looks like a clunky transition to me. Here are a couple examples of my rings that do it well (pics will be big because I'm too lazy to shrink them!):

il_66.jpg

il_67.jpg

laurie3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am unsure whether what was circled in just a reflection or truly a funky looking transition. It is best to contact the vendor to clear this up. The transition can be made seamless by either making the shank a knife-edge or having it taper slightly at the trillion tip, then built up in width again towards the shank.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a thread for this beauty? I'm very interested to see how it turned out.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you're still looking for images, but here's mine.

_20785.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results