shape
carat
color
clarity

It's all very dramatic!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - if you find a fine rough and let it cut it could be SO cheap!! The Litnon was offered for several month and sold a few minutes after the posting - guess why?

If you buy the rough you talk to the cutter and decide together what you want - but of course there is a risk - and it is yours.

If the cutter buys the rough for you you pay much more!! If he wants to sell this Litnon sapphire cut for 500 or 600 it would be o.k. course it is his risk.

If you want a rough Montana cut talk to the cutter - they will help you course they want a satisfied customer!!

I bought a large golden Skapolite in a show - Uli cut a 7+ ct Liquid Flower and a piece from the rough was send to Sri Lanka and I got a 1 ct oval back. The rough was 40,- EUR - was a good deal.

But I never will post a link to a nice stone again - 100% that some here saw the stone and catched it!!! Not nice!

Talked to Uli now while writing - he has smaller Montana rough - finished around 0,5 ct.
He would cut a rough for you if you find a bigger one. Not less than 5mm depth and 6ct would be around 2ct +/- finished.

Of course all the other cutom cutter would do the same for you !!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you're over the hump, MrsCW. It is kind of painful to fall for a stone & have to let it go -- boy, do I know from experience! Gems & houses -- I get madly in love & have lost a few purchases of both. After a little melodrama, I always feel that that's how it was meant to be. Something that makes me just as happy always always comes up eventually. For you, without the stress of spending more than you're comfortable with. You have a good head on your shoulders -- good girl! :appl:

--- Laurie

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
The other tricky thing about buying rough and having it cut is you don't really know what the finished color will be, or really what the finished gem will look like (there might be inclusions to avoid, or something like a feather might develop while it's being cut...). But, if you're not tied to a given color and would be fine with a range of colors then it could be something to explore.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Definitely need to consider this rough idea. Marlow, I wish there was a PM function to ps!!!

I haven't even thought about that stone today! I think I've officially moved on. I think I saw it.. got excited and attached and as I have no one else to discuss this with IRL it was all bottled up for too long... now I've had the chance to share my unreasonable hysteria for this stone I feel lighter and much more level headed over the whole ordeal.

Thank you all again. I'm feeling sane again!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Visit Uli Zeisbergs homepage and send him a mail - he will give you mine or you talk to him.

Say " Marlow"and "Montana sapphire".

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
by VirginiaZee » 24 Jul 2014 06:40
The other tricky thing about buying rough and having it cut is you don't really know what the finished color will be, or really what the finished gem will look like (there might be inclusions to avoid, or something like a feather might develop while it's being cut...). But, if you're not tied to a given color and would be fine with a range of colors then it could be something to explore.

----

That is a risk you are right. Before you purchase I would talk to the cutter whether it is o.k. if you buy rough and send it for cutting.

Some cutter don't like special gem rough, some a minimum size and so on.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lovely but non-essential is totally right. I've lusted over gems, going back to the same page over and over and over, and I actually don't even remember what they were or looked like now. The only piece I lusted over, and didn't buy, that actually stands out in memory, is a pair of diamond drop earrings with a really interesting kite cut that went for $2,500. I had the money, but I also had many better places to put that money, so I didn't get it. Then, it sold. I do wonder about it at times. Missing out on the earrings is a little 'sad' (and, its such a tiny thing to be sad about in the grand scheme of things!), but doesn't compare to the stress of depleting my bank account.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Another thought to bolster you: this particular gem seller does not "deal" on price. Also, take a look at the vendor pictures vs. owner pictures. Sometimes what looks great on the screen is not what you're going to get! Stay strong! You will find your dream stone! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results