shape
carat
color
clarity

The perfect ring on a modest budget. Help please!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SouthernCharm|1405995603|3718002 said:
E B said:
Good Old Gold could probably put something together for you pretty quickly. An option could be asking them what prong-set halo settings (they're a Gabriel retailer) they could put this in for your budget:
I have contacted Good Old Gold so we'll see how that goes if they respond tomorrow. I LOVE that ritani setting, but it's a little over an hour to the nearest dealer so if I order from them is it pretty reliable that i'll still love it?

Niel said:
ask him if he can take it down to your budget if you're ok with the I1
And that ring is absolutely stunning as well, I just can't let myself get past that huge feather. I don't think she would either. She's going to look at it 24/7 when it hits her finger and I don't want her to notice that :( .

I feel like I'm so close! I'm ready to finally make a purchase and show it off to all of you who have helped guide me!
He also has that same ring already made with a half ct cushion for under 3k if you were interested.

Ritani has a nice return policy you could just order it and have it delivered you don't need a ritani dealer near by.

E B

Ideal_Rock
SouthernCharm|1405995603|3718002 said:
E B said:
Good Old Gold could probably put something together for you pretty quickly. An option could be asking them what prong-set halo settings (they're a Gabriel retailer) they could put this in for your budget:
I have contacted Good Old Gold so we'll see how that goes if they respond tomorrow. I LOVE that ritani setting, but it's a little over an hour to the nearest dealer so if I order from them is it pretty reliable that i'll still love it?

I think it'd be worth it to see it in person if you're nervous about getting it just right. Like Niel said, delivery is a possibility too but I'd check with a rep and make sure you can send it back for any reason, and ask about the inclusions/request a photo (if you go delivery). Here are some real pictures of the setting on a hand (scroll down to bkalli's posts, she posted pictures of the setting before the diamond and with it finished):

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ani-setting-cushion-halo-round-strone.185292/

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
When I let her try on rings to gauge how she felt about size , she fell in love with the .75 ct with halo look. That's why I wanted to stay as close to the .75 threshold as possible. It seems like the perfect ring for her is always coming up just outside my budget. I love that setting Niel but to get the better stone would stretch me too far. It's so frustrating being poor! Haha..

EB, that ritani is beautiful as well. I imagine I'll contact them tomorrow and see what I can do.

Side note, I like the cushion halo on the round just as much as the round halo and think she would too. Is one preferable for the size stone I want? I guess I just want the illusion of bigger and wow factor when she shows it off..

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If you will consider second hand (many of us do here), here are some options.

Beautifully cut branded diamond and setting. Although not really a halo, I think the style matches what you are describing. The auction is over but it didn't sell. You can email them and find out.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mayors-Cushion-Cut-Amorique-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-0-76-F-VS1-/111407054790?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AVRI&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Hdhqyhi3CwjdXZSLNG2MsqClaJc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-62tcw-Cushion-Cut-White-Gold-14k-Diamond-Engagement-Set-GIA-Certified-SI1-G-/121353453553?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AVRI&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Hdhqyhi3CwjdXZSLNG2MsqClaJc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

There is one ring that was listed over and over again that I think would be right up your alley. Of course, I can't seem to find it right now.

PS: The cushion diamond Neil linked is super gorgeous although it will face up a bit smaller due to the depth.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously, work with GOG and go with the Gabriel halo, round diamond in the cushion halo. You will be very happy. I would never ever consider an I1 stone for an engagement ring. Just tell them your budget and that you would like to get as close to .75 as you can. When I started looking I also wanted a .75 but with the halo, it really adds finger coverage. we liked the .65 with the Gabriel halo. My ring size is 5 and I actually thought the halo was too much coverage! We ended up not getting that ring because my husband knew I wanted an antique ring and the Gabriel one was what he liked and knew I wouldn't be happy unless I got a true antique. If the hubs didn't get the antique ring I would have wanted him to get me the Gabriel!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many choices and I am impressed by all the thought you are putting in to this decision. You are not a bother to anyone so please come back with photos after you choose!

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
BN is out since it'd take too long to get the ring..and she also is not a fan of the colored stones or antique look. She wants the band to be simple..just with diamonds haha.

GOG suggested a beautiful setting but the diamond they suggested was SI2 and pricey and that seems risky without seeing it..

So that didn't leave me any closer. And I was hoping to purchase this week. I'm imagining my options are getting down to JA or ritani ?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SouthernCharm|1406218658|3719829 said:
BN is out since it'd take too long to get the ring..and she also is not a fan of the colored stones or antique look. She wants the band to be simple..just with diamonds haha.

GOG suggested a beautiful setting but the diamond they suggested was SI2 and pricey and that seems risky without seeing it..

So that didn't leave me any closer. And I was hoping to purchase this week. I'm imagining my options are getting down to JA or ritani ?

Did GOG say it was eye clean? They are a very trusted vendor and will be upfront and honest with you... and they sell great stones. :))

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
I contacted GOG to inquire about the stone being eye clean. I've spent hours scouring again tonight and I find myself continuing to come back to the JA settings at 900 and 1150. Those are 14k gold, what is the advantage of making it 18k instead?

This is about the size I'm shooting for and I love the look of this ring.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/18k-white-gold-petite-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-41038

Almost crunch time!

Should I contact JA and ask about some stones? I've read that I get serious inquiries on 3, right? Now, which 3? Also, does JA not do a cushion halo with a round stone? I was curious about how it'd look from them. Opinion on if the round or cushion halo is preferable with round stone?

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
Game week bump..

I got a recommendation to go to a jeweler this past Friday and speak with an ICGA and Graduate Gemologist from a friend of a friend. I could not have been happier with the ordeal. I spent over two hours in the shop with him talking about rings and stones and he could not have been more impressed with the amount of research I had done. I think he was about ready to hire me!

We tried to find an in-house ring and just couldn't do it. He brought me a loupe so we could look together and he'd pick up a ring and say "nope" right along with me. There was just one that became a serious contender, but it was a .91 center round on a .8 mounting and priced at over $7,000. He got the owner on the phone and treated me like a VIP because of who referred me to him and the owner was very generous in coming off the price, it was just still outside of budget. His offer to me was less than he had invested in the ring..it was so discouraging to not be budgeted for it. It was a beauty too, he nor I saw any inclusions, it was incredibly right and blinded you inside the store and outside of it. We even tried to switch the stones and go for somewhat more affordable of a diamond, but the second best we found was still out of budget. But I am incredibly grateful for the trip as I learned:

1) Micropave is not for me. As pretty as they are they look incredibly delicate and almost flimsy. I don't want her to be terrified of the ring she's wearing and I'm pretty sure she would be. The ring I loved measured over 2.5mm on average, those micros I looked at were in the 1.3-1.5 range.

2) I am definitely ok with dropping to a J in color if necessary. He brought out a case of diamonds with the color ranges and the J appeared plenty white with just the slightest hint of a warmth to it.

3) I'm not nearly as terrified of inclusions when looking at diamonds online. Looking at feathers and spots on an image the size of a piece of bologna is 1000x more intimidating than looking at tiny white pepper spots on a 1ct stone. As long as it isn't dark or cloudy, or overbearing on the image, i believe I can manage.

4) I'm ready to buy a diamond!!!

Now, I still love that JA setting in my previous post and unless one can immediately trump it and still be here by Aug 9, then that will be my ring. It's 2mm which I think will be a happy middle ground between the micros and the beast that I loved.

I am open to expanding the budget to $4000 max (hopefully less...) to get all of the center stone I can get. If slightly larger, great! I'd like to get the 18k setting, so that leaves roughly 2800 max for stone which I'm hoping is more than enough to get the prize she deserves.

Since I'm hoping for ring to be in hand, I'd like to stick with JA for the diamond unless someone pops in with a similar setting and stone from a vendor who can deliver in time.

Please help me get through this final push as I am ready and excited to get this done! :pray:

Thank you all!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Just want to say how impressed I am at all the research and thought and time you are putting into this. Her ring is going to be knock-your-socks off pretty.

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
Thank you ,apacherose, I hope so!

And thank you as well Niel! I was hoping I hadn't lost your input! What a beautiful stone and so much under budget! Any concerns with that? I calculated the HCA at 1 so I'm really excited. I contacted JA and am just awaiting their response..

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SouthernCharm|1406645412|3722548 said:
Thank you ,apacherose, I hope so!

And thank you as well Niel! I was hoping I hadn't lost your input! What a beautiful stone and so much under budget! Any concerns with that? I calculated the HCA at 1 so I'm really excited. I contacted JA and am just awaiting their response..
Its under budget but right around normal for that color/clarity/size.

Of the Js above .7 that was my favorite and it just happened to be in your original budget lol.

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
JA responded and asked if I wanted to select the two others for my 3 diamond idealscopes. Any other suggestions as to which to choose ?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SouthernCharm|1406650020|3722590 said:
JA responded and asked if I wanted to select the two others for my 3 diamond idealscopes. Any other suggestions as to which to choose ?
Ask your rep if that one already has idealscopes. I posted it to you back on a previous page and then I went back to check it and it wasn't available. Makes me think it already had an idealscope done in it. If so, then you could review it now, not have to wait 3 days, save you time

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
I asked what you just suggested, waiting for reply. Prior to reading your suggestion of asking if one is available, the rep said that if I choose to get the idealscopes completed before order, it will take 5 days to get them, which would push me beyond having the ring in time for the 9th. Have I waited too long? :(

Is it even possible to select a diamond you know will be great with or without idealscope?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SouthernCharm|1406653764|3722623 said:
I asked what you just suggested, waiting for reply. Prior to reading your suggestion of asking if one is available, the rep said that if I choose to get the idealscopes completed before order, it will take 5 days to get them, which would push me beyond having the ring in time for the 9th. Have I waited too long? :(

Is it even possible to select a diamond you know will be great with or without idealscope?
If you had gone with ritani or BN you would have only been able to go by numbers. They don't offer asets or idealscopes you'd be fine if you feel comfortable with the numbers and how it looks.

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
If JA is one of the top vendors then I have no problem buying without the idealscope. As long as everything measures up fine and that's the best I can do for my money. I'm trusting you haha

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone is nice, if TIME was a major priority I'd go in blind. And I mean it's not too blind. You can see it. And you know the numbers. But its your choice. ::)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SouthernCharm|1406674569|3722783 said:

Yay!!
What's the timeline?? Were you under budget?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought you might like this photo. The pendant is .7 and the ring center is .84. Hardly noticeable size difference, and that's on my 7.5 sausage fingers. Plus no halo. It'll blow her away.

uploadfromtaptalk1406675130482.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yaaaayyy!!! Glad you bought a stone, OP! Now, which setting did you decide on??

SouthernCharm

Rough_Rock
Niel said:
What's the timeline?? Were you under budget?
"98% chance of having it in hand on August 8th" Which will be phenomenal as we leave for vacation on the 9th. And thank you for the image, it is quite reassuring! I hope she loves it.

msop04 said:
Now, which setting did you decide on??
I went with the halo setting from JA, this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/18k-white-gold-petite-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-41038

And with the stone price, I bumped up the setting to 18k, and still came in 200 under budget. Hope it's a winner! Might even spring for flowers during the proposal now :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results