shape
carat
color
clarity

14KY or 14KW for pendant mounting with FIYs?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For once I am really on the fence. :confused:

I need to make a decision soon on what metal to choose for a pendant to be set with the extra diamonds from my 8.94 ctw parcel of Fancy Intense Yellow diamonds (.20s).

14KW would really show a contrast between it and the yellow diamonds.
But hubby said that most of my jewelry is 14K/18K yellow. I do have a few pieces in platinum or 14K-X1.
The ring holding my Tiffany Fancy Yellow is 18KY.
The new bracelet that Wink is making with the FIY round brilliants will be 18KY.

What would you do? (and why)?
Isn't that a TV show on Friday nights?

If I went with 14KW, should I also buy a new chain? Or could that be paired with an exisiting 14KY chain?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious.. why not rose gold... my choices would be yellow or rose then white.. I think a yellow diamond pops more with a yellow setting :) any old way it's going to be gorgeous. It's been my experience that you would need a new chain.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cflutist - owner of such gorgeous bracelets - I went and used one of those websites that allows you to "show" your selected stones in their mountings and I didn't like the yellow stones in WG at all. I did like it the best in RG and it looked good in two tone RG / WG. It was okay on YG. The sample yellow sapphire I picked to use is more brilliant yellow than your beautiful diamonds will be.

I was telling my DH at lunch today about the gorgeous bracelet Wink made for you. Poor guy has to listen to me blather on about jewelry all the time.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not exactly sure what the design of your pendant is but is there anyway you can use both white and yellow gold so that
you can wear it with either color?

I have a bracelet that has white gold bars with yellow gold round links. Its nice that I can wear it with white gold rings or yellow
gold rings.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since this is a stock pendant from Stuller, it is available in stock as 14KY or 14KW.

14K Rose Gold is available as a special order and I don't know if I would like that in a pendant.
My flute is actually 14K Rose Gold, so I held my Tiffany yellow next to it and didn't care for the look.
The diamond got lost next to it.

I went to the Tiffany website and looked at their Yellow Diamond collection.
I compared the overall look with Yellow versus Platinum (they don't do 14KW),
and I have to admit that the yellows with the Platinum really "popped".
They had several rings with yellow melee on 18KY and you had to really look to see
the diamonds versus those in Platinum where quite visible.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1406153568|3719362 said:
Cflutist - owner of such gorgeous bracelets - I went and used one of those websites that allows you to "show" your selected stones in their mountings and I didn't like the yellow stones in WG at all. I did like it the best in RG and it looked good in two tone RG / WG. It was okay on YG. The sample yellow sapphire I picked to use is more brilliant yellow than your beautiful diamonds will be.

I was telling my DH at lunch today about the gorgeous bracelet Wink made for you. Poor guy has to listen to me blather on about jewelry all the time.

I asked what my hubby thought and the told me he was tired of listening to me talk about jewelry. :lol:
In his defense this has been going on since late march so I could understand why. :lol:

Thank you for the compliment on the bracelets. I'm on the home stretch here and the suspense is killing me.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just went to Leibish and DBL's website and most of the rings were in white metals.
The only time I saw yellow gold, was yellowish orange or brownish yellow.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough Q... ::)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1406163980|3719488 said:
This is a tough Q... ::)

Hubby says just toss a coin ... he's no help.

In the meantime I used a hole punch to punch out little yellow "diamonds" from a Post-It Note and am moving them around a picture
of the setting I think I want to use (there is also a backup setting if we have only 3 extras).

Nice thing is that they stick to the paper :lol:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1406155577|3719389 said:
marcy|1406153568|3719362 said:

I asked what my hubby thought and the told me he was tired of listening to me talk about jewelry. :lol:
In his defense this has been going on since late march so I could understand why. :lol:

Thank you for the compliment on the bracelets. I'm on the home stretch here and the suspense is killing me.

My husband can certainly sympathize with your husband. :lol: He often says all he hears is blah blah blah diamond blah blah blah sapphire. :bigsmile: Glad we can come talk about our bling here.

I am sure you are quite anxious to get everything done. I am anxious to see it when you get it. :wavey:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I talked to Wink today and he tells me that there are 9 stones left ... that means that I'll have to make 2 pendants.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1406337835|3720750 said:
I talked to Wink today and he tells me that there are 9 stones left ... that means that I'll have to make 2 pendants.

Or maybe dangle earrings? I am an enabler you know. :bigsmile:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have pierced ears so I don't wear earrings.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a 1.8 ctw half eternity ring?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1406349265|3720839 said:
I think .20s are too large for a half eternity band, I already find my .12s uncomfortable.
Besides I already have too many rings and want to wear my Tiffany Fancy Yellow as a RHR ring.
But good thought DF.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wish I had your problem with 9 left over FIY diamonds... :bigsmile:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1406349959|3720846 said:
Dancing Fire|1406349265|3720839 said:
I think .20s are too large for a half eternity band, I already find my .12s uncomfortable.
Besides I already have too many rings and want to wear my Tiffany Fancy Yellow as a RHR ring.
But good thought DF.

Is there such a thing as too many rings? :lol:

It sounds like another pendant may be in your future. My only other thought yellow DBTY necklace.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the pendant in the same metal as the new bracelet would be. Not so much to match in wearing it but it would be because the parcel of diamonds was rare to find with the matching stones plus rare color. I would want it to look all the same to reflect that.

What about a y style pendant if there are more. Or dangly earrings. It is going to be a beautiful, beautiful bracelet. Love the white diamond one Wink made you years ago. You are lucky to still be able to get the yellow one from the same jeweller 10+ years later.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1406363207|3720907 said:
I would get the pendant in the same metal as the new bracelet would be. Not so much to match in wearing it but it would be because the parcel of diamonds was rare to find with the matching stones plus rare color. I would want it to look all the same to reflect that.

What about a y style pendant if there are more. Or dangly earrings. It is going to be a beautiful, beautiful bracelet. Love the white diamond one Wink made you years ago. You are lucky to still be able to get the yellow one from the same jeweller 10+ years later.

Pyramid, I think back 10 years ago and how I posted on PS asking about vendors for a tennis bracelet. Wink was one of the vendors who responded. I also spoke to Brian Gavin (of Whiteflash at the time), but he never got back to me with a quote. So I thought, why not? I'll give this Wink gentleman a call. We talked ... and talked ... and talked ..., I really liked his easy no pressure manner, so then I decided to order from him. Until then, I had never bought something that expensive and sight unseen off the Internet (my previous purchases were from the Jewelry Mart in SF). I had to trust this man and I am very glad that I did. He delivered MORE than I asked for because most of the .33s had "arrows" to our surprise (they were not sold as H&A). Even today, I still trust this man implicity. He asked that I fly to Idaho to view these FIYs or drive to Los Angeles to view them with his setter. He wanted me to be absolutely sure before I purchased the 8.94 TW parcel of round FIYs. Nope, viewing them over the Internet was good enough for me because I trust him as a jeweler, a person, and as a friend. This is my third purchase from him and I hope to make a fourth in the future (a CBI diamond).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, 9 is perfect for a diamonds-by-the-yard necklace!!! I would do in in yellow gold since that is the metal you are using for your bracelet. I personally love yellow diamonds in white metal, but that would not make sense to me since your other pieces are in yg.

You could do a short version (16-17") or a long (36") version. Here is someone's long DBTY in yellow gold with 9 stones in the link below.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-because-he-loves-me-my-new-custom-bgd-dbty-necklace.191646/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-because-he-loves-me-my-new-custom-bgd-dbty-necklace.191646/[/URL]

Here is a shorter one in yellow gold (7 stones but obviously 9 works really well):

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-06-ctw-custom-dbty-by-idj.179469/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-06-ctw-custom-dbty-by-idj.179469/[/URL]

I personally think it would be gorgeous long with the yellow diamonds!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DS, also a good idea.

However I prefer my diamonds to be concentrated in one spot if that makes sense.

Here is a mockup of what we are planning, Wink needs to check with his bench on Monday to see if this can be made.
Otherwise it will probably be either 8 on one and 1 on another, or 6 on one and 3 on another.
Post-It Notes are good for something ... LOL ... can be easily moved around.

sm_pendant_9_stones.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certainly that makes sense if it is your preference! I'll look forward to seeing both of these finished pieces!!! :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:think: .. How about a custom diamond tie clip for WS?..:naughty:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF

Tie clip? Dear hubby is retired and only wears ties on formal nights on our cruises. I did make a sapphire tie clip for my ex though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to the drawing board. Tell WS I'll think of something for him... :naughty:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of your suggestions.
I ended up with this.
14K WG with 14K YG heads.

Here is the back:

_21196.jpg

_21197.jpg

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
This is soooo beautiful! :appl: I think the WG was a great choice, and I just love how fluid the lines are in this pendant.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EvangelineG|1407603641|3729227 said:
This is soooo beautiful! :appl: I think the WG was a great choice, and I just love how fluid the lines are in this pendant.

Thank you EvagelineG. I like asymetrical lines and thought that this stock mounting was very pretty.
I actually like the 9 diamonds more than the 5 of the original pendant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results