shape
carat
color
clarity

Ashoka: I saw, I purchased, did I do the right thing?

love2liveatthebeach

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am a typical newbie who has nothing but the utmost respect for all of you who are posting here regularly. You have enormous expertise and I love how eager you are to share your wisdom! I have been lurking for a couple months now ever since I lost my engagement ring and received insurance money with which to shop for a replacement. I have learned so much about diamonds, especially about the cut, and all of this information has me itching for something really fabulous!

I decided to put my new ering purchase on hold for a couple years until we can afford my dream ring: probably a 2-3 carat Signature Cut cushion in a Victor Canera setting. Meanwhile, I purchased a very pretty shared/single prong eternity band with .15 pointers to tide me over while I wait.

Except, I've become a Pricescope addict. And the more I read the more I have been looking around at all of the pre-loved places: here, Loupetroupe, DiamondBistro. And EBay. Not really looking for anything specific, just getting ideas of what I like. However, last weekend after cruising around Pricescope and learning a bit about the Ashoka cut (which I have loved on first sight), I came across this EBay listing, consulted briefly with DH who was a fan of the price and bid for the close early the next morning:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-09-TCW-VS2-Ashoka-Diamond-Solitare-Engagement-Ring-w-accents-GIA-Certified-/221487714158?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=knWwqRlQLRdp08MxX6e9PrQfCSI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

What do you think? The photos are terrible (I did get a couple rather blurry hand photos) and of course I wasn't able to get ASET images or anything like that. I feel reassured by its GIA certification and William Goldberg/Ashoka branding. I should receive it tomorrow (it has been a torturous week of shipping time). I figured/hoped that a branded cut like Ashoka wouldn't have much of a downside in terms of cut quality. The stone is smaller than my dream ring but definitely an upgrade from my previous ring. I love the style and the fact that the cut is so rare. Plus, the price seems amazing (which is maybe what has me the most nervous?)

My question is: are any of you this spontaneous with pre-loved purchases? Have you had major regrets after purchasing? I am fully prepared to love this ring, (and if I don't DH said I can sell it in a couple years to get the "dream") - just wondering if any of you would have even considered purchasing this with so few photos/information or am I a gullible moron who needs much more of a Pricescope education? ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think you are a gullible moron. It has a 15 day return policy. And the description is very detailed and so buyer protection will help there. As long as you are careful from here on out to get a GOOD appraisal and don't get too attached until you get the appraisal completed, you'll be okay.

I do think you need a VERY good appraiser. Where are you located? Let's get you to one.

Also have you seen Ashoka cuts in person, or that type of cut in person?

love2liveatthebeach

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reassurance Gypsy! I am in Southern California (OC) - my first stop was going to be a GIA appraiser, and of course referrals would be much appreciated. I have to say I've never seen the cut in person (there aren't any retailers in SoCal that I can see), just obsessed over photos of it online.

The moment of truth will be tomorrow - I will try not to fall in love upon arrival and will wait until it is verified by an appraisal.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the ring checks out with an appraiser, you got it for a great price - you would pay $2500.00 or more these days for a platinum halo setting and I think Ashoka cuts are very pretty - hopefully you will love it!!!!

love2liveatthebeach

Rough_Rock
Thank you Gypsy - I will definitely check them out. I look forward to hearing what he says.

Thanks Arkieb1 - fingers crossed I made a good purchase!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I've always admired Ashoka diamonds since seeing Reese Witherspoon's old ring. I think as long as it checks out with an appraiser, you did a great job on the ebay listing! Please come back and update us on how it goes.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I simply love Ashokas. My jeweler carries them and they are certainly something special. I think you got a fantastic price! A ring like that at my jeweler would be over $20,000. Even closer to $30,000. (Not saying they are worth that, but they are very expensive in retail as far as I can tell).

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
i hope it is AMAZING- I have seen Ashoka's in person and if you love that type of cut, then you seriously got an incredible deal!! I know for a fact that a ring like the one you purchased is between 15-20K, depending on where you get it/what type of deal you get. It's about a 25-30% premium for the branded cut + the setting.

So if everything works out appraiser wise, and you love it when you see it...you SCORED!!!!!!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, this could well be an amazing ring. I'll be looking out for pictures!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have it yet? I am watching this thread with great interest - I always like the way ashokas look but they are just SO expensive and you may have just gotten a great deal on one.

love2liveatthebeach

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much everyone for your input and interest! You are getting me excited that if this is real, and pretty, it could be a great buy (fingers crossed.)

Charmypoo, I loved reading your OEC story - wow, what a lot of thought and trouble you put into that but what an amazing, gorgeous result!

Quick update: I missed UPS by 10 minutes today! So frustrating! So I am leaving in 10 minutes to go to the actual UPS hub to pick up the ring. I can't wait another day. I will post photos when I have it in a couple hours.

I made an appointment with a highly regarded appraiser here in OC on Thursday. Thank you so much for your referral Gypsy, I wish I had the time to drive up to LA but that's about a 3 hour round trip and with kids/job it just won't work. The local appraiser probably isn't quite as skilled but will just have to do to give me peace of mind and a decent insurance appraisal (assuming this is the real deal.)

If I keep it I will need the ring resized down about 2 sizes which makes me nervous due to the pavé. Are there any referrals for an excellent jeweler in OC, CA? If not, who would you recommend in LA?

Will keep everyone posted and thanks again for checking in and for the hand-holding.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
love2liveatthebeach|1406082501|3718737 said:
Thank you so much everyone for your input and interest! You are getting me excited that if this is real, and pretty, it could be a great buy (fingers crossed.)

Charmypoo, I loved reading your OEC story - wow, what a lot of thought and trouble you put into that but what an amazing, gorgeous result!

Quick update: I missed UPS by 10 minutes today! So frustrating! So I am leaving in 10 minutes to go to the actual UPS hub to pick up the ring. I can't wait another day. I will post photos when I have it in a couple hours.

I made an appointment with a highly regarded appraiser here in OC on Thursday. Thank you so much for your referral Gypsy, I wish I had the time to drive up to LA but that's about a 3 hour round trip and with kids/job it just won't work. The local appraiser probably isn't quite as skilled but will just have to do to give me peace of mind and a decent insurance appraisal (assuming this is the real deal.)

If I keep it I will need the ring resized down about 2 sizes which makes me nervous due to the pavé. Are there any referrals for an excellent jeweler in OC, CA? If not, who would you recommend in LA?

Will keep everyone posted and thanks again for checking in and for the hand-holding.

Standing by!!

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Ashokas are very cool. Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Thats some stone! Can't wait to hear what the appraiser says! SBF, :appl:
Does your eternity fit on your right hand? That's where I wear mine. Then you can buy something else that fits with the ring better.

Edit: Ok, I'm not sure what happened to the post with the picture of the ring she received? Oh, now it's appearing AFTER my post. :lol:

boymommanumber1

Rough_Rock
Okay, here it is! I'm trying not to fall in love until it is verified by an appraiser but it it pretty gorgeous. The stone is clear and so sparkly compared to my previous princess cut. The halo and band are much more delicate than they seemed in the close up EBay images. And, fun fact the stone has strong blue fluorescence which I can see using this silly black light Crayola toy my kids have. It shows up as a strong blue glow in real life even though the camera shows green.

If it is authentic the only issue besides the fact that I need to resize it is that it definitely doesn't fit my very new eternity band. Hmm, need to rethink my band....

image_2014.jpg

image_2015.jpg

image_2016.jpg

boymommanumber1

Rough_Rock
Aaah now my newbie ness is totally showing. I ended up with two usernames and can't seem to post using the original: love2liveatthebeach. So strange as I thought that was how I'm signed in. Oh well, I'm still the same person with the EBay Ashoka! I'll try to figure out how to change it in the morning.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great pictures. The stone looks much nicer in your pics than the vendors. And yes, the setting looks more proportionate.

So far it bodes well. Are you going to see Patrick soon? I'm so excited for you!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
That's some pretty amazing spread! Hopefully it can be sized down properly. Plus, I'm sure you can pick up a nice matching eternity on loupe troop or diamond bistro. What's your ring size?

love2liveatthebeach

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy and Pandabee! Yes maybe just a similar platinum delicate pavé band - I think this band is about 2mm? - will do the trick and if it is preloved and less expensive, all the better! I wear a size 5. This ring could be great with a few stackables down the road, I've always liked that look too.

I love the look of my eternity band but knew when I bought it (with the intention of wearing it alone for a couple years before getting the ering) that it might not fit whatever ering I got down the line. Assuming I keep this Ashoka it all happened much more quickly than anticipated! I can occasionally wear the eternity on my right hand or wear it when I need less bling.

Curious to find out which account this posts from as I've been switching between iPad and laptop....

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely!!! Please keep us posted!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm officially jealous!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Super pretty! Congrats!!!

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This looks like a well-made, quality ring with an unusual stone. I really like the strong blue florescence. If the appraisal checks out I think you've got a keeper.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty ring & cool diamond! I hope it checks out for you :appl:

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I absolutely LOVE it, and when you do get your 3ct upgrade in the future I will be happy to take this one off your hands :love: :bigsmile: Good Job and good luck with the appraisal, but this looks prettttty legit!!!

Also I did want to throw out that I also have an eternity band that doesn't "play well" with my engagement ring- however, I wear my band when travelling, running errands, etc and I love that I have a blingy band for all the time when I don't want to take/ wear my ring. My suggestion would be to absolutely keep and wear your band for those "wedding ring only" days, and then get another one that matches this ring for when you want a whole set. Then you are always covered- AND you get to buy another band ;-)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I really like it, your pics are much better, very neat looking stone!

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
From the picture and the certificate I think you did very well. I have one I bought that is a little bigger and I was told to ask for much more than that!!!(Although I have had trouble getting pricing info)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful and the Ashoka is so distinct that I am fairly certain it is authentic. What a steal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results