shape
carat
color
clarity

Packrat's yard pics 2014

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic eye for the landscape. Wow, this looks like a different house!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have loved seeing your pictures over the years, it really looks fantastic!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Minou!

Ha, Monnie, wouldn't that be something? I would totally cheese out if there were acknowledgement from a magazine! We get a little giddy anyway, when people complement the yard (which is why I do this every year hehe), I'd probably feel like I was high.

I don't even honestly think we had a real goal in mind when we started doing things to the yard. Well, the first goal was to take out the ugly crap around the house b/c the thought of leaving my parents incredible yard and having the one I did was horrifying. Then the goal was no kids in our yard and no pooping. Secretly, I liked that JD started to enjoy the gardening, b/c I loved it so much. It just turned into/evolved into something we did together and was fun and relaxing. The more effort we put into it the more relaxing and soothing it became. And there's always the chance if you drive by that we'll be chasing each other thru the front yard or spraying w/the hose..I've gotten pantsed in the backyard a few times over the years. There's a lot of wrestling. OMG one time before we had kids, we were in the front yard, he was digging a hole for something, and kneeled down to scoop dirt out so I shoved him over. Then we ran around the yard and he slipped-I tried to run by him and he grabbed my foot, so I went flying, arms and legs akimbo. And of course that's when people are out walking their dog and they're like..um...so yeah let's not walk by this house of crazy.

When JD worked at Tyson he was under stress like he'd never experienced before. He used to come home at night and walk around the back (we used to have solar lights all over) to help him calm down after work. It's become our decompression chamber.

Thanks Jennifer W, rosetta, moneymeister, lknvrb4! :wavey:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always love seeing pics of your house and yard. They're so pretty!

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That looks fantastic. And your pup is adorable!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1405780201|3716569 said:
Thanks Minou!

Ha, Monnie, wouldn't that be something? I would totally cheese out if there were acknowledgement from a magazine! We get a little giddy anyway, when people complement the yard (which is why I do this every year hehe), I'd probably feel like I was high.

I don't even honestly think we had a real goal in mind when we started doing things to the yard. Well, the first goal was to take out the ugly crap around the house b/c the thought of leaving my parents incredible yard and having the one I did was horrifying. Then the goal was no kids in our yard and no pooping. Secretly, I liked that JD started to enjoy the gardening, b/c I loved it so much. It just turned into/evolved into something we did together and was fun and relaxing. The more effort we put into it the more relaxing and soothing it became. And there's always the chance if you drive by that we'll be chasing each other thru the front yard or spraying w/the hose..I've gotten pantsed in the backyard a few times over the years. There's a lot of wrestling. OMG one time before we had kids, we were in the front yard, he was digging a hole for something, and kneeled down to scoop dirt out so I shoved him over. Then we ran around the yard and he slipped-I tried to run by him and he grabbed my foot, so I went flying, arms and legs akimbo. And of course that's when people are out walking their dog and they're like..um...so yeah let's not walk by this house of crazy.

When JD worked at Tyson he was under stress like he'd never experienced before. He used to come home at night and walk around the back (we used to have solar lights all over) to help him calm down after work. It's become our decompression chamber.

Thanks Jennifer W, rosetta, moneymeister, lknvrb4! :wavey:

Packie, I think all interested PSr's should write in and nominate your garden to be photographed and featured. The end.
I laughed so hard at your post above! My only goal was to just grow something successfully, damn it! We only pants each other inside; we're on a corner lot with no privacy fence, see, so I don't think the neighbors would approve. Plus...kids always around! Love what you mentioned about the gardening experience acting as a buffer between the nuttiness of reality/work and the soft landing of home. Growing stuff and manipulating it into a particular space so as to be aesthetically pleasing is just, PLEASURE. Viewing the culmination of your efforts plus the plants doing their thing to your liking is really sooo very gratifying, It's the one thing in my life I've found brings me this sort of profound satisfaction, whether or not it even ever works out as intended. I can relate so much to everything every gardener posts about, it honestly is nourishment for the soul!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too love seeing your pictures every year. It just gets better and better! You guys have done amazing things there. I appreciate the hard work - I know how hard it can be but you've got a huge payoff. Thanks for sharing - just beautiful!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, WOW! What a transformation. :appl: You have done a wonderful job on your yard. And the bit about it not being a lot if work....I don't believe it for a second. I also love to garden and know how much work and time is involved. All your hard work has paid off in the best possible way. When I was working it used to be my way to relax as well. I live in the Chicagoland area and the past few years have done so much damage to my yard. As you said, it's always a work in progress. I'm looking at ideas to change some things up for next year.

Can I come sit in your backyard and talk gardens with you and Monnie?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's it. Next GTG hosted by Packrat in her lovely garden. Great backdrops for selfies of our diamonds! :whistle:

Calliecake, I used to live in the west 'burbs. Now I'm a mere 4 hours south of you in Indiana! :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1405799311|3716701 said:
That's it. Next GTG hosted by Packrat in her lovely garden. Great backdrops for selfies of our diamonds! :whistle:

Calliecake, I used to live in the west 'burbs. Now I'm a mere 4 hours south of you in Indiana! :wavey:

Monnie, I live in the west burbs.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Zoe, Lorrisey and MGR!

Calliecake, by all means yes please come join us!

Monnie, luckily all the houses around here are one story, so nobody can see into the backyard over the privacy fence...well, at least until the neighbors put on an addition from the back of the house..now that room is all windows and faces our yard so we gotta keep it nice. 'Course they've been hearing "GAWD git *offa* me JEEZ!" for so many years now I don't think anything would faze them.

The back garden bed, the one w/the walkways in it (that I forgot to remind him to take pics from the roof), that back area is my favorite. There's so much in that space, and then having it inside the extended part of the back deck, the whole one side of the backyard is my fave. We're considering adding a pergola off the roof of the back garage, then we can put hanging baskets on it and more honeysuckle vines. And considering adding something to the center of the garden bed. There's a big square there, and I'd like to put another pergola over it with seating underneath.

In the front, the center tub bed is getting expanded a couple few feet length and width, there will be a landscape timber walkway all the way around the very inside of the yard to tie it in to the walkway of the garden bed in back, and then instead of grass, we're going to let the clover take over. We will get clover seed and a short meadow groundcover-ish mix and just let that crowd out the grass. Less mowing/watering, it will self fertilize, and it will bloom and be pretty. We plan to do that in the backyard too. I mowed before taking pictures, so you can't see the clover, but there's quite a bit. I figure, why spend all this time fighting it for a nice green lawn? We like flowers, let's embrace it and encourage it.

The back fence is being moved forward to line up w/the front of the back garage. Swing set will go, the pea gravel will be scooped behind the fence for parking. It will be seeded to clover and the wildflower groundcover. The honeysuckle vines that are kind of out in a random spot in the yard will be moved to the fence. All fence posts will be covered w/honeysuckle vines, like the one side of the fence has four vines on it already. The back corner then, when we move the fence, JD has grown tired of rolling his eyes at me and we will do fun things, like a TARDIS door, get the Star Trek themed hostas and whatever else I can come up with.

then once we finish the underside of the patio roof and put in some outdoor ceiling fans, we *should* be done. We can't see anything else that can be done out there at that point. Should just be nonstop green and color and blooms!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty!! :love:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! :love: :love: :love: Holy crap lady! You have such a nice big yard, so beautifully planted. I'm totes jelly. :mrgreen:

I know the feeling of being almost done. I'm there myself. I just have to move the raspberries to a different spot, add some more lillies to the flower beds, and put some damn weeping tile or something in by my apples, and I'm done. So weird. How will I go to the garden centre now? I've nowhere else to cram more things in. :blackeye:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Sky and JaneSmith!

Jane, it seems weird to think about being "done", I agree! We did discuss the possibility of when the kids are out of the house, digging up the two car driveway in the front and turning it to garden. We have the two car garage/shed in the back, so technically could use that for vehicle protection. Maybe we'll have more time to actually sit and enjoy the flowers!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, I have always loved your garden. You have done an amazing transformation on your entire house and it just keeps getting better and better. Your neighborhood looks so nice. I love every single thing you and JD have done. You both have some talent!!!

On a separate note, I loved the post that you left in the 'do you regret having kids' thread. I didn't post there, but your post was spot on. Great post. Just wanted to say that to you.

Your garden is like a great ring thread that you just want to come back and look at over and over.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks luv2sparkle! I like to have the yard compared to a great ring thread! Thanks for the thought on my post in the other thread too!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, Just wanted to say that aside from being an excellent Gardner, you are also an amazing mom! :angel: You children are very lucky to have you as their mom.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double post

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Your gardens are beautiful!! The before and after shots are amazing. You have done so much and it all looks perfectly planned and maintained. I envy your large yard.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat its wonderful! I went back and looked at all the threads and you have done so much work to make your place beautiful! I love your tractor wheels too. Did the barberrys keep dogs out of your yard?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw thanks, Callicake! Well, my kids certainly have the silliest and craziest mom..

Thanks swingirl and and redwood! The barberries did actually work a bit keeping stray kids and dogs out of the yard! 'Cept when they figured out to just go up the driveway...but there were a few times of secretly grinning a naughty smile when I'd hear a yip or OW! haha yeaaaaaaah quit pooping in my yard and peeking in my windows!

We love the wheels too...they are from the wagons when my dad's family came here. The tub was...great great gramma's? Great gramma's? I'm not sure how many great's there are in the life of the wheels and later on the tub. One of the things we benefited from, with my gramma's need to keep everything...I don't need the bag of 4000 plastic forks and spoons that you washed and saved over the years, gramma, but I sure would like to have the wheels and tub..

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks MC!

Adding pics of the back from the garage roof.

img_5224.jpg

img_5225.jpg

img_5227.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Goose had to be in some of the shots too.

img_5228.jpg

img_5229.jpg

img_5231.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results