shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide between two mahenges!

rwillya

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. Based on my most recent posts, you may have noticed that I have been on a quest for the perfect Mahenge spinel in order to make a ring for my girlfriend. Earlier this week, my girlfriend and I went to Prima Gems with Yvonne Raley to check out some Mahenge spinels. We came home with one. Another potential choice just arrived this morning. Both gems are actually pretty similar in terms of everything except for color. Both gems are vvs and very nicely cut, neither stone has a window or extinction. The oval stone is 7.3 x 10.4 mm and weighs 2.78 carats. The other stone is 7 x 9 mm and weighs 2.36 carats, it was described as being the top reddish pink color that Mahenges are known for. In terms of what I see, the oval stone is definitely more pink and has a neon quality to it in all types of lighting. I do not think that I captured this well in the pictures that I took. The other stone is definitely more red but seems to have a more orange tone to it. However, this stone in person does not match (in my opinion) the description that I was given of the stone. Both stones are beautiful but I wanted to get some opinions before I made a final choice. Please let me know what you think!

img_4143.jpg

img_0713-2.jpg

img_4144.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here is the thing...

If it were me, I'm more of a reddish color person... so I would go with one that has more red but This is for you... so tell me this?

1. Are you looking for more trade ideal color? or 2. does your SO like a certain color more than the others?

as for shape- I really like the Oval more...

3. Which one hold their colors better in different lighting condition, that may also help you decide?

I don't know if its just the way they are pictured but both look like there is window in the gems. Is it that noticeable IRL?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rwillya|1406390699|3721000 said:
Hi everyone. Based on my most recent posts, you may have noticed that I have been on a quest for the perfect Mahenge spinel in order to make a ring for my girlfriend. Earlier this week, my girlfriend and I went to Prima Gems with Yvonne Raley to check out some Mahenge spinels. We came home with one. Another potential choice just arrived this morning. Both gems are actually pretty similar in terms of everything except for color. Both gems are vvs and very nicely cut, neither stone has a window or extinction. The oval stone is 7.3 x 10.4 mm and weighs 2.78 carats. The other stone is 7 x 9 mm and weighs 2.36 carats, it was described as being the top reddish pink color that Mahenges are known for. In terms of what I see, the oval stone is definitely more pink and has a neon quality to it in all types of lighting. I do not think that I captured this well in the pictures that I took. The other stone is definitely more red but seems to have a more orange tone to it. However, this stone in person does not match (in my opinion) the description that I was given of the stone. Both stones are beautiful but I wanted to get some opinions before I made a final choice. Please let me know what you think!

If your photos are accurate, the cushion has more orange hue in it, it's probably an orangy pink or orangy red. If you like orange, than that's your thing; however, I think the oval is more saturated in terms of purity of hue (pink in this case) than the cushion, even if it's not as "red." I hope that makes sense. Tone is the lightness and darkness of a gem, hue is the color, saturation is the purity of color. Both have similar tone (medium).

rwillya

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your replies. My photography is absolutely atrocious. Neither of the stones have windows, it is just the angle. The cushion is definitely more orangey in real life that what is depicted in the photo. I have seen spinels that are the top color according to the trade in person and the cushion stone does not match that color.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
If you don't know which one - take both... :D

I could not decide which one is nicer - honestly!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rwillya|1406396380|3721034 said:
Thank you both for your replies. My photography is absolutely atrocious. Neither of the stones have windows, it is just the angle. The cushion is definitely more orangey in real life that what is depicted in the photo. I have seen spinels that are the top color according to the trade in person and the cushion stone does not match that color.

I was told by a top vendor of these stones, whom many people know, including Prima, that pinkish red is the trade ideal (I rather not mention his name because he may not want me to). The cushion, to my eyes, is probably an orangy red, or orangy pink, and the oval is probably a pure pink. That doesn't mean that orangy pink or orangy red, or pure pink, are not beautiful. This is just an FYI on the trade ideal. It's up to you to decide what color you like, but typically, the more saturated a stone, it is more pleasing it is to the eyes. However, it's about what you like, what you can afford, and your color preferences.

Again, I'm only mentioning trade ideal here as an FYI, not to sound snobby or anything like that, since it was asked about.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They are both nice stones & as TL said, it's really a matter of which your SO likes best. Did she mention a preference? When buying a stone to wear myself, I think worrying about the trade ideal is useless. What turns me on? That's all that counts. The oval is more saturated, which would appeal to me, but if your SO likes the orangey modifier in the other one, then that's the one for her.

--- Laurie

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lots of spinel questions today!

I'll ditto everyone else - which do you guys like the most? That's the single most important thing! Don't worry about trade ideal or whatever, you guys are the ones who will be looking at it all of the time, so it's your opinion that's important!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not everyone likes trade ideal, so go with what you like. The description seems to match the pictures on my monitor but you have the stones in had and are in a better position to make that call. As a "just in case" thing, do you happen to have any "tweezer" pictures from Prima?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the one stone has a neon quality to it in all types of lighting then that would be the one I would choose.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am partial to the oval, it is more saturated and has that much desired neon quality. It's all about personal taste though, which one do you and your SO prefer?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results