shape
carat
color
clarity

Brian Gavin Blue

optimizedlife

Rough_Rock
I've been researching mostly 1.5-1.8 G/H/I VS1/VS2/SI1 so far. Found some candidates.

But I'm now getting enamoured with the BG Blue line. I like the uniqueness...it's really cool, and I love a slight blue tint. Problem is I don't have any around to see if SHE does. When I sent her the page her response was "Aren't they a bit kitschy, cheap and gimmicky?". I responded that no, I didn't think so...there just aren't many of them and/or not marketed heavily.

Is that the case? What's the general feeling about them? Honestly I think as long as it's beautiful I don't care about anything else and really I think she thinks that to, but I can see her concern for having an 'inferior diamond' because it has a blue tint or something.

Can I reassure her and be correct about it?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally saw a fluorescent diamond in May (not BGD) and my husband thought it was awesome and I thought it was interesting but not what I wanted for my ering. It certainly looked different to me. When the jeweler showed it to me I immediately asked if it was fluorescent because it looked so blue to me. We checked the GIA certificate and sure enough it was.

IMO, I think it's something you really like or you don't and if your girl friend doesn't seem thrilled about the idea then I would not buy her one for her ering.

Just_Starting

Shiny_Rock
It shouldn't show up in most lighting conditions anyway. I too am currently looking at the BGB line, however I want a very strong blue F-H colour diamond and most the ones on there within my budget are medium-strong. Diamonds that show a decent amount of fluorescence are rarer than those that do not. Note that the 'blue' fluorescence may show up as violet or a similar colour. Medium or less fluorescence has a minimal impact on the price of a diamond but strong/very strong can reduce it 10-20% I think.

If she doesn't like the sound of it I wouldn't push it as you'd probably never hear the end of it whenever the fluorescence shows up in sunlight lol. A lot of people on here think fluorescence is cool and seek it out. With the BGB line the diamonds do not have any of the potentially negative (rare) side effects of fluorescence, milky/hazy look (they are checked and eliminated for this). Fluorescence diamonds are cheaper because most people don't understand it, including some people that sell diamonds. Also the term 'blue-white' was abused in the past. Blue-white were supposed to be diamonds that were say F colour and the fluorescence made them look even whiter than say a D (usually medium FL). However a J diamond with strong fluorescence may have been sold as a blue-white and you may have thought you were getting an H when it is a J. Also one more thing to consider, when labs grade diamonds the grading may be increased artificially because the fluorescence can make the diamond appear whiter. So even now with a GIA/AGS lab report you can still pay for a colour that is higher than what you actually receive, though this is usually factored into the price by reputable sellers.

Here's a thread with some pics that people have kindly uploaded that may interest you:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blue-enough-for-me.204058/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/blue-enough-for-me.204058/[/URL]

Also note that the 'blueness' of the diamonds seem to be exaggerated in the pictures/video in that thread, which is why I don't want to settle for medium since although it looks amazing in the video, it won't look like that often.

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
Medium blue or less will be hard to notice unless in a disco. It's quite subtle. Many people have diamonds with some degree of fluorescence and don't even realize it. When you get to strong or very strong blue fluorescence then you will notice it more. If she's not sure about the idea, keep the engagement ring faint or none and maybe a strongly fluorescent diamond will be ok in another piece of jewellery down the road! (Eg: a 3 stone anniversary ring!) :lol:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that blues are cool but I would not want one as my ER or an important RHR. But I think as a pendant, studs or even a push present for a boy is OK.

optimizedlife

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the thoughts.

I discussed it a little with her and she's intrigued by the idea now :) They are a bit unique and not 'standard' so there is something a bit appealing there to both of us. I think she is just worried people will perceive it as 'fake' or 'cheap' or 'manufactured' if it demonstrates any blue, say in sunlight or near other UV.

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
There are a lot of threads and pictures on PS on the topic of blue fluorescence. You should show some of them to her if she is intrigued. Knowledge about the topic may ease her fears. There are many on PS, myself included, who look for blue fluorescence in the diamonds we choose for ourselves.

optimizedlife

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I think I read most of them before posting this. I'm trying to keep her away from here though :) She wants this to be my decision, but I have to involve her at least some if I'm getting her a glow-in-the-dark diamond ;-)

ElleElle

Shiny_Rock
lambskin|1406082562|3718738 said:
I think that blues are cool but I would not want one as my ER or an important RHR. But I think as a pendant, studs or even a push present for a boy is OK.
I agree!!! Just cause you think it's cool, she may not.

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
Seriously, if she's hesitant then stick to faint or none. PS is about the only site I found that talks about blue fluorescence without saying to avoid strong & very strong blue fluorescence. This is actually how I discovered this site, researching the topic. If you want to keep her off of PS then you probably should give up the idea of getting one.

Just_Starting

Shiny_Rock
optimizedlife|1406083353|3718748 said:
Thanks very much for the thoughts.

I discussed it a little with her and she's intrigued by the idea now :) They are a bit unique and not 'standard' so there is something a bit appealing there to both of us. I think she is just worried people will perceive it as 'fake' or 'cheap' or 'manufactured' if it demonstrates any blue, say in sunlight or near other UV.

Well that may be the case, certainly if she doesn't wear it in a way that shows she wants that feature. So, if every time someone notices it she doesn't make it out to be a positive then surely it will be perceived negatively. On the plus side, it's a good way to check the diamond hasn't been switched when you take it for cleaning etc.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like a number of PSers I own a BGB and it's my e-ring. I live in Florida so I'm in the sun often. Here's a picture in the direct sunlight.

My diamond is an "I" with SBF.

vc__amp__bgb.jpg

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock
My ERing is from the Brian Gavin Blue line. I got sniped on the diamond I originally wanted and the alternative was the same but without Flour. Turned out, I really liked the idea of Flour so I actively picked one from the Blue line.

Mine has Medium Flour (I have to shorten that word, because I cannot spell it no matter how many times I look it up), and you can't tell in day to day light. Only in incredibly strong sunshine can you even see a tint of anything and I LOVE it. I've never seen it as a minus, I look at it like, it's a diamond with a little something more (I really do see it as that much of a positive) and I tell everyone who comments on my ring that its got Flour.

2013-12-08_14_0.jpg

Forgive the indulgent picture- but that is a medium blue (0.8 so much smaller than you're looking) in normal office lighting. No tint whatsoever, just lovely sparkly diamond!

I think you can tell that I like the BGB?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I have an Old European Cut that I bought in 1993. It's I color. It has medium to medium-strong blue fluor, but I honestly never even noticed the fluorescence until I found Pricescope and thought to check my old diamond rings with a blacklight. The appraiser back then didn't check it for fluorescence, either, so there was no comment about it on the appraisal. It just always faces up really bright white in daylight. Never bluish or violet or anything. If it were D or E with that much fluor, maybe I'd notice some blue or violet in daylight? I don't know.

Bailey_Lou

Shiny_Rock
I had a strong blue Fluor diamond from WF for a solitaire. You could never tell unless in black light. It was already an excellent cut stone and I feel that you get an extra discount on a great stone. Most people are not really knowledgeable about fluor and b&m stores denigrate the feature (for their rock candy looking diamonds *snort*) so score for us fluorescence lovers :) Also my stone would turn a baby blue color in strong sunlight instead of turning dark.

optimizedlife

Rough_Rock
BTW, Steph, nice looking stone! I really like the subtle blue tint personally. It's character. As long as the fire/sparkle/light return is the same as a non blue then I see no reason not to go with some fl and go up in size :)

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
optimizedlife|1406167904|3719533 said:
I really like the subtle blue tint personally. It's character. As long as the fire/sparkle/light return is the same as a non blue then I see no reason not to go with some fl and go up in size :)

Smart.

For what it's worth, all of the stones I purchase possess fluor. It's something I actively seek out.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have a cushion brilliant that has very strong blue and this is what it looks like in the direct sun, I don't mind at all.

2014-07-22_09.jpg

crr243

Rough_Rock
I'll just post some experience from a recent BG Blue customer...

I recently bought the following diamond and received it yesterday:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.885-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104071920010

It's mounted in a 3-stone with paired BG Signature H VS2 sides with no fluorescence. I just took it out under my office lights and all 3 stones look identical in color. The yellow-ish office lighting gives the diamonds a bit of a faint yellow hue, but it's only noticeable if you're picky and looking for it.

I then took the ring outside. In indirect sunlight and in shade, the diamonds all look the same and pristine white to me.

Lastly, I walked into direct morning sunlight. All three diamonds look identical and look like there might be a really faint blue tint. Yes, all 3, even the side stones, but it's hardly noticeable and probably only there because I'm looking for it. This might be my mind playing tricks on me.

I have no regrets on the MB fluorescence.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a D color 0.74ct RB w SBF, and I love it! It can get a little blue in the sun, but that's what I love about her. :)

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelsbyGrace has a 2.51 BGB for sale. I look at it at least every other day. I think it's gorgeous, but I don't have the budget. I think the blue makes it unique.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bailey_Lou|1406134385|3719151 said:
Also my stone would turn a baby blue color in strong sunlight instead of turning dark.
I have never thought about that! It's a great point :sun:

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have an E cushion with SBF. I got my nails done for the first time in forever and got this picture while my hands were in the dryer. My nails had clear polish (the Gelish kind) and my diamond is obviously clear, so I thought it was pretty neat to see the glow.

_20624.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results