shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a Flexsteel sofa?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do they hold up? DH is a big boy and has seriously destroyed our current 5 year old sofa. It literally has a hole in the middle, it was just not sturdy at all. So that's a line we were looking at for the replacement but I don't know much about them.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We do, my parents do and family friends up the street do. I was SO gungho about getting flexsteel, didn't care about the increased cost, I was adamant it was going to be the answer to our prayers for not breaking couches and not having the spot where my husband sits always be lower from him sitting in it. My parents have a couch and loveseat set, that are all reclining. They've had them for like..20 years or better, and they're still in fine condition, just the fabric is a bit worn. Let me make a notation here that--I don't know that my dad has ever sat on the couches, and my mom does occasionally. Mostly if they're in the living room watching tv, they lay on the floor.

Well...you know, it just doesn't work the way I thought it would/should. We went w/leather b/c we were promised it would be indestructible w/kids, swore up and down pets would never hurt it. Now..I have scratches ALL over both the couch and loveseat from the cats claws, there's an indentation from my husband's head on the back of where he sits, and the leather is totally discolored there. His place where he sits is smooshed down so you can tell if you sit there, and then move to a different spot, the difference in how it feels to sit. We've had these about 1 1/2 years is all. I've found places where the stitching is pulling away and pieces of the leather are coming off where it has the little leather cording/trim.

Sadly, I think for those of us w/big husbands, it's just something we have to deal with. I'm fed up w/it. This is what I'm looking at now instead http://www.homereserve.com/index.cfm

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
We have one that is about 15 years old. I can't say how it will stand up to daily wear and tear with your husband. My parents bought the couch when I was in middle school and I promise you that my sister and I were very rough on the furniture. It spent a few years at my college boyfriends house (needed to be professionally cleaned after that!) and now it is in my "formal" living room. It is still in great shape, but the patern is not my style.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I hear great things about their quality. The one collection I would steer away from is the Latitudes collection. It's made overseas and the quality is not the same as the other products Flexsteel makes.

Another brand you could consider is Lee Industries.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ame, I recommended Flexsteel several months ago when you were looking for a new couch. My family had one for many years until I moved it several times and then couldn't get anyone to move it for me again (my brother was so over it after the sixth move in four years, haha!) It held up extremely well, even with the Magic Marker stains on the undersides of each cushion courtesy of my 3-year-old self's artwork.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea I remember that! My biggest concern is that the newer ones won't hold up like the old school ones like you guys have. They cost a fortune, IMO, so if I have to replace it in less than 20 years...I will not be pleased.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Well, expectations can be a little disappointing but if you want a sofa that lasts 20 years and at what I consider a reasonable price, then I think you're in the right direction with Flexsteel.

*I'm an Interior Designer so I keep up with furniture manufacturers.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
heraanderson|1344555126|3248820 said:
Well, expectations can be a little disappointing but if you want a sofa that lasts 20 years and at what I consider a reasonable price, then I think you're in the right direction with Flexsteel.

I don't know if I really expect 20 years but certainly well more than 5 without it looking like crap or sagging. I mean, DH is NOT small by any means. But our current one didn't make it beyond about 18 months (conveniently AFTER warranty) before it was a mess. And the loveseat I use is barely dented at all.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
ame|1344555363|3248822 said:
heraanderson|1344555126|3248820 said:

I don't know if I really expect 20 years but certainly well more than 5 without it looking like crap or sagging. I mean, DH is NOT small by any means. But our current one didn't make it beyond about 18 months (conveniently AFTER warranty) before it was a mess. And the loveseat I use is barely dented at all.

Unfortunately, I think that furniture manufacturing in general has been making a transition. It's hard to say for sure anymore about any manufacturer. I believe they are responding to consumer tastes as consumers no longer want great quality sofas that last 20-30 years like they used to.
It does helps to be in knowledge about what makes a great sofa frame and then go from there. In this midrange pricing point, I think you are in a good direction as Flexsteel has a great reputation and proven track record for a solid spring frame system. There are arguably better frame systems but they can come with larger price tags. I'm thinking in the upper range, a Hancock and Moore sofa could last 30 years but they are VERY expensive.

Like I said earlier, you can check also check out Lee Industries, but also Bernhardt and Bob Mitchell +Gold Williams. Some of those manufacturers are carried at Crate and Barrel and are a great value for the price. You could also check into some of the manufacturers in North Carolina but unless you buy full containers of furniture, are usually not worth the expense.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
My SO mainly sits in his computer chair (he is a gamer :rolleyes: ). I would be really upset if our Howard got messed up after only 18 months. However I think 20 years might be a bit of a high life expectancy on a soft sofa that is used every day.

With SO's computer chairs I just assume we will need to replace them every 18-24 months (he is not careful with them and he is heavy) so we usually buy the same mid line one for $150.

If I may ask what weight ranges are your SO's? Getting a bit worried about the future of my Howard :oops:.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is Howard a brand? Ours was an Ashley and is apparently crap. Which I really assumed based on the pricepoint....

DH is around 400. He's 6'4" though, so he looks a lot less fat than he "should" for that weight. I bought him an office chair that was supposed to be for up to 500lbs, though he has yet to put it together and use it, and it's been sitting in its box in our living room for nearly 4 years now. I know why though, he's afraid to destroy our floors. He refuses to go back down to the basement til it's totally refinished (we've had two floods due to rainwater sewer backups). So I don't blame him.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We bought a Flexsteel today, what I believe is called a Twilight. We ended up going with a microfiber that looked like aged leather. I actually liked it better than the pleather they offer. Apparently most lines no longer do actual leather unless it's like 6k or more.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My folks have always bought Flexsteel and they hold up well. We bought England twice and bought Flexsteel last time. We have had it almost 2 years now and it is holding up great so far. They are a lot more comfortable than the England.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My priority was that HE was happy and comfy with it and that it was long enough for him. I typically sit on the love seat (which still looks new and unused...) so he can sprawl out and be comfortable. And he was pleased with this, it was his favorite one of all they had. He didn't want a three cushion sofa again, since our current one literally has a MASSIVE hole where that middle would be.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to glom onto post, but does anyone have leads on inexpensive but not crappy couches?

We will need to replace/buy 2 couches. One we are hoping will be a click clack style sofa for the media room. It will be used basically as lounge couch for watching tv, as a bed 1,2x a year.
I am thinking of one of the Ikea sofabeds (like begginge)

We are moving our large (84") sleeper sofa into the office. In it's stead, in an effort to lighten and open up the living room, I would like a couch that is 80" or less, (but not loveseat size).

I've been looking mostly on Macy's. I would love to shop somewhere where I could sit on the sofa before purchasing. I'm in NC.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
if no one will actually hardly touch it, Ashley. But that's the brand that we have now which has the massive hole in it. No warranties were honored.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not exactly a ringing endorsement!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1344886357|3250761 said:
lol my point entirely! It's cheap, and ya get what you pay for!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1344873028|3250612 said:
Sorry to glom onto post, but does anyone have leads on inexpensive but not crappy couches?

We will need to replace/buy 2 couches. One we are hoping will be a click clack style sofa for the media room. It will be used basically as lounge couch for watching tv, as a bed 1,2x a year.
I am thinking of one of the Ikea sofabeds (like begginge)

We are moving our large (84") sleeper sofa into the office. In it's stead, in an effort to lighten and open up the living room, I would like a couch that is 80" or less, (but not loveseat size).

I've been looking mostly on Macy's. I would love to shop somewhere where I could sit on the sofa before purchasing. I'm in NC.

What kind of price range? I have heard good things about some of Ikea's sofas. You can google the reviews or go to the Ikea Fans website and do a search. I have bought and specified sofas from Macys and I only buy the sofas that come with frame warranties. I prefer at least a ten year warranty. There are reviews on their sofas.

Please, do not buy from Ashely's. I'm sure there are random people who like their sofas but they are really not good quality.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cousins that livei n Chicago have LOTS of ikea sofas (and one from restoration) and they look brand new after 8 years despite their children destroying nearly everything in their path. We don't have IKEA here (WHY!) so I would have to rent a truck or rely on someone to deliver for me.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
ame|1344887511|3250779 said:
part gypsy|1344886357|3250761 said:
lol my point entirely! It's cheap, and ya get what you pay for!
I am glad I ran across this thread. DH and I were looking at a couch and chair from Ashley.....looks like I am going to have to try to convinc him it's not the furniture for us. I wish there were an Ikea close to where we live, I wouldn't think twice about getting furniture from there.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The loveseat is fine but I'd say it's been used at most 3 or 4 hours a week, and that is generous bec I am the only one that uses it and I'm almost never in that room

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Part Gypsy, have you heard of Hickory Furniture Mart in Hickory, NC?

Here's the link: http://www.hickoryfurniture.com/default.aspx It's amazing! It's basically a mall featuring nothing but furniture stores.

We lived in NC for a year a while ago and we bought two sofas and our dining set from two different stores there. The sofas came from the Rowe store. Rowe is great quality (although I don't know how interior designers like Hera would rate it).

If you ever get the chance to check it out, definitely go. We loved it there and found the staff at various stores to be very helpful.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ame|1344898297|3250889 said:
My cousins that livei n Chicago have LOTS of ikea sofas (and one from restoration) and they look brand new after 8 years despite their children destroying nearly everything in their path. We don't have IKEA here (WHY!) so I would have to rent a truck or rely on someone to deliver for me.

My parents' Ikea has lasted over 25 years, 2 children and more moves than I care to count, and still look good.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents always bought Flexsteel and they lasted really well. We've had a couch and love seat for about 6 years and they are holding up great.

simonbarlow

Rough_Rock
I have recently used Flexsteel Furniture for work. They were friendly, very competitively priced and offered an excellent service.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
My inlaws have them. Sitting on it now in fact...8 years old and they are comfy and hold up great. My MIL said her prior sofas had been flexsteel too and she just got tired of them.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Pearson sofas and chair are 35 years old.
Although the fabric is outdated, they are still structurally sound.
My ex was 225 pounds and used to sit on them regularly.
They have 8-way hand tied springs (even in the seat cushions which are wrapped in feather and down).
They are all made to order and I ordered them through our interior designer in 1980.

http://www.pearsonco.com/furniture/sofas-and-loveseats.aspx

kgbtechie

Rough_Rock
I have had mine for 40 years. My fabric was had a rubberized backing so nothing really got through it. The foam is beginning to dry out, and should be restuffed, however, I wanted a couch that could withstand my twin boys and that I knew if I recovered, would not be a waste of money. I got exactly what I wanted. It has really withstood the test of time. Really needs new foam though lol It was worth every cent we paid, and for those days, it was expensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results