shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink diamonds VS pink sapphire for wedding band,

Sophie2788

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone as most of you know I received my whiteflash solitaire yesterday,
We rushed out to look at wedding bands still with the intention to order off whiteflash again however we wanted to get a feel for what we like, I have a few questions but I'll start out with a slight back story

So for a long time I've been almost 100% certain I wanted the whiteflash 7 stone band in .35ct total weight.
I am now 10000% certain that's what I'll be getting.

After trying on several bands (pave, chanel , curved etc) none of them spoke to us aside from the terrible quality of the stones they just weren't living up to my ring in general.
One of the places we went to happened to have a little clear box with .05ct alternating pink & white diamonds we both looked at them and just thought wow! She was kind enough to place them in a little clear bag and let me hold them up to my ring to get a feel of size and the contrast of the pink & white layed out next to my solitaire.
We instantly had made our decision that we would have a 7 stone with .05 pointers alternating pink & white either 3 pink & 4 white or vise versa (would prefer vise versa haha) well she gave me a quote on the pink melee and the cost of those 4 tiny stones (not including white stones & setting) was actually more than my whole engagement ring LOL! while I don't plan on cheaping out on this ring as it is a forever one I don't want to upgrade or re set my wedding band, where is my engagement ring I'll upgrade the stone slightly and have a new head built for my shank. I want to put the money in to this to have what I want.

So now for my first question and due to the fact that I don't plan off buying off this jeweler I really just want to hear I'm right here, lol
Ok so her melee were all i1's and I mean like they were nothing but inclusions and she is telling me that even due to the clarity grade it's a bargain to spend upward of $3000 for these stones bla bla and I'm like oh I don't want super included melee and she kept saying in stones this size it doesn't matter because you can't see the inclusions, I'm trying to tell her well it does matter because you can see them and it also is obstructing the light return this kind of made me a little angry as she kept saying no it doesn't matter you can't see them stones this size are just for detail (I can't stand stupid reasoning) but am I wrong in thinking that in melee size stones they should have s1 or better ? Or is she right?

My next question I emailed sheerah! (God she is amazing) I told her about my new venture for the wedding band and she is getting me quotes but she suggested pink sapphires as an alternative to the pink diamonds as they are more cost friendly which I love that she suggested this as well as offered to get quotes for both as I am not super rich and I don't think I can afford much more than my budget for this band which I'm not going to post what that budget is at this time while it's a fair budget it's not said jewler store's quote range. So I've never seen real pink sapphires in real life and sheerah sent me some pictures which look lovely,
In this case would you buy the sapphires or the diamonds and why?
If the pinks went over budget would you just get white diamonds or the sapphires & why?
I really feel as if my E ring has this look about it and I can't explain it other than it makes me sooo happy it's perfect (finally after all the indecision I've got a ring I love who would of thought the temporary setting would make me so happy?)
I think because the stone reminds me of something I've seen in the up market jewlers and not in chain stores usually when I see coloured stones used in these kinds of jewelers they are pink diamonds and I've only ever seen sapphires in chain stores I guess I'm concerned it won't have that same luxury feel / look that I'm after. I've never seen light pink sapphires in person so I'd love to hear everyone's views on what you think :)

Sophie2788

Rough_Rock
Here is my gorgeous ring image_2005.jpg

And here is the picture of the sapphire band sheerah sent ! Lovely isn't it? image_2017.jpg

Sophie2788

Rough_Rock
I think at this point the major difference I note is that the sapphires are less subtle than the diamonds and I really liked the colour of the pink diamonds :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In general:
Affordable sapphires have more saturated color than affordable pink diamonds. But pink diamonds (assuming they are decent quality, cut and clarity) are going to sparkle more due to refractive index.

Sophie2788

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply gypsy, I appreciate it, I think the thing I loved about the pink diamonds was the subtle colour as while I love pink I don't want to be "flashy" about it I'm a simple & subtle kind of girl, I hope they are able to make the ring in my price range but would love some more opinions & views :)

Cupcake_Panda

Rough_Rock
Hi Sophie :wavey:

I'm still very much a newbie who knows nothing about diamonds, but I LOVE color and am on a tight budget, so I thought I'd share my thoughts :)

I am using brightly colored melee in my ring with Green Lake Jewelry. They were able to provide me multiple tones within the same color(s) I wanted, so I could choose what was most appealing to me. For example, the below images show purple, traditional blue, and light blue sapphires, topaz, my pink spinel center stone, and green tsavorite garnets. I bet Whiteflash could do the same for you --- just let them know you want a soft, light pink, rather than a bubblegum! The Whiteflash sapphires in the picture seem to be purplish pink to me, when you might like a lighter toned pink, or even one that leans a little peachy or gray/silvery. Good Luck! I'll be cheering you on over in my little colored stone corner :D :appl:

7-18-2014_1-59-23_pm20140718020131.png

7-17-2014_3-55-32_pm20140717040411.png

Sophie2788

Rough_Rock
Oh wow cupcake panda thank you for those pictures! Your ring will be a total beauty! Yes in regards to the bubble gym pink my partner also agreed he liked the subtle colour of the pink diamonds :) I can't wait to venture in to this project!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I'm always amazed how vendors are quick to say to use pink sapphires in place of pink diamonds- like all pinks are alike. :rolleyes: Pink diamonds have a different look- they sparkle more, and the shading is just different. Even vivid pinks look nothing like sapphires! I don't agree with the vendor about the I1s. For that type of ring I would want SI1s for both sparkle and durability. If you want alternating pink and white diamonds and to maybe get it in a price range you can afford- make the band with smaller diamonds. .05s in a vivid enough pink to show up in white metal are very pricey- so look at .02s or even smaller.
eta to add pictures

pink_white_bands2.jpg

pink_white_band.jpg

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi. I was trying to decide between pink diamonds and pink sapphires as well when purchasing my eternity ring. I went with the Tiffany & Co. Platinum Legacy Diamond & Pink Sapphire Eternity and I am thrilled with it. The Tiffany pink sapphires in my ring are very light, clear, and sparkly stones. And, the Tiffany's pink sapphires have a very subtle look, which is perfect for what I was envisioning.

Sophie2788

Rough_Rock
Thanks ladies,
I definitely have my heart set on a .35ct total weight 7 stone so I definitely want 5 pointers I do want the light pink colour as well even If it is ever so subtle I can have it set in rose gold if I want to lift the colour, I will research some pink sapphire hues and the tiffany band for colour sake just in case we decide to go that route :) & thanks for the opinion in i1 melee! I agree 1000%

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want pink diamonds unless they are over budget
Then I would do the pink sapphires. They will look different
But either would be beautiful.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Sophie2788|1406208053|3719745 said:
Thanks ladies,
I definitely have my heart set on a .35ct total weight 7 stone so I definitely want 5 pointers I do want the light pink colour as well even If it is ever so subtle I can have it set in rose gold if I want to lift the colour, I will research some pink sapphire hues and the tiffany band for colour sake just in case we decide to go that route :) & thanks for the opinion in i1 melee! I agree 1000%

Can you show us the color pink diamond you want? It will make a HUGE difference in price. Light pinks or fancy light pinks will be pretty affordable in a .05 diamond- but won't show up as pink in white metal or will show as a very soft light pink in rose gold. If you move to fancy pink it will be getting quite a bit more expensive and will still barely show pink in white metal, but will be noticeably pink in rose gold, but still a soft very pretty pink (note the center stone in my orchid ring in the avatar is fancy pink). The other pinks in my orchid ring are intense pink- but itty, bitty!! If you want intense or vivid pink- well, at the way prices are going- you may need to sell a house for several .05s -lol. The pictures I showed you are probably using intense pinks in their bands as pinks really get drained of color in white metal and it pretty much takes at least intense pink to show up. You can also look at brownish pink melee diamonds. Sometimes the brown barely shows up in them and the price will be significantly lower. They will vary greatly with vendors. In fact all pink melees are not alike, so you'd want to see the actual melee diamonds being used. Since they are never GIA graded- what one vendor calls "fancy pink" may be another vendors "light fancy pink", etc.

Sophie2788

Rough_Rock
Hi sure, I'd say the colour I'm looking at is similar to the ones in this picture, now these are available for purchase at a price I can definitely afford for my ring but opinions are helpful, I really don't mind the subtle colour at all :)

image_2022.jpg

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you want bright colored pink, in order to save money, you may want to consider color-enhanced pinks which any jeweler can get from Stuller. Natural fancy colored pink diamonds, of course, will cost more and colors would have to be matched to the saturation you seek.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Sophie2788|1406211232|3719764 said:
Hi sure, I'd say the colour I'm looking at is similar to the ones in this picture, now these are available for purchase at a price I can definitely afford for my ring but opinions are helpful, I really don't mind the subtle colour at all :)

image_2022.jpg
they look brownish pink on my monitor so they shouldn't be terribly expensive. You may want to contact Caysie at CVB Inspired Design for a ring quote, too. I am having her make a ring for me with pink melee and she has access to some pretty pinks.

Sophie2788

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion pink jewel!
I'll wait to hear back from sheerah and go from there :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are also different pink sapphires. The natural ones will be a gentler subtler color while others may be more hot pink or garish. It depends. Right now I'm also working on a pink sapphire halo ring and I specifically requested baby pink natural sapphire not the heated super saturated pinks. There's a photo of the loose pink melee if you scroll halfway down this thread : [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-choose-settings-for-my-new-stones.203896/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-choose-settings-for-my-new-stones.203896/[/URL]

Sophie2788

Rough_Rock
Those are really pretty! Again I have the concern that the colour is too pink though, even though it's pale i think until I get my quotes I'm in the "heart wants what it wants" and nothing else will do but if hear wants what wallet doesn't then lord help me :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results