shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own nicer jewelry than your boss?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
My old boss has a beautiful 2ct blinding white RB with I believe 25 pointers, 2 on each side. And a matching wband with the same size sidestones. Actually come to think of it they are probably closer to 15-20 because she has tiny size 3 fingers. Drove the same make car but hers was a SUV and mine was a sedan.

Now I would say I definitely have the most sparkly bling in the department lol. Cars - hers is newer and funny enough one of the part time staffers bought the same car as mine a few weeks ago but hers is new. I don't mind used/certified cars (or diamonds!) though :)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
... And DF opens up another can of worms. :lol:

Do you own nicer jewelry than your boss?
Yes, and nicer than the boss's wife's jewelery. Spending money on good jewelry is apparently inappropriate in the eyes of these stuffy small town people. Whenever I get some snide comment about what I spent my money on, I just grin ear to ear and say "Hey, I'm single, not Amish." They can't argue with that. I've given up trying to pass for a small town homemaker. :rolleyes:

drive a nicer car than your boss?
No, but I drive a bigger diesel pickup. Not a candy-assed half ton. Nobody dares to mention it, except "If you ever want to sell it, let me know." Sure thing, will do. :bigsmile:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know. I think I own less than she does and have newer jewellery than she does and probably stuff of more value. I think my boss is a secret jewellery lover and at a guess is the current owner of her family's jewellery. She has this mother of pearl brooch she wears a lot that I admire and a few other things. I think she comes from or married into a middle class family so I definitely wouldn't expect large diamonds, too flashy, but more the nice daily things that previous generations owned and wore. I envy her collection but dislike my boss with a passion so never comment on it.

Nicer car? I don't know. I ride a bike to work and she rides the bus.

My answers to this thread have definitely made me realise that neither of these questions mean anything about our wealth or even how we chose to spend what little bit we may have, but rather our status. How very British!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Mine clearly enjoys jewelry, but she wears mostly handmade or wood bead jewelry. Once in a while some pearls or an enamel brooch. She has a few smallish diamond rings and perhaps a sapphire solitaire, but she seems to see jewelry as an accessory to embellish an outfit more than she's interested in having a giant rock. She frequently compliments my jewelry at work though.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I work for two doctors. I drive a nicer car than both but they're not into cars or anything flashy. They stash their cash. One of the doctors will blatantly ask why I choose to spend my money on what I do if he sees me wearing a nice piece of jewelry. I actually do not ever wear my engagement ring around him because I know he'll judge. I'm even uncomfortable when he sees me pull up to work in my car....

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Jewelry: yes, better than anyone that works in my agency, save maybe one counselor. She has a beautiful princess cut 3 stone, I think with a 1ct center, and likely 1/2 ct sides in platinum, but her wedding rings are all she wears.

Car: Same parent company, same options, mine is a few years older small SUV, hers is a newer sedan. I would say hers is worth more, though they're not really very comparable.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and yes, based on what I see her in. Who knows what she has outside of work.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewellery: definitely! My boss has a small filthy 80's diamond set and she wears cheap gold hoops. No idea what kind of car she drives! She is totally lovely though. :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My boss was a man and my jewelry was MUCH nicer! :razz:

--- Laurie

Ximena

Rough_Rock
Exact jewelry, identical cars DF. :shhh:

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Yes and No, my partner was a man who liked fancy cars. I'm glad to see that several women in here are their own boss :clap:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, since I work with a bunch of rubes, yes-my jewelry is way better.
None of them has a clue about fine jewelry, and occasionally when I find a "teachable moment" with one of them about diamonds or colored stones, they usually look at me like a am loony. Some of my co-workers mention diamonds, but when we get into any discussion, I soon find out that they know nothing. It's a lonely existance.
Thank goodness I can come here to be with you guys!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results