shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Fancy colored diamond please.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
I am a newbie to FCDs. was posting in rockytalk. moving it to here

I am eying some fancy color diamond and hunting down this one, is this a great price? I am tempting to pull the trigger

Pear shape,
1.01 carat
Fancy intense yellow,
VS2 clarity.
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
GIA certificate

$5800

[pending to request more pictures for this]

is this a steal? good deal? Opinion please!!!!!!!!!!!

Is clarity for fancy color diamond big difference? like from VS2 to SI1..20% difference?

I also found two others from DBL, if you know other good colored diamonds web. please let me know

1. cushion, 1.02,fancy yellow

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-102ct-fancy-yellow-vs1-cushion-cut-fabulous-stone-r5221

or

2. pear, 1.01ct, fancy intense yellow

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-101ct-fancy-intense-yellow-si1-pear-shape-gia-lovely-shape-r5701

I like the #2's color, but it is lower clarity. I was expecting some colored diamonds with at least VS2 clarity. is clarity important in colored diamond?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vendor people on this forum have used for colored diamonds is Leibish - http://www.leibish.com/

I don't feel comfortable commenting on which is best without pics. I will say I would prefer a fancy intense yellow to a fancy yellow.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Finally got one picture..I will try to request more..just takes time i guess..

rs-247_14_0.jpg

_20454.jpg

cactus88

Rough_Rock
distracts|1405918296|3717382 said:
Another vendor people on this forum have used for colored diamonds is Leibish - http://www.leibish.com/

I don't feel comfortable commenting on which is best without pics. I will say I would prefer a fancy intense yellow to a fancy yellow.

Thanks for recommendation. I will take a look at

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these two of the same stone? If so, they look so very different.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1405948387|3717541 said:
Are these two of the same stone? If so, they look so very different.

en...the first photo they sent me via email and the second one i got from webiste

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cutting in the center of the pear looks sort of "dead" or potentially "leaky".

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1405952690|3717589 said:
The cutting in the center of the pear looks sort of "dead" or potentially "leaky".

Thanks..It looks kinda like oval rainbow

i quite like rockdiamond's pear shape. but GIA seems state "cavity" and "etch channel" with clarity characteristics. I wonder what is that? and is bad or good on a diamond?

I am also browsing www.leibish.com diamond, prices look high...I wonder if you could do big negotiation for diamonds on leibish.com

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Could it be that the gem box is not open?????

Plastic on diamond with a bid grease - voila - like oil on water...

Like it very much!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Marlow|1405962409|3717664 said:

Like it very much!

I was going to say the same thing. I think the gem box is just squeezing the stone.

There is a little bit of photo manipulation going on though because the gem box's cotton isn't white.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
athenaworth|1405963256|3717668 said:
Marlow|1405962409|3717664 said:

Like it very much!

I was going to say the same thing. I think the gem box is just squeezing the stone.

There is a little bit of photo manipulation going on though because the gem box's cotton isn't white.

Thnks a lot..

Any comment on the quality/price of the stone?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I personally like the DBL pear more based on these pictures. I think the color is a bit more even than on the other pear. As for price, it's not insanely high. I'd say it's priced about right.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's right, it's still in the case, so that could be why it has that corona effect too.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
athenaworth|1405965405|3717689 said:
I personally like the DBL pear more based on these pictures. I think the color is a bit more even than on the other pear. As for price, it's not insanely high. I'd say it's priced about right.

Thanks a lot

I took a closer look at the DBL pear shape. It is lovely . but with SI1 clarity, i found in GIA it has quite a bit of clarity characteristics

Etch Channel, Cavity, Indented Natural, Twinning Wisp, Feather, Extra Facet

what are "etch channel , cavity"?

I do noticed it had quite a bit of cavities if i enlarge the GIA cert...should i be bothered in terms of durability, or others? or with SI1 clarity, it can be ignored

Attachments

• pear.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 430

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pears are great about masking inclusions. My FLY is a pear and it's I1 and I don't even notice the inclusions unless I take macro pictures of it.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
No not really - just a FAT color!!!

Imagine a yellow tulip or daffodil....

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

cactus88

Rough_Rock
athenaworth|1405973131|3717789 said:
cactus88|1405969436|3717738 said:
Marlow|1405968869|3717730 said:

beautiful color. But it is a bit dark? was it because it is vivid?

Have you seen any fancy yellows in person? I've found that I like the color of fancy lights more than fancy vivids, but it really is all in the eye of the beholder.

Never seen in person.

i thought light yellow is more transparent, hence more see through?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They're all transparent. Lighter fancies are just that - lighter in color.

diag_diamondcolor_fancyyellow.gif

cactus88

Rough_Rock

Very helpful comments. Could you please advice regarding the cavities thing in DBL's pear shape diamond? How would it affect the stone ? Is it bad or good

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The first diamond in the gembox - where is it from - I really like it.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cactus88|1405978760|3717862 said:

Very helpful comments. Could you please advice regarding the cavities thing in DBL's pear shape diamond? How would it affect the stone ? Is it bad or good

I'd contact DBL and ask if the feathers (or any of them) are surface reaching inclusions (meaning do they reach all the way up to the surface or are they enclosed within the stone). I can't imagine that they'd effect the performance of the stone, however, but it's always best to contact the person who is holding the stone in their hand.

Marlow: I like the color in the gem box a lot too - but the one outside of the gem box makes the color look uneven.

ANJELICA

Rough_Rock
Superb , mind blowing this fancy diamonds are really amazing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there's one inclusion that breaks the surface for the DBL pear, on the crown area. I generally shy away from open inclusions in coloured stones but am not sure how I feel about it in FCDs. I am more forgiving of open fractures or cavities in the pavilion area because that part sees very little "action".

I still would want to see the RD pear straight on. All the pictures and video are at an angle (except the oiled case), which hides what I suspect is a fairly large windowed area.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1406041813|3718238 said:
I think there's one inclusion that breaks the surface for the DBL pear, on the crown area. I generally shy away from open inclusions in coloured stones but am not sure how I feel about it in FCDs. I am more forgiving of open fractures or cavities in the pavilion area because that part sees very little "action".

I still would want to see the RD pear straight on. All the pictures and video are at an angle (except the oiled case), which hides what I suspect is a fairly large windowed area.

Thanks for the comments. what is the large windowed area you mentioned? Is it harmful to the stone? Does it reduce the price of the stone ?

cactus88

Rough_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A windowed area is where the stone is either too shallow or not cut correctly to allow light to bounce back to the viewer's eyes. Light goes straight in the top and out the back, so instead of seeing the yellow colour, you can see what is underneath it (your skin, the setting, etc). If the window is small, it will not be obvious once set. Having a stone completely cupped (totally enclosed at the bottom) can lessen the effect. It has no effect on the structural integrity of the stone.

_20494.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results