shape
carat
color
clarity

Ashoka: I saw, I purchased, did I do the right thing?

love2liveatthebeach

Rough_Rock
Quick update: the ring is real! I just returned from the (supposedly well-regarded, independent) appraiser and it will take some time for her to do the research to complete the full appraisal as she doesn't often across Ashokas here in California. Aside from the reassurance that I got what I paid for I want a very thorough replacement value appraisal - having just gone through receiving replacement value of my previous ering I know how important it is and even more important/difficult with this rare branded stone.

But: the diamond is real, it checks out completely with the GIA certificate, it has the correct inscription, the ring is as described, etc. I'm so happy!

Thank you everybody for your insight and for reassuring me through this process - I felt a little strange buying my ering off EBay but you have me feeling pretty confident that I made the right choice of ring! Not to mention that I fell in love with it at first sight.

Next step for me is a resize. I want an excellent jeweler to resize and it will be somewhat tricky as it is pavé and I need to go down 2 1/2 sizes. I've searched through Pricescope and the best referral I saw is for Newport Jewelers. The jeweler is Victor Canera's cousin! (maybe this will be the closest I ever get to the real Victor Canera - sigh.) But if anyone has any other local referrals I'd appreciate them. The resources tab has what seems like a ridiculous number of jewelers in Long Beach but few in OC and to be honest I'm not sure how to know who to trust from that list? How are vendors added to the lists?

Also I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a size 5 platinum dainty (about 1.8-2mm) diamond wedding band, preloved would be great. So if you come across anything like that or have something to sell feel free to give me a heads up.

Thanks again all! I love this forum!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news!

You didn't see Patrick? Who did you see? And what was the problem?

What's your eternity band budget? I bought my platinum scott kay 2mm pave band pre-loved so I highly recommend anything from Scott Kay. And ebay has some nice ones often.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi OP!

I know you are in Orange County, but my jeweler in DTLA is amazing and has sized many pieces for me (some as big as a 9!!) down to a 4.5 successfully and without any issues. Let me know if you want his info.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. And your pics are better than the seller's!

love2liveatthebeach

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the compliments! I am really excited about this purchase!

Gypsy: I wish I could have seen Patrick for the appraisal, but (I mentioned this earlier but it was hidden in another post) unfortunately after looking at the calendar I just didn't have the time for the 3 hour round trip to Culver City during this essential 15 day return period. My young kids and work are sucking all of my time this summer! Although I am sure Patrick would have been excellent I feel confident in the independent and seemingly thorough appraiser I used that I at least got/will get the exact information I need which was: 1) verifying the authenticity of the ring when compared to the EBay listing - done! and 2) getting a truthful replacement value for an equivalent Ashoka as needed for insurance. She had done her homework on Ashokas prior to my coming in and gave me some good information so I feel like I'm in good hands.

As for the band, I don't really have a budget but as what I want is so small I would hope not to be spending much. I suppose it just has to be exactly right. This purchase has created a huge fan of preloved items out of me so I like that idea. I'll keep a look out for Scott Kay items, thanks for the idea!

Dollyanjuli: sure, I'd love a referral for a jeweler. As I mentioned I might not have time to get to DTLA anytime soon but would love to check them out just in case. Great to know they can handle a larger downsize. Thank you!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your pics are amazing, I don't think anyone would copy an Ashoka, as initially thought, I think you got a beautiful ring for an amazing price!!!! Congrats, let us know how you go with the resizing!!!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring.. !!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh I'm so jelly!

Consider sizing beads too if he's uncomfortable sizing down a full 2 and 1/2 sizes .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results