shape
carat
color
clarity

Impulse Buy on eBay...Green/blue sapphire earrings

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On impulse I clicked "buy", then really looked at the listing more closely.
Sorry, eBay won't let me capture the photos, but here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300936058114?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_ipg%3D50%26_sadis%3D10%26_ftrv%3D1%26_sop%3D12%26LH_SALE_CURRENCY%3D0%26LH_Sold%3D1%26LH_Complete%3D1%26_dmd%3D1%26_ftrt%3D901%26_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D300936058114%26_rdc%3D1
Does anyone have insight into whether I made a good choice?

I just thought they were pretty - and the GIA report sweetened the deal. But the listing only shows one report - maybe they only got one stone certified to find out what they were..and in the report earring is spelled wrong and the metal is not specified - just "white metal".
But I did look up the report at GIA, so it's valid.

I have emailed the seller with questions, but since I clicked "buy", they are mine. There is a 14 day return policy, but I would rather not have to go through the hassle if they aren't worth it.
TIA!

ps. I just discovered they have been on eBay since Sept.2013 : (

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That seller has 70,000+ feedback at 99.9%. I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as that is concerned. The listing says 14k wg, so there is no reason to doubt that. You have a lab report on one of the sapphires and since they posted that twice, I am guessing the other has a GIA report, too, and they didn't realize they posted the same one twice. I think this was a low risk buy. It just depends on whether you love them when you see them!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1406422668|3721216 said:
That seller has 70,000+ feedback at 99.9%. I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as that is concerned. The listing says 14k wg, so there is no reason to doubt that. You have a lab report on one of the sapphires and since they posted that twice, I am guessing the other has a GIA report, too, and they didn't realize they posted the same one twice. I think this was a low risk buy. It just depends on whether you love them when you see them!

Thanks, DS. Low Risk Logic prevails!
[This from the girl who bought Tiffany plat. diamond studs on eBay from a first time seller . lol]

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I like those! :love: :love: And don't feel bad about impulsive, I did the same thing on LT last night. :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they look really pretty! My only hesitations in real life would be the color of the stones and the cut. I have a thing for blue-green stones, so these appeal to me a lot.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look lovely Jimmianne. And the ebay seller is a good one so if you don't love it you can return them (14 day return policy) no problem. I love the style and the color. Fingers crossed the cut is good and the color appeals to you IRL. :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They're pretty earrings, Jimmianne & it's a good price from a seller who looks reliable. Gosh, with the return policy as it is, I'd jump on them! Pics when they arrive, ok?

--- Laurie

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
The earrings are very pretty. I bought from that seller before, a $2k bracelet but didn't love it. Zero issues returning it and he gave me a prompt refund. I would buy from him again, if something caught my eye.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I see no red flags and the colour is beautiful in my opinion. I think you did great and I'd love to see pics when they arrive!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, all. I can always count on you guys to enable me if it's a good thing. :tongue:
When I went back to the sellers store [thousands of vintage jewelry items] I found a sapphire ring that really spoke to me.
I have a thing for rings that look like compasses - and what I really want eventually is that Erika W. Thea Halo...
erika-winters-bridal-thea-halo-engagement-ring-jg-angle.jpg

this bit of shopping is a way of avoiding buying another diamond right now :lol:
so these things really ARE a bargain.

Will post photos when they arrive.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1406438318|3721330 said:
I like those! :love: :love: And don't feel bad about impulsive, I did the same thing on LT last night. :lol:

Why does this not surprise me...
care to share what you found??

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1406498561|3721629 said:
oh! so it was YOU.
great purchase
{{{envy}}}

:naughty: :bigsmile: :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's too late but you can email/call GIA to confirm that the report isn't forged (in light of the misspelled word, which seems unprofessional for GIA but mistakes can happen). I also hope the earrings look as pictured in the listing, which looks very different from the one in the GIA report.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1406549895|3721848 said:
Maybe it's too late but you can email/call GIA to confirm that the report isn't forged (in light of the misspelled word, which seems unprofessional for GIA but mistakes can happen). I also hope the earrings look as pictured in the listing, which looks very different from the one in the GIA report.

Thanks, Chrono. I did find the certificate on the GIA website and it's authentic.
Fortunately there is a 14 day return policy in case these "earings" are duds.
This seller is amazing - over 3600 listings and over 70,000 sales. Talk about a full-time job!

I imagine it's like the pawn shop I visit - jewelry ranges from overpriced junk to amazing deals. We'll see!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1406551387|3721861 said:
Thanks, Chrono. I did find the certificate on the GIA website and it's authentic. Fortunately there is a 14 day return policy in case these "earings" are duds.

That's great!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at what you've paid for, you've got 2 x heated sapphires (probably BE diffused) set into 14k white gold with a GIA report. At the end of the day, the price is reasonable for that if the sapphires turn out to have the nice colour as in the photo. As you say, you have a 14 day return period so if they arrive and they're not what you like you can always get your money back. It's definitely not in the league of "worst purchases I have ever seen"! :wink2:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received the earrings and ring from the eBay seller.
The earrings are going back - only one earring has a GIA certificate and the "dangles" are on ear wires marked "JCM 14K CZ" so who knows what that means. The diamond-looking stones are diamonds - slight inclusions and one fluoresces. Too bad the seller did not respond to my requests for further information about the GIA certificate. I guess he just hoped I would keep them. They are really tiny!
p1100818.jpg p1100821.jpg

The ring is interesting. It's quite petite, but pretty and the little center diamond is a sparkly OEC. I may keep it. p1100808.jpg xxxxxx.jpg

I need to buy a piggy bank to put all this "odds & ends" spending money in to save for my next project!
edited for general typo/mispelling/it's been a long day

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the colouration of the sapphires anything like the website pictures?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1406763443|3723417 said:
Is the colouration of the sapphires anything like the website pictures?

They are not a simple bright green like the photo on the website, but have more subtle & complex depth of color. With light going through they are lighter and greener, but wearing then they look dark blue-green. Very pretty. They are seducing me a bit this morning...

by the way, why would anyone pay to send an earring [from a $485 pair] to GIA? any thoughts?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1406806426|3723659 said:
by the way, why would anyone pay to send an earring [from a $485 pair] to GIA? any thoughts?

Perhaps the seller thought they might be a more valuable stone?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1406859510|3724175 said:
Jimmianne|1406806426|3723659 said:

Perhaps the seller thought they might be a more valuable stone?

that is certainly a possibility.
Here are responses from the seller - she said when sending earrings to GIA, GIA only certifies one...even diamond studs [? ]

When I asked why the ear wires said "JCM 14k CZ" she said they were custom made by Charles Zimmerman. I cannot find any Charles Zimmerman jewelry on the web, but I can find lots of JCM 14K CZ things - often sold by QVC.

This may be typical of pre-owned large volume jewelry sellers. My own [high-volume estate resale store] here doesn't research things and assumes things from Zales are vintage estate pieces, but then will put a low price on something high-value. Which is why it's fun to hunt there.

Maybe there is a Charles Zimmerman, but for fun I'm having the diamonds tested before sending the earrings back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results