shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Remorse?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Have you ever purchased an expensive setting, or had one custom made, and then decided you didn't like it at all? I purchased an expensive Ritani setting once, and then decided the sidestones were too big and overpowered the center. Bought it for $3100, and sold it for about half the price!

I am coming up on my 15 year anniversary, and dh said I should look at a custom setting for my centerstone to bling up my set, but I'm just a simple solitaire kind of gal, I don't know if I'd want a fancier setting. I'd rather spend 3-5K on a centerstone upgrade. Make sense?

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I'd rather upgrade the center stone too. I prefer simpler settings because they always look good to me. More ornate styles I may like when I first see them, but when I go back to look again I've changed my mind.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it enough to upgrade your center stone? Maybe your DH thinks the current one is it.

I also like solitaire look so prefer to spend money on the center rather than setting.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, this has happened to me more than once! It has gotten to the point that I wasn't sure if I would ever find "the one" as I, too don't want an elaborate setting and would rather put the money to a larger stone. I adore my OEC, and I finally found "the one" setting that is simple, and yet showcases my diamond beautifully. The next step was to find an artist that I could trust and work with and now I am working with Maytal. My ring will be finished in a few weeks, and I am so excited!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1406234060|3719972 said:
Is it enough to upgrade your center stone? Maybe your DH thinks the current one is it.

I also like solitaire look so prefer to spend money on the center rather than setting.

Actually 3-5K is not enough to upgrade my centerstone where size would be noticeable. I have a 1.81 ct, and to see a noticeable difference, I'd probably have to get in the 2.3 ct range (1/2 carat more) which would probably be at least 10K more with same color and clarity specs. I think dh thinks current stone is it because I've told him that I'm happy with the size.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So would you want to up the budget to get to 2.3? I have 2.3 solitaire, it's a nice size ;)). Or would you upgrade or get another item in same budget? If you are a solitaire person, not sure it makes sense to change setting.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like your current setting?

To answer your question, when I first got it, I wasn't totally in love with one ring I had Julia Kay Taylor make for me. I do like it a lot now, but unfortunately I rarely wear it because 1) it's a bit snug, and 2) it gets a lot of competition from my other right-hand rings, most notably a James Meyer 3-stone diamond ring that I probably wear over 50% of the time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It happened with all my ER settings (and my second to last one was custom and very expensive) with the exception of my last setting. I am a solitaire girl but I love ornate settings on others. Just not so much on me for my ER. So I would go for the center stone upgrade if you have enough to do that.

jaysonsmom said:
Have you ever purchased an expensive setting, or had one custom made, and then decided you didn't like it at all? I purchased an expensive Ritani setting once, and then decided the sidestones were too big and overpowered the center. Bought it for $3100, and sold it for about half the price!

I am coming up on my 15 year anniversary, and dh said I should look at a custom setting for my centerstone to bling up my set, but I'm just a simple solitaire kind of gal, I don't know if I'd want a fancier setting. I'd rather spend 3-5K on a centerstone upgrade. Make sense?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't upgrade your setting if you don't want to. That much money can get you something lovely. Just shop around for ideas.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Now I'm thinking of upgrading my studs :devil: Not "THE" stud, but my BGD .85 tcw studs!
For 3-5K I can probably get to 1.5 tcw!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1406233161|3719963 said:

Yes I'd go that route, but will the current setting fit a bigger stone?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found that I like simple settings the best on my hand. No matter how much I think I want a more elaborate setting, after wearing for a month I always want to go back to a simple classic setting. I'd definitely put the money toward a larger stone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1406235755|3719985 said:

Actually 3-5K is not enough to upgrade my centerstone where size would be noticeable. I have a 1.81 ct, and to see a noticeable difference, I'd probably have to get in the 2.3 ct range (1/2 carat more) which would probably be at least 10K more with same color and clarity specs. I think dh thinks current stone is it because I've told him that I'm happy with the size.
I'd love this stone.. :wink2:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.283-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104052377001#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/4/

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Not really remorse. Some disappointments; as the design was perfect and I choose the shape, it is just too bulky. Is that the same thing?

The custom setting for my yellow sapphire/demantoid garnet ring is simply too heavy. Beautiful design, but as I like things rather streamlined...... Never thought I'd say any gold jewellery was too weighty... Gets lots-o-compliments, but, but , but....

cheers--Sharon

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have been thinking of a custom cushion halo for my round stone, with a plain shank.....got a quote from Victor Canera, then chickened out. I'm afraid of not loving the look since I really love simplicity, and it would be a pricey mistake!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1406248647|3720139 said:
jaysonsmom|1406235755|3719985 said:

I'd love this stone.. :wink2:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.283-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104052377001#!prettyPhoto[gallery2]/4/

I love the stone too, I'll have make monthly payments to afford this upgrade! It is way beyond my 3-5k budget!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1406262043|3720276 said:
I have been thinking of a custom cushion halo for my round stone, with a plain shank.....got a quote from Victor Canera, then chickened out. I'm afraid of not loving the look since I really love simplicity, and it would be a pricey mistake!
Me too, I can pick a setting in 10 mins.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1406262043|3720276 said:

Although I see a lot of halo, double halo, and diamond encrusted shanks, heads, and donuts, I like simplicity as well. I just like to see the diamond to be the center of attraction. I did make a mistake in the past where I took my 1.5 ct F-VS1 marquise and set it in a RHR with 2.32 cts of princess diamonds (there is a picture on PS somewhere). I don't wear that ring anymore because it is too gaudy. So I do know that I am in the minority here as far as my taste in jewelry is concerned but I am ok with that and don't feel that I need to copy what the other ladies are doing

If I were you I would prefer to upgrade the center stone myself. But whatever you decide I am sure it will beautiful.

Sometimes the setting can be reused. That is what I did, I traded my 2.05 D-VS2 oval for my current 3.01 F-SI1 pear and they just switched out the head.

Congratulations on your Anniversary. May you have many more happy years together.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is really sad to see a PSer spending $5k + on a custom setting and not loving it afterward.. ::) then what? ...scrap the $5K setting and start over or force yourself wearing a ring that you don't really love? and/or if you tell your DH he'll kill you.. :lol:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
This is a timely question for me, as I'm about to send my stone off to VC for its final home.

I debated spending the money instead on upgrading the stone (and I did do a mini upgrade of one grade better color, slightly bigger in size, and most importantly, an upgrade in cut quality), but in the end, felt that my tastes have moved away from having the stone be the sole star and more towards the ring as a whole- that both stone AND setting are equally important.

Having said that, I've never seen an Emilya in real life and his prices are a lot of money for me, so this is a BIG leap of faith on my part. I've tried on a bunch of halos and owned one with a sapphire at one point; I'm pretty sure I know what I don't like, and I'm pretty sure the Emilya has what I do like. I'm nervous though!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yes unfortunately this is me several times over. I'm still trying to find the one setting. I think SS is my answer but they are just to $$$$ for a halo these days. Gosh committing to the man was so much easier then committing to the setting.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stud upgrade sounds like a good choice because you'll be really going up in size.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not so much setting remorse, for a center stone, as I had a band ring custom made and it was beautiful but just didn't look good on me, didn't "feel" right on my hand, so I sold it for less than 1/2 what I paid. Sad.

Were I in your shoes, I'd want to upgrade the center stone instead of the setting-also being a simple setting girl, so I would just set aside whatever is affordable now that your hubs agrees to, and then add to it as I could until I could get to that 2.3 size.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have huge setting remorse for my CC garnet. It was a really expensive setting too and I'm not sure I can remove the garnet and re-use the setting. It gives me a headache and stomache ache so I haven't been back to the jeweler to check on my options. DH spoils me rotten but I don't know how understanding he's going to be if I admit defeat and start from scratch.

I just have jewelry remorse in general though. I traded in an antique ring to help with my e-ring and have regretted it ever since. It was a sweet setting and a damaged, but really lively stone. I missed it and missed it and decided to replace it. I finally found a tranny with good specs on Diamondzone and had it set in the cheapest setting they make. I didn't think I'd like the setting at all but I really do. The tranny I'm still adjusting to. It's just not the one I traded in. I have "the one that got away" syndrome I guess.

I have a few pieces I don't have any remorse about though. Love my Lily. Love my spinel. Love my studs.

I hope you find the setting of your dreams! Congrats on your upgrade!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1406292636|3720429 said:
Yes unfortunately this is me several times over. I'm still trying to find the one setting. I think SS is my answer but they are just to $$$$ for a halo these days. Gosh committing to the man was so much easier then committing to the setting.

Sarah, Your last sentence made me laugh. My husband always says he doesn't mind me changing rings as long as I don't want to switch him for a different model!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your initial thought of spending money to upgrade your diamond hints at what you'd rather do. I doubt I'll ever go custom again because you can't return it if you don't like it and until I get something on I don't know if I like it or not. Have fun shopping and deciding what to do for your upgrade.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results