radiant shape, 1.02 carat,
clarity VS2
medium fluorescence
GIA certificated
Measurements5.64x4.91x3.79
table 73%
depth 77.2%

Here is the link
http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/102ct-fancy-intense-yellow-radiant-vs2-90737-15952

I am close to pull the trigger .but I am now hesitated due to the measurement, is 3.79 too deep? I checked the chart for 1 carat radiant, standard measured as 7*5 for 1carat,

while 0.5 is 6*4

Am i buying a diamond that weights 1 carat that looks like less than 0.5 carat?

Should i keep looking or pull the trigger?

Advice please

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
7mm by 5mm sounds closer to 1.5 ct than 1ct. However, yes, this stone seems to be cut deeper and with a very thick girdle, probably in order to maximize the depth of colour, which is simply beautiful.

Coloured diamonds are cut to maximize colour and weight retention, so it is something of a different beast from buying white diamonds.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm

I don't know enough about diamonds to comment confidently. I think you're not only loosing face up size from the 77.2% depth, but also the extremely thick girdle. Not sure how significant this is.

Seems like Lady Disdain beat me to the punch :tongue:

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1406211146|3719763 said:
7mm by 5mm sounds closer to 1.5 ct than 1ct. However, yes, this stone seems to be cut deeper and with a very thick girdle, probably in order to maximize the depth of colour, which is simply beautiful.

Coloured diamonds are cut to maximize colour and weight retention, so it is something of a different beast from buying white diamonds.

Thanks..

does this measurement a worth buy ? or With my 6k budge i should keep looking probabily drop down to fancy color?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all about balance and what you are willing to sacrifice. With FCDs, colour carries the most weight and thus are cut to retain as much colour as possible, whereas "colourless" diamonds are cut with a different set of priorities.

Deep stone
Pros - helps with better saturation
Cons - smaller face up size

Shallow stone
Pros - face up bigger
Cons - could be lighter or cut not as well (window or bigger tilt window)

In short, yes, 77% is on the deep side but the colour and performance looks good. Whether to snap this one up or keep looking is the risk you have to take. Who knows how long it will take to find that perfect stone that looks nice, isn't too deep and also within budget.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1406211769|3719770 said:
It's all about balance and what you are willing to sacrifice. With FCDs, colour carries the most weight and thus are cut to retain as much colour as possible, whereas "colourless" diamonds are cut with a different set of priorities.

Deep stone

Shallow stone
Pros - face up bigger

In short, yes, 77% is on the deep side but the colour and performance looks good. Whether to snap this one up or keep looking is the risk you have to take. Who knows how long it will take to find that perfect stone that looks nice, isn't too deep and also within budget.

Thanks , very helpful

Really needs to think this thrug..as it is quite some money

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1406211769|3719770 said:

Deep stone

Shallow stone
Pros - face up bigger

Hi Chrono, thanks again. One questoin now raised in my brain is is this radiant a good cut? How bad is the measurement?

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Size estimator says roughly around 0.87 Carat by carat weight calculator by dentritics.

Estimated Weight (Advanced Formula) 0.87 Ct
(0.78 Ct - 0.95 Ct)

I am paying roughly 5k6...is it a worth buy?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, you are using calculations based on "colourless" diamonds, which places priority on cut for maximum white light return. For FCDs, they are cut to retain as much colour as possible, so a deeper cut is not unexpected. If an FCD is cut like a "colourless" diamond, it will get a poorer colour grade and hence, sell for less.

The cut on the radiant is good (minimal leakage, nice brilliance and beautiful colour). Whether you think it is worth $6K is based on your criteria. It could be worth it to one person yet not worth it to another person.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Comparing to other fancy intense yellows, I would say that the price reflects the smaller face up size.

Ignoring the carat weight, is the size (in mm) what you want or do you think it is too small?

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1406219456|3719837 said:
Comparing to other fancy intense yellows, I would say that the price reflects the smaller face up size.

Ignoring the carat weight, is the size (in mm) what you want or do you think it is too small?

I havnt seen the stone yet . Honestly I have no idea how it looks? I checked round brilliant colorless stone and was able to see the size difference.

Is the price fair or a bit steep

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1406219199|3719835 said:
Again, you are using calculations based on "colourless" diamonds, which places priority on cut for maximum white light return. For FCDs, they are cut to retain as much colour as possible, so a deeper cut is not unexpected. If an FCD is cut like a "colourless" diamond, it will get a poorer colour grade and hence, sell for less.

The cut on the radiant is good (minimal leakage, nice brilliance and beautiful colour). Whether you think it is worth $6K is based on your criteria. It could be worth it to one person yet not worth it to another person.

Yes..it was colorless i used that calculator just to see how much difference it is compared to standard 1 carat . I saw comparison of round brilliant colorless diamond before of 1 carat vs 0.8carat in person. But never seen other shape comparison.

I love its beautiful color and minimal light leakage from the video. Just not sure if I am paying too much for a stone that looks like 10% less than 1 carat with this color grade in radiant shape

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The best way to tell is to take a look at it -- if you don't like it, you can send it back. As other posters have said, colored diamonds can't be judged by white-diamond standards because they are cut to different angles & dimensions to maximize the color. It may face up smaller, but the beautiful saturation & light return from that stone could make you forget that -- or not care.

Why not order it & see how it looks in person? Then you won't regret letting it go, however you decide.

Patrick704

Rough_Rock
You can ask them to do a comparison to other fancy diamonds they have in stock. They did it per my request so I don't see what they wouldn't for you. Good luck!

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Patrick704|1406239435|3720021 said:
You can ask them to do a comparison to other fancy diamonds they have in stock. They did it per my request so I don't see what they wouldn't for you. Good luck!

Thanks..I will..how to compare? compare with same shape bigger size or differnt shape looks like 1 carat stones?

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Radiants and cushions will be the deeper stones , Ovals and pears face up bigger

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cactus88|1406240504|3720040 said:
Patrick704|1406239435|3720021 said:

Thanks..I will..how to compare? compare with same shape bigger size or differnt shape looks like 1 carat stones?

Compare with whatever else they have in stock (within budget), regardless of size and shape. There just aren't many options, so one is left to pick the nicest of all your options. Don't worry about whether it looks like a 1 carat colourless diamond because you cannot compare an apple to an orange.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results