shape
carat
color
clarity

Vacuum recommendations other than Dyson

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to love our Dyson Animal but truthfully, I hate it. We've had it for about 7 years and it's time to buy something else. Our Dyson is too heavy and cumbersome, and it's almost too powerful. It always picks up long pieces of carpet that get caught around the roller/brush. We always have to untangle carpet fibers from it, which is often frustrating and takes too much time. The hose and attachments aren't easy to use. The hose isn't that flexible and it's hard to maneuver to easily vacuum couch cushions and hard to reach areas. Basically, it's an awful machine that I regret purchasing.

We'd like something that is:

a) lighter than the Dyson Animal
b) powerful enough to pick up animal fur but
c) gentle enough that it doesn't pick up too much carpet
d) comes with an easy to use hose that's flexible enough to reach hard to get to areas
e) doesn't break the bank. Dysons are just too expensive.

What brand would you recommend?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe, We have both the corded Dyson (I think we have the DC-65 but not sure and it is very heavy I agree though my dh vacuums mainly with that one but I use the cordless) and the cordless Dyson (DC-59) and I love the DC-59 so much I bought 2 of them for each home. It's light and has just the right amount of power. However, it is not cheap (though we got it at BB&B and got the requisite 20% off so not too bad) and being you dislike Dyson anyway here are some results from a search to help you get started.

From a quick read it looks like the Hoover Linx stick vacuum might offer some good features at a reasonable price.

Sorry I don't have any personal experience with these but I wish you luck in finding the right vacuum for you.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/vacuum-cleaners/best-vacuum-cleaners/

http://www.cnet.com/products/hoover-platinum-collection-linx-cordless-stick-vacuum/

ETA: Personally I want the iRobot Roomba 880 but that will have to wait lol.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Missy! I thought of looking at the smaller, thinner Dyon, but I'm hesitating because I think I want something else. I'm just too frustrated with our vacuum to deal with another one.

I was just going to look up recommendations on Cnet and CR, so thanks for the Cnet links!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1406036095|3718197 said:
Thanks Missy! I thought of looking at the smaller, thinner Dyon, but I'm hesitating because I think I want something else. I'm just too frustrated with our vacuum to deal with another one.

I was just going to look up recommendations on Cnet and CR, so thanks for the Cnet links!

You're welcome! I know how frustrating it is to get the right vacuum as I have been on what seems to have been an endless search for years now and finally am satisfied with the dc-59. Though there is no perfect vacuum that is for sure and I am sure more problems will make itself known to me the longer I use it lol. Isn't that the way things always seem to go. :wink2:

What I love about the dc-59. It's lightweight enough for me to use easily and sucks up the cat hair and dust on the first go around which is pretty awesome in my household with the 4 kitties. It goes over area rugs and hardwood floors easily transitioning b/w the 2. And though the charge is short (I think about 15 minutes or so) it is good enough for daily vacuuming for me. Biggest problem so far is that it doesn't give a warning light when it is almost out of power. It just goes dead. But I take that as a cue I did enough vacuuming for the day then haha. :bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you had any problems with the D-59 sucking up too many carpet fibers and then having to unwind/untangle a long string that's tightly wound around the roller brush bar (what's that called?)? That's our number one frustration, and according to Google searches, others have dealt with that too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1406036899|3718200 said:
Have you had any problems with the D-59 sucking up too many carpet fibers and then having to unwind/untangle a long string that's tightly wound around the roller brush bar (what's that called?)? That's our number one frustration, and according to Google searches, others have dealt with that too.

Yes but we have had that issue with all of our vacuum cleaners. I thought it was because we have such a large volume of cat hair and dust. :knockout:
My dh told me that you just have to make sure that it is cleared after each vacuuming if that makes sense. When he maintains it that way we don't have any real problems with it. I have to add that it is super easy to empty the canister after each vacuuming and simple to recharge.

ETA: oops, forgot to include these links in my first post. My brain is not functioning well these days, sorry!
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/02/best-in-show-vacuums-from-consumer-reports-tests/index.htm

http://bestvacuumsforthemoney.com/consumer-reports-best-vacuum-cleaners/

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look at the Electrolux Precision Brushroll Clean. It gets good marks from CNET or CR, forget which (maybe both?). Lower price, lightweight, and I found the design really easy to use. I hate vacuuming and want to do as little maneuvering as possible (plugging and unplugging, fetching attachments, bending down, fiddling with hoses, etc.). It was a pleasure to vacuum with! It had manual height adjustment which helps with pulling up carpet, and it says it has the brush roll clean feature, which I'm not sure I got the chance to test out.

My DH broke it after three weeks while vacuuming his car (he's not remotely careful with vacuums so while I didn't expect this machine to last 5-10 years, I think it had more to do with him than the vacuum).

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had an electrolux and still have my mom's which is about 45 years old, and it still works great. But when I wanted a new vacuum I went with Miele and have been very pleased. We bought the top of the line one because I wanted the controls on the handle but I think that is about the only difference. I have had it about 5 years. I have had canister vacuums. They are easy to manuver and great for stairs.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use a Miele canister....love it. had it almost 10 years now.
plan to move it upstairs and get another for downstairs.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We have the Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away. It is, by far, the best vacuum I've ever had. It swivels on a dime and is easy to use. It is an upright that can also be used as a canister (the tank "lifts away" from the upright part), which makes it great for stairs. I vacuumed with my old upright and then with this one, and you wouldn't believe the amount of stuff that came up. We have two long haired cats and this picks up all of their hair. It's awesome. I got it for around $200 off of the Home Shopping Network, and it came with a bunch of accessories plus a 5 year warranty.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your recommendations, Rainydaze, Luv2sparkle, and MZ. I've heard good things about Electrolux and Miele, and we'll check them out.

We have hard wood downstairs and in our hallway upstairs, and the bedrooms have wall to wall carpeting. Before moving here, our formal rental had wall to wall carpeting throughout. I'd like whatever vacuum we get to work well on a variety of surfaces.

Missy, I agree that emptying the canister of the Dyson is a piece of cake, it's just other issue we were having that prompted me to begin to think of getting something new.

ETA: Thanks for the recommendation, amc! I'll admit to watching a few Shark infomercials and I've been intrigued. Well, as intrigued as one can get over a vacuum. :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I have a Miele Bolero & it's great. I love that you can adjust the vacuum power, I think it has 6 or 8 settings, & do throw rugs without sucking them in. My house is Animal Fur Heaven & my vacuum picks it all up, plus the gungy dirt & mud the dogs track in that gets ground into rugs. They are not cheap -- & the bags are ridiculously expensive -- but I've had every kind of vacuum in the world, i think, and this is the only one I've really loved.

--- Laurie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really want a Meile. The service that used to clean our house used one and it was the perfect clean.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a rainbow from the 80's and I love it. I bought it at an estate sale for $300. I remember back in the day when my mom and my aunt had to have rainbows so they financed them and they were roughly the cost of a cheap car! My dad was not happy! :nono: The rainbow is not convenient but it's effective.

When I don't want the hassle of the rainbow I have a Hoover Wind Tunnel with the bag. It's light and does a good job on tile and carpet. It was pretty cheap too.

I may sound like a heretic but I just don't get the bagless vacuum thing. I had a bagless but every time I tried to empty the damn thing I end up releasing a bunch of dust, dirt and dog hair all over the place and then I had to sweep that up.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a huge fan of Dyson - which I know you didn't want to hear! Vacuums are like everything else though - generally the more you spend the better the machine. They are expensive and can be quite the investment but to me they are worth it. If you vacuum with a cheaper vacuum and then go over it with a more powerful vacuum, you'll easily see what the other left behind. This may not be so important on hardwood but I like the feel that my carpet is clean. I empty the Dyson every time I use it and I use it at least every week. It is amazing what I can get up after one week of two people and a non-shedding dog!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a Roomba (780 model) for daily cleaning and I only whip out the Dyson every other week for deep cleaning. I have a dog and two cats and I love the daily Roomba cleaning. I got mine at BBB with the 20% off and while still pricey (400) my floors are always clean.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I'm happy with my old Miele upright.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Like you, I have a Dyson and hate it. It's not ergonomic for me, I hate the sound when it gets something caught in it, I hate how heavy it is, I hate the sound it makes when it's put back in the upright position, I hate that you can't adjust the suction. I also have a Hoover that I'm not fond of. I have a Miele Callisto canister with the Power Brush that I like a lot for certain tasks. It's really well built, well thought out, and does an excellent job. I don't like buying the bags, and even on sale it was pricey.

I love my new Shark Navigator I bought for $150 at Costco just a few weeks ago after reading great reviews for it on Amazon. I liked it so much, I went back to the store and bought a second one for the weekend house. It had better reviews than the Navigator although I don't know how they differ, plus I like to buy from Costco because if there's a problem, I can return it. The Shark Navigator has great suction that's adjustable, it's lightweight and it really picks up dog hair. You can take off the canister and use an attachment for stairs that makes it even lighter. The one drawback that others mentioned in their reviews and with which I agree is that if you take off the hose and use an attachment, the vacuum falls over. It's annoying but I still love it and the price. I'm giving the Hoover to a niece, and the Dyson just sits semi-abandoned in the basement. The Miele is still great, but it's a two-piece and kind of heavy so I don't like carrying it up and down stairs and it stays on the main floor. The Navigator is much easier to carry so it gets use on every floor (we have a lot of stairs).

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have a dyson and at first I loved it but now, not so much. I am going with a Shark when the Dyson kicks the bucket. My Mom and sister both went with the Shark and they love it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is the dyson slim in your price range if you can find a BBB coupon that will work with it?

It's ligher than the animal and works pretty good.

Just curious b/c I tried to replace my Dyson with a Hoover and it rather obviously doesn't vaccum the house as well!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the additional recommendatons, JF, Gypsy, iluv, MGR, Asscher, Sky, rainwood, lknvrb4, and MC.

It looks like Miele and maybe Shark are the preferred brands for most. I just went to the Miele site to check out their prices, and yikes! I can't justify paying that much. Our Dyson was around $500 I think and seeing as how we hate it, I don't think that spending top dollar always guarantees satisfaction. I'll have to do some research on the Shark. We don't belong to Costco and I don't want to join just for that.

MGR, I do love how much fur, hair, dust, etc. my Dyson picks up, and I do feel better when I empty the canister and see how much stuff it picked up. It's just a little too powerful, I guess, and dealing with the hassle of untangling carpet fibers from the vacuum isn't worth the hassle to me. I thought of calling Dyson and see if there's anything they can recommend trying, so maybe I'll do that.

Asscher, I've wondered how well the Roomba works, and I'm glad you like yours.

Rainwood, my husband calls our Dyson a PoS, and he hates the same things you do.

MC, I've seen slim Dysons for about $200-$500. I need to do more research, and although I don't really have a particular price in mind, I'm hoping to spend less than $200-$300, tops.

siv1

Shiny_Rock
I also have a Shark Navigator Lift Away. It's extremely light weight, turns on a dime, easy to use on stairs and has several attachments with it. The rotator brush can be turned of when using on bare floors. I love it so much, I got one for my 89 yr old mother when she complained about her vacuum being so heavy to push on her plush carpet and bought one for my DIL. They both love them as well. I got mine online I think from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the recommendation, Siv!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought our vacuum based on using the one at my old job--a retail space with 2000 square feet getting vacuumed nightly. It held up so well being used commercially that when we bought our house 3 years ago I went to Menard's and bought it for ~$75. It sucks up all the pet hair, the filter is washable, it's bagless, and it's actually really light. You can see exactly what it's picking up. Comes with all the usual parts to clean walls, stairs, and furniture. I usually use the shop-vac on our stairs because it's just easier to tote up and down, though. Obviously you can pick up one of those at any hardware store for $20 probably. So $75 for 3+ years now=I'll take it, and when it breaks I'll keep it for parts and buy another one just like it. The one at work only broke because some of the guys were so hard on it, running it into fixtures all the time so eventually the plastic wheels would break off. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1406079998|3718717 said:
I use a Roomba (780 model) for daily cleaning and I only whip out the Dyson every other week for deep cleaning. I have a dog and two cats and I love the daily Roomba cleaning. I got mine at BBB with the 20% off and while still pricey (400) my floors are always clean.

Ooh this makes me want the Roomba more than ever! I am on the verge of pulling the Roomba trigger...just wonder if the Roomba 880 is worth the extra $$$.

You have gotten a lot of good suggestions here Zoe. I am sure you are going to end up with a good vacuum for you with all these excellent recommendations. :appl:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1406305620|3720542 said:
I bought our vacuum based on using the one at my old job--a retail space with 2000 square feet getting vacuumed nightly. It held up so well being used commercially that when we bought our house 3 years ago I went to Menard's and bought it for ~$75. It sucks up all the pet hair, the filter is washable, it's bagless, and it's actually really light. You can see exactly what it's picking up. Comes with all the usual parts to clean walls, stairs, and furniture. I usually use the shop-vac on our stairs because it's just easier to tote up and down, though. Obviously you can pick up one of those at any hardware store for $20 probably. So $75 for 3+ years now=I'll take it, and when it breaks I'll keep it for parts and buy another one just like it. The one at work only broke because some of the guys were so hard on it, running it into fixtures all the time so eventually the plastic wheels would break off. :bigsmile:

I forgot to link to it or tell you what it was. It's a Bissell Cleanview Helix: http://www.bissell.com/cleanview-helix-vacuum/

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Monnie! I'm glad you like your vacuum. I'll add it to the list of ones to check out in person.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Zoe just wondering if you've ended up buying your vacuum already and which one you picked, and what you're thinking about it...

I think I want a new vacuum too and I saw a couple of the Sharks at Target yesterday (I think they were the same ones some people say they liked here) but I didn't but one because I wanted to see but you had settled on and why...maybe it would help me make a decision, so there are so many choices out there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results