shape
carat
color
clarity

question about cutting diamonds

jaysawatzki

Rough_Rock
OK, so here's my plan. I am planning on buying a rough 20 carat diamond and having it cut into two 5 carat diamonds.

My question is: after the two 5 carat diamonds have been cut, can I have the jewler cut the cuttings into small accents around the band of the ring?

I don't really know how this works, and I'm not sure if my question is clear, let me restate it...

When the jewler cuts the diamond, there are pieces that are cut off the main stone. How big are those pieces? Can those pieces be made into small accents around the band?

Thank you.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How do you plan on getting a legal 20ct rough that will cut into 2 5ct diamonds with bits left over?
That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

jaysawatzki

Rough_Rock
Karl_K|1406430728|3721274 said:
How do you plan on getting a legal 20ct rough that will cut into 2 5ct diamonds with bits left over?
That sounds like a recipe for disaster.
When a diamond is cut are there left covers or is it turned to dust?.

Never mind. I just watched a video on cutting. Looks like its turned to dust.

OK thanks anyway bye bye

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sometimes a diamond is cut into smaller pieces with a saw or laser then polished into final shape.
In the old days they were cleaved.
It is possible that a rough yield several stones.
With computerized planning it is getting more common, in the past it was only done on very large rough for the most part.

Legally getting cuttable rough and finding a cutter however makes your plan pretty improbable.
Then add in 2 5ct and sides and its pretty much impossible.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Basically Karl is saying that not just anyone can buy diamond rough. A cutter who could source such a large piece of rough would absolutely cut one large diamond from it (if possible) rather than two small ones because one 10 carat diamond would be worth far more than two five carat diamonds. So basically, you'll need to shop for already cut diamonds like the rest of us, unless you want to have a diamond custom cut, and you still have to go through a diamond dealer to do that. Johnathan at Good Old Gold is having a special diamond custom cut for a member here now.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I GUARANTEE that this is a scam. Whoever is selling you a 20 carat cuttable piece of rough knows exactly what they have. They have readily available customers and they've already talked to them about it. It’s an easy item to sell and they can get top dollar for it. That’s where you come in. They want more than top dollar, and the only way to get that is to do business with someone who doesn’t really know how this works. That's you.

You are being played.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't imagine another product where goods are sold/traded only by and to a tightly-restricted group of insiders.

When rough is available to the public something's wrong, either with the desirability/usability of the rough or its origin, as in conflict diamonds.
There is some reason that rough was not processed by the established system.

You should drop this project.
It will not go well.

Diamond cutting is not for do-it-yourselfers like buying wood and making your own dining table.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results